Quantcast

Runners - knee braces?

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
Can anyone suggest a knee brace for a minor tendon/ligament strain? Places to purchase online?
Was this a diagnosis from a Dr? Just curious. If so, he/she would likely send you to physical therapy before clearing you to run. The PT would recommend a brace if needed at all. Which tendon/ligament was injured? How'd you injure it?

If you use a knee brace it should be out of necessity and should be tailored for the type of injury you received. Using a brace just because you feel some pain from a fall, or from overuse, could mask a serious injury, not to mention causing your body to rely too much on the brace, resulting in muscular atrophy and inhibiting healing.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
No its just my personal diagnosis. I tried to stop too abruptly on a downhill slope and I felt a ligament get strained on the outside of my knee. It hurt a fair amount at first, but it has been getting better pretty quickly. I'm not worried about it being serious - but as it is I can't run on it two days in a row.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
:D sounds like fun! :thumb:

I have pretty bad knees, resulting from partially torn tendons as a kid that have given me fits ever since. I usually prefer braces that have the donut around the kneecap. Quite comfy and they tend to apply pressure in the right places (usually you can purchase a light support one at your local drugstore).

I also found one that is a great After-workout brace where the internals around the donut part of the brace come out and can be either warmed in a microwave or frozen, and then put back in in the area where it aches. I'd have to do some research to see if I can't find that one online.

However, I also agree with El Jefe, don't go looking for a full heavy duty brace without your Doctor's advice. There are so many types of knee injuries that if this is a serious one you don't want to go putting the wrong kind of major bracing on it. The light braces you can pick up at your drugstore will probably give you a good bit of support while the strain heals itself. Don't forget to take a bit of Ibuprofin to cut any internal swelling after your run, and careful stretching of that area on your legs (watch the hamstring stretch..that can cause more injuries to your knees once injured).

Good luck! Knee injuries suck because they can take forever to heal.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
For temp use, I've had luck with the generic knee cap donut variety. They seem to so a good job of keeping everything tracking properly.
Are you sure you didn't hurt you meniscus? When I tore mine there, I thought that I had fracured the head of my fibula and an EMT thought I strained my LCL. The MRI told a different story.

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
If your knee is already feeling a bit better after two days, give it a few more. I have done the same (pretty sure) exact thing as you and my sister in law (sports therapist) had me ice for 20 on hour off, elevate and try to stay off it. Needless to say I was riding in about 9 days and could have run (I don't) within a two week period. No braces. She said that if you just take it easy on it it will heal quickly, and a brace can prolong healing becasue the knee feels fine with the brace and you end up doing more damage before it is ready to go. Also, I got prescription Naproxsyn from my doc. It helped with the swelling and pressure around the joint. Good luck, I know it is hard to not train when you are so used to it, but some time now could prevent a six month rehab after a surgery if you really muck it up!

Originally posted by BikeGeek
I strained a knee ligament on a sudden stop and turn playing deck hockey. My doctor recommended not playing for several weeks and then using one of these when I do play.

http://www.mcdavidinc.com/brace/prods/425.htm
I think braces like those have a very specific purpose - to restrict the patella from moving. Those may be too restrictive for running.

I think you'd really want good lateral support. In that case I would just get an ace bandage (big one 4" or so) and tape it. I played my last year of high school softball (as a catcher) taping both knees from thigh to calf. It sucked but it worked.

and lots of ice after you run.

I've had chronic knee problems since I was a kid. Knee pain sucks.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
I think braces like those have a very specific purpose - to restrict the patella from moving. Those may be too restrictive for running.
It's not bad with all the running in a game, but you're right, there's probably something more comfortable on the market.