Quantcast

Running n00b

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
So I am interested in running. My commute time and work schedule leaves me with way too few riding opportunities these days. (I am trying to change this...)

I figured that running could be a nice drop-of-the-hat exercise that I can do in the evenings and/or at lunch time.

I am on a cholesterol reduced diet and I need to drop about 10-15 lbs (at least). With 20+ hours of commuting and 50+ hours of work each week, this is getting to be difficult. I can't get the riding in like I used to.

Later when I get work closer to home I want to combine running and riding and swimming at the Y.

Problem: I haven't ran since I was a teen.

What is a good beginner shoe? What the hell do I look for?

I know so far:

1) I want to run on local trails, the local school track and the street.
2) I need a shoe that can stand up to a 218 lb caveman.
3) My feet are pretty much "normal". I don't have super high arches or flat feet.
4) My feet are narrow, about a 12b
4) I do get some occasional knee pain from bursitus

Suggestions?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I got a pair of these and they seem to be doing Ok. I'm in the 215ish range. Had a pair of New Balance trail shoes before. Biggest thing I do is only wear them for running to keep from breaking them down any faster.

Just been running on the pavement because I don't want to drive to the trail and I've been taking the kiddos in the stroller.

Been running for the last couple of months. Not helping me with weight loss at all.:mumble: Could be a combo of developing different muscles for running, and I've been hitting the legs hard at the gym too. Legs are definitely getting bigger.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Wumpus said:
I got a pair of these and they seem to be doing Ok. I'm in the 215ish range. Had a pair of New Balance trail shoes before. Biggest thing I do is only wear them for running to keep from breaking them down any faster.

Just been running on the pavement because I don't want to drive to the trail and I've been taking the kiddos in the stroller.

Been running for the last couple of months. Not helping me with weight lost at all.:mumble: Could be a combo of developing different muscles for running, and I've been hitting the legs hard at the gym too. Legs are definitely getting bigger.
Thanks, those PI shoes are no longer there though.

Bigger legs = lots more lbs.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i recently got a pair of adidas which are by far the best running shoes i've ever used. not sure of the brand, but they look like a silver-edged creamsicle, if that helps.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
i recently got a pair of adidas
Ok.

narlus said:
not sure of the brand.
:think:

narlus said:
they look like a silver-edged creamsicle, if that helps.
Every godamn shoe I look at is a silver creamsicle or Buck Rogers fairy boot. Whatever happened to practical design asthetics?

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
you might want to go to a local shoe/running store and tell them what kind of running your planning on doing and most of the time the salespeople are knowledgable and can assist you in finding and fitting a shoe that will fit to your foot and your running style

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
H8R said:
Ok.

:think:

Every godamn shoe I look at is a silver creamsicle or Buck Rogers fairy boot. Whatever happened to practical design asthetics?
i shook off the layer of pixie dust and stuck my nose close enough so i could see the MAKE (not brand)...it's OZWEEGO...pretty ghey.

but the shoes rock. i'd buy 'em again in a nanosecond.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.shoedeals4u.com/images/shoes/large/039415.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.shoedeals4u.com/detail.asp?ShoeId=039415&h=500&w=500&sz=35&tbnid=ANFm15PCNqrATM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=127&hl=en&start=49&prev=/images?q=ozweego&start=40&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2005-09,GGGL:en&sa=N

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Lightweight shoe rules..Not too high to avoid an ankle roll !!!
I can trail run faster than XC biking on most trails,but you have to be fast & fit to do that !
Jogging is cool.Running like a bear is after you is great !

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
H8R said:
Ouch.

Running hurts.
take it slow. I tried to get tn to start running with me and he insisted on running my whole route with me at a super fast pace. Woke up the next day so sore that he could barely walk and hasn't run with me since.

nice running shoes are definitely worth the money. it took me a couple of years of running before i would drop some serious money on shoes. now that I do, I don't see how I was putting in 40 miles a week in low end new balance (I bought all my shoes off the sale table).

I would recommend a specialty running store as well. Its kind of like buying bike equipment from walmart or a bike shop. If you don't know what you are doing, the specialty stores can really help you out. some even record you running on a treadmill and then examine your stride, gate, all that and recommend a shoe thats right for you.

Good luck, and be patient. it takes a while to really start enjoying it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
narlus said:
i never have gotten to the stage of 'enjoyment' but can tolerate it, esp w/ music.

