Quantcast

Running Shoes

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
I have wide feet, and I find that New Balance has a good selection of shoes in a number of widths. They are reasonably priced, hold up well, and, last time I heard, were made in the U.S.

If you're thinking about running trail, which is the only running that as a mountain biker will be remotely tolerable, look into their 800-series shoes.

I also recommend using wool riding socks for running, such as SmartWools, if you've already got them.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by geargrrl
go to a shop that's for runners, they should be able to look at your feet, gait and put you in a correct shoe.

gg

Best Advice.......if it's a good store they should let you take a quick jog in them to make sure they feel gooooood:)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The best advise is to go to the best running specific store in your area, should be easy enough to locate and it will be staffed by experienced runners. Brand means squat, buy whatever fits best. If the sales person does not ask you lot's of questions and make suggestions - just walk away. You want an experienced runner to fit you, someone who can look at your gait and know if you pronate or not... avoid big boxes and large chains. The small specialty shops will have what you need.

Price makes no difference but don't be swayed by it, don't buy the cheap / clearance shoes unless they are the best fit. Be prepared to spend $75.00 to $100.00 every 300 to 400 miles, running shoes can be worn out and still look new... I go through 5 or 6 pairs a year.

And good luck! Running is excellent excercise. :thumb:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by Serial Midget
15 mile trail loop in the Capital Forest Sunday at 9AM... wanna? :)

I have never gone trailrunning.....plus I have never run more than a 10k in one time.

For some reason I really want to go!!!!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Snacks
I have never gone trailrunning.....plus I have never run more than a 10k in one time.

For some reason I really want to go!!!!
Then you should. You might be able to work a shuttle deal by parking at Fall Creek... we're meeting at Wedekind Camp, from there it's all downhill to Fall Creek, not that it's easy - it's still on a trail. LMK. I wouldn't suggest the entire 15 miles for a first trail run but I could pick you up for a shuttle... you could run while hubby does that DH thingy. :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by gorgechris
I knew it was only a matter of time until SM posted on this running-related thread!

Konabumm, be careful about what SM says: he'll have you trying 50-mile trail runs soon.
I've never run a 50 miler yet but I began training for one this Monday, my first one will be in the spring. I have run a dozen or so 50Ks in the last 2 years but that is only 31 miles each. :)

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
I liked both my aisics and my saucony's. I have worn out the saucony pretty well but still use them for football, biking, and mowing the lawn because they are so comfortable. The aisics look sweet and are comfy too.
________
BODY SCIENCE

Last edited:

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Not a huge runner, but I've heard New Balance fits wider feet good, and they have lots of width options so you can get it right. Also with flat feet you may want to look into orthotics, either over the counter or custom made. That will prevent lots of discomfort and prevent your feet from being broken down even further.