Quantcast

Running shock backwards?

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
As the title suggests i want to run a shock backwards in my 09 DHR. In order to get some of the larger reservoir shocks to fit they have to be turned around in the frame. Any problems doing so?

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
unless there is an interference issue and you can get to all the adjustments it shouldn't be a problem..

The oil in the shock is held in place by a floating piston under pressure so it wont effect your damping..

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Running your shock backwards will reverse the directions of your damping, in other words your rebound adjuster will adjust your compression settings and vice versa. You also have to make sure you flip your spring around so it isn't pushing the wrong way.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Running your shock backwards will reverse the directions of your damping, in other words your rebound adjuster will adjust your compression settings and vice versa. You also have to make sure you flip your spring around so it isn't pushing the wrong way.

I think Jenson had a special offer on 2-way springs now, no need to flip it if you get one of those.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
As the title suggests i want to run a shock backwards in my 09 DHR. In order to get some of the larger reservoir shocks to fit they have to be turned around in the frame. Any problems doing so?
no, the only disadvantage would be greater unsprung weight, which is debatable.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
They now make a reverse thread preload adjuster, so no more need to flip around the spring:thumb:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Those problems can easily be addressed with a Dregal Valve assembly and dual floating compensator accumulators available from Mush Suspension:thumb:
I thought the Dregal valve only worked on non-platform shocks though. I guess one could use the Dregal inline with some type of capacitive duractant to reduce the effects of a platform shock.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
I thought the Dregal valve only worked on non-platform shocks though. I guess one could use the Dregal inline with some type of capacitive duractant to reduce the effects of a platform shock.
That's correct! It's also advisable to use a non stick throttling-knob in the sub-par-assembly at the same time, to avoid side fumbling of course.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
That's correct! It's also advisable to use a non stick throttling-knob in the sub-par-assembly at the same time, to avoid side fumbling of course.
You bring up a good point but my thoughts are that panametric needle bearings along the sub-par assembly have inversely the same characteristics as the throttling knob without any of the need for the machining work to allow fitment of the stiction inhibitor valve on the throttling knob and at the same time provides far great high tension anocapulatic tensile strength, so much so that side fumbling becomes virtually non-existant.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i sold a RC4 to a friend with a DHR and go-ride (the place he got the frame from) said not to run the shock backwards.
any ideas why?

BUNKERCHUNKS

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
EAST COAST
i sold a RC4 to a friend with a DHR and go-ride (the place he got the frame from) said not to run the shock backwards.
any ideas why?
First off it was not Go-Ride that told me the shock would fit but Turner Bikes, so it was a costly mistake. It seems you have the same problem I had ,being reservoir will hit the tube above mounting eyelet. Running the shock backwards will add weight to the area that has the most movement, plus a better chance of impact damage to the reservoir during a crash. I'm currently running a Roco WC with no issues. Just sell the RC4 as I did at a loss!!, and call Avalanche they can set you up with a nice new shock with a remote res or get a roco ($329 at pricepoint) . I'm going to send my Roco to Avalanche for a re:build/tune as soon as i can . Just my to cents

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
First off it was not Go-Ride that told me the shock would fit but Turner Bikes, so it was a costly mistake. It seems you have the same problem I had ,being reservoir will hit the tube above mounting eyelet. Running the shock backwards will add weight to the area that has the most movement, plus a better chance of impact damage to the reservoir during a crash. I'm currently running a Roco WC with no issues. Just sell the RC4 as I did at a loss!!, and call Avalanche they can set you up with a nice new shock with a remote res or get a roco ($329 at pricepoint) . I'm going to send my Roco to Avalanche for a re:build/tune as soon as i can . Just my to cents
what size frame did you have? thinking my large might have a lil more clearance room

BUNKERCHUNKS

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
EAST COAST
The eyelet clearance (from above tube) should be the same as my medium. Its a great frame worth the investment of a proper shock. All I know is the RC4 will not fit.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Did anyone ever put the shock on the frame and cycle it through the travel to verify this?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
A tiny bit of weight from the body end of the shock, compared to the weight of a DH wheel levered out 3x is not going to make a damn bit of performance difference. The point is that the shock options on that frame are severely limited because they design the frame to fit the shadow of a DHX5 and that is all. That's the way around it.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I don't own one anymore, but was always curious. Never cycled a shock to verify it.

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
its official rc4 doesnt fit no matter what way you turn it. if ran backwards the top if the shock tops out onto the links

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Damn. I was kinda hoping it wouldnt fit so I could better justify taking the dhr off my new bike for next year list. I want one so bad, but the steep ha and 1 1/8 head tube dont work for me.