It took 4 years of running, training for a marathon, getting burnt out and quitting, and then starting up again for the pure enjoyment of being outdoors that made me really appreciate running.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
laura said:
It took 4 years of running, training for a marathon, getting burnt out and quitting, and then starting up again for the pure enjoyment of being outdoors that made me really appreciate running.
I'll be happy if I get past the "oh sh*t I am soo slow and weak - screw this, I want to go home and hide in the garage and drink iced coffee..." stage.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
If you want the "shoe for big boys" go for the Brooks Beast. I used to get them but the cost of replacing them every 300 miles was brutal (and the soles were shot by that point). I have since been sticking with cheaper New Balances (470, 472 or 476) that I can get in 4Es at the discount shoe place.

As far as how to start?

Go run.
Suffer.
Run some more.

I started about ten years ago and have run off and on since then. I got the great idea this winter to do a trail marathon. The mileage started small (3-4 miles a run) and has built up from there. I did 23 miles off road this weekend. It was only supposed to be 20, but I got lost in the woods. That sucked and now I hurt, but I think that I will be ready in 3 weeks.

The moral of all that is just go out and do it. It'll hurt and suck, but the mileage will add up and you will get pretty good at it before you know it. Then you should find a 5K race just for grins.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
DNA said:
I have since been sticking with cheaper New Balances (470, 472 or 476) that I can get in 4Es at the discount shoe place.
I got the 476's on recommendation from the local sporting goods store. They seems fine but I am comparing this to hiking and running on trails in an old pair of Vans.

I may look for a model that comes in "B" width on my next pair.

DNA said:
Go run.
Suffer.
Run some more.
This is the plan.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Serial Midget said:
Asics GEL Nimbus.
I have these. I'm also a supinating runner, so they work really well for me.

They are friggin ugly as all get out. Mine are brignt green and silver... Buck Rogers' fairy boots indeed.

But, boy, do they work well for my feets. They keep my feet stable, and goodness are they comfy.

as for that whole hating to run thing....
I *hate* running.

Why run when I can ride and get there faster and easier?

But I feel sooooooooooooo good after I have run a few miles.

One thing that I have tried to make sure that I do get out and run is signing up for a race. You sure as heck don't want to be the last person, or even picked up by the bus, so you train.

I signed up for the Capitol Hill Classic (6 miles) on May 20th (or 21st???), and as much as I don't like running, I force myself to go out and do my miles. I'm not looking for first place. I just want to finish without being kicked off the course for being too slow.

:thumb:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
MudGrrl said:
One thing that I have tried to make sure that I do get out and run is signing up for a race. You sure as heck don't want to be the last person, or even picked up by the bus, so you train.
That is so true. Plus, if you have a race, then it is easier to use a set training schedule.

Something like:

Week Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
1 Rest or run/walk 1.5 m run Rest or run/walk 1.5 m run Rest 1.5 m run 30- 60 min walk
2 Rest or run/walk 1.75 m run Rest or run/walk 1.5 m run Rest 1.75 m run 35-60 min walk
3 Rest or run/walk 2 mi run Rest or run/walk 1.5 m run Rest 2 MI run 40-60 min walk
4 Rest or run/walk 2.25 m run Rest or run/walk 1.5 m run Rest 2.25 m run 45-60 min walk
5 Rest or run/walk 2.5 m run Rest or run/walk 2 m run Rest 2.5 m run 50-60 min walk
6 Rest or run/walk 2.75 m run Rest or run/walk 2 m run Rest 2.75 m run 55-60 min walk
7 Rest or run/walk 3 m run Rest or run/walk 2 m run Rest 3 m run 60 min walk
8 Rest or run/walk 3 m run Rest or run/walk 2 m run Rest Rest 5-K Race

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
H8R said:
I'll be happy if I get past the "oh sh*t I am soo slow and weak - screw this, I want to go home and hide in the garage and drink iced coffee..." stage.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: that's me!!! I'm stoked if I can run a mile straight. But it beats not working out all day!

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
Last year at this time, I was struggling with 2 miles.

This year.... I do 4.5 and 5.5 miles.... they give me a good workout but don't kill me.

and... just in case nobody has heard me mention it before....
Hashing is a good way to forget the pain and boredom of running. It actually makes running fun.
And you get to meet some new interesting people and drink beer.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
MudGrrl said:
barefoot running?

whose sick idea of a good time came up with that?
Barefoot runners are to the running world as rigid ss'ers are to the cycling world, or at least that's how I see it.

I don't recall where exactly I first read about barefoot running, but I certainly thought it was an interesting idea. I plan on doing a few miles each week barefoot for two reasons. 1) to toughen my feet and lower leg muscles and 2) to improve my form. I'm still very much a new runner, so hopefully this work will pay off once I really start to increase the mileage.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Another thing came to mind after Saturday's long run. Don't be afraid to replace a pair of shoes after a couple hundred miles. I weigh in over 200 lbs. and mine break down relatively quickly (200-250 miles). I have noticed weird pains (often in the knees) that go away as soon I get a new pair. I accidentally grabbed an old pair (that I had been keeping around to wear when I mow the lawn) instead of my new pair. I noticed after a couple of miles that they felt different but didn't go home and change. After 6 or 8 miles, I could really tell that the soles were shot and I still have some odd pains today that I haven't had before after long runs. I blame the worn shoes.

The moral of the story is don't be cheap. Replace your shoes when they start to break down.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
DNA said:
Another thing came to mind after Saturday's long run. Don't be afraid to replace a pair of shoes after a couple hundred miles. I weigh in over 200 lbs. and mine break down relatively quickly (200-250 miles). I have noticed weird pains (often in the knees) that go away as soon I get a new pair. I accidentally grabbed an old pair (that I had been keeping around to wear when I mow the lawn) instead of my new pair. I noticed after a couple of miles that they felt different but didn't go home and change. After 6 or 8 miles, I could really tell that the soles were shot and I still have some odd pains today that I haven't had before after long runs. I blame the worn shoes.

The moral of the story is don't be cheap. Replace your shoes when they start to break down.

Noted.

I re-learned something this weekend:

While running on trails, low slung blackberry bushes can trip you. And it hurts.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
reflux said:
I run in Puma H Streets. I've started barefoot running, but it's going to take a few weeks to build up the skin on my feet and toes.

http://store.puma.com/pumaUSStore/product.asp?catalog_name=PUMAUS&category_name=WomensLifestyleFootwear&product_id=18077905&productType=Footwear&mainCategory=Men&shopBy=style&search=1&siteid=1

Form isn't everything, but with my bad knees, it means a lot.

I've been thinking about barefoot running. I'd be interested in an update on your progress if you don't mind.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
reflux said:
Barefoot runners are to the running world as rigid ss'ers are to the cycling world, or at least that's how I see it.
I remember my stepfather getting into barefoot running when we were kids.

He'd run at the school fireld and on the edges of the neighbor's lawns.

Until one evening he didn't see the 10" high brick border in between the two lawns down the street. Shattered ALL of his toes.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
laura said:
I've been thinking about barefoot running. I'd be interested in an update on your progress if you don't mind.
Barefoot running feels surprisingly second nature...if your form is somewhat "right" to begin with. If you haven't done so already, google "barefoot running." I recall getting a crapload of links right off the bat.

My experience: I have gone barefoot running only 3 times, each around a distance of only a mile or so. The asphalt around where I run is very clean and free of debris, so I tried it out there. Note: this doesn't count tooling around at a local soccer field. Like running in general, the best advice I took when just starting was to take it easy and start small. You know what? Even with going slow, I found that they were right. I "ran" each mile around a 10 min pace, but I really should've started off with a combo of running and walking b/c I developed a blister on my second toe, two of the three times.

I haven't barefoot ran in two weeks due to a tri and Moab, but I'm looking to go again either tonight or tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes...and you do the same.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
marapets said:
whats the best and comfiest shoes to run in?
It all depends on your running style. What works for me (Puma H Streets) may not work well for others.

Do you have a specialty running store near you? I'm not talking about a Foot Locker or the like, but a store frequented by true runners and triathletes. A good salesperson will look at your stride, discuss with you your goals, and help you choose a shoe that will fit your needs.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
I'm all for being barefoot......

but there is too much crap out there to puncture my tender little feet...

like nails, and glass, and other pointy things.

I've already been to the emergency room once for stepping on a nail. And that was with a shoe on.

The other thing that I would be worried about is that I am a supinator (I have high arches that don't absorb as much shock as other people), and removing the sweet cushioney goodness of my shoes would probably result in joint failure.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
MudGrrl said:
The other thing that I would be worried about is that I am a supinator (I have high arches that don't absorb as much shock as other people), and removing the sweet cushioney goodness of my shoes would probably result in joint failure.
Hell, I don't know if I pronate or supinate...mainly b/c it doesn't matter if you barefoot run.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
reflux said:
Hell, I don't know if I pronate or supinate...mainly b/c it doesn't matter if you barefoot run.
Ouch... it most certainly does matter. I cannot think of a good reason to run barefoot. One stone bruise can set you back for weeks and weeks.

At the very least I think you should consider racing flats, they should be hardcore enough to impress most runners. :)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Serial Midget said:
I cannot think of a good reason to run barefoot.
I came up with a few reasons, none of them good:

1) Extreme poverty
2) Running from a jealous lover that caught you naked with their spouse
3) You're house is on fire

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
reflux said:
it definitely does matter. It matters more with no kind of support what so ever. My arches and ankles fall in, badly. I am working on form now, removed my orthodics a couple of months a go. I plan to start on a track and see how i like. Preferably an indoor track although I don't know of any free ones. stone bruises hurt and I don't want one.