Quantcast

Running??

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
In an effort to diversify what I do for workouts and to get bennefits that biking doesn't give me, I'm going to start running. Temporarily at least. I run once and a while, but it never lasts much more than a week. My Grandpa was an avid runner and told me that in order to enjoy running, you have to do it regularly for a month or so before it becomes enjoyable. I believe him, but it's hard to get to that point. This is why my good friend and I will be training simultaneously for a half marathon in May.

Without much of a running form to speak of, I want to attempt a correct form without the heel strike type running. To me, this means I want to find a shoe without a giant heel. I don't want to go with the five finger barefoot shoes just yet- that's a little too much for my taste, and probably my body.

What I would like to know is are there any of you here who have switched to a more minimal running shoe, do you like it, and what would you reccomend for a noob like myself?

The runners I work with are either a.) super old school, or b.) jerks, so hopefully someone here can provide me input.

Thanks ahead of time for any ideas!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The only runners I've known who ran in flats outside of competition consistently suffered from stone bruises - track type shoes are not good for street running but they will help you to ball strike.

Haha - I said ball strike...

Best advice - run with friends or a group that meets to run a couple times each week.

Last edited:

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I use $20 shoes from Big 5. Then again, I only run on tracks and our track is very cushioned (at 22 I already have really bad knees).

If you really want to help with riding or try something different...try running stadiums also. They're brutal but really help.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Best advice - run with friends or a group that meets to run a couple times each week.
I need to do this. I started running in 2007, blew out my knee in 2008, and just started up again on the treadmill. I am at the point where the runs are enjoyable and I look forward to them.

I'd like to run a half-marathon this year in honor of a marathon runner friend and fellow beerie who collapsed and died on a run a few months back. I've got work to do....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Without much of a running form to speak of, I want to attempt a correct form without the heel strike type running. To me, this means I want to find a shoe without a giant heel. I don't want to go with the five finger barefoot shoes just yet- that's a little too much for my taste, and probably my body.

What I would like to know is are there any of you here who have switched to a more minimal running shoe, do you like it, and what would you reccomend for a noob like myself?
I'm not expert, but here are some things I've found:

First off go to a running store and get fitted for a good pair of running shoes. It's more important than you thing, and the latest fad of barefoot running is good but not great, and you'll always use real running shoes for general long distance running unless you're a hardcore kind of a guy or an idiot. You can supplement your barefoot running with regular running in the future, or whatever you want to do, but it's worth it to get good shoes for your type of feet.

Second grab a set of five fingers, or run barefoot on your treadmill at home. You don't need to do this on a trail and it's potentially very harmful, but you need to get a feel for barefoot running to do it right, and there's no substitute. If you try and run barefoot, you _cannot_ strike with your heel or it will hurt very badly. Play with it a little and find a stride that works for you. Once you know how to do it, you can run "barefoot style" in any shoe, even a megasneaker.

You can certainly run "barefoot style" in any shoes, but it's all about the form, and running actually barefoot or in VFF will encourage the appropriate stride before you try it in sneakers.

FWIW, I have Saucony Grid Triumphs, VFF KSOs, and some kind of minimalist New Balance shoe I bought as a street shoe, but ended up running in when the KSOs weren't available in my size. The new balances are a good cross between the minimal soled KSOs and the mega-squish Sauconys, so they have a reasonable amount of foot protection but not enough heel cushioning, so they're easy to run "barefoot style" in.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Thanks for the link!

I only run when "motivated".
I'm trying to use this half marathon as "good" motivation- we'll see!

I'm not expert, but here are some things I've found:

First off go to a running store and get fitted for a good pair of running shoes. It's more important than you thing, and the latest fad of barefoot running is good but not great, and you'll always use real running shoes for general long distance running unless you're a hardcore kind of a guy or an idiot. You can supplement your barefoot running with regular running in the future, or whatever you want to do, but it's worth it to get good shoes for your type of feet.

FWIW, I have Saucony Grid Triumphs, VFF KSOs, and some kind of minimalist New Balance shoe I bought as a street shoe, but ended up running in when the KSOs weren't available in my size. The new balances are a good cross between the minimal soled KSOs and the mega-squish Sauconys, so they have a reasonable amount of foot protection but not enough heel cushioning, so they're easy to run "barefoot style" in.
Thanks for the shoe suggestions- I think I'm going to take yours (and others) advice to check out a running store to get fitted with the right shoes. There are so many freaking shoes, I feel like being new to this, I'm very unlikely to pick the best for what I need. I know I might be ok just going for it, but I think I'd rather give my body the best chance possible with the right shoes at this point. I do know that I have very wimpy feet when it comes to running. I'll try to let you guys know what I go with and how I do.

Now to find some running partners!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
check out a running store to get fitted with the right shoes.
werd. Here's a quick tip. Step out of the shower and onto the dry floor, standing straight up feet together. Now step back and look at your footprints (you can also do this in sand if you have a sandbox, beach, or a litterbox [you sick bstrd]). If your feet show one pad up front and one in the back, with a very small connection or none at all, you should be in a cushioning shoe. If your feet have a very broad connection, you need support. The amount of support varies between the two, but basically if you have flat feet, you need support....if you have very bad feet you need lots, and not so much, you can get away with less. I don't think having support is bad for a neutral runner or underpronator, but it's the sort of thing where if you have a good foot/natural stride and can get away with additional cushioning, why not?

moral of the story, see if you can figure yourself out but go anyways. I got fitted once and they totally messed up (this is marathon sports boston, one of the best places to go, typically) and they messed up my GF's fitting too...but then I went back other times and they were spot on. If I didn't suspect something was fishy, I would have walked out with $150 super over-pronator shoes, when I'm actually a neutral runner.

Jrod155

Chimp
Nov 4, 2010
i switched to five fingers last year, it's 6 weeks of hell for a huge pay off. I can run so much longer and more comfortable now. I have super flat feet.

train for races, then at least your running for a reason.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I did, that's what inspired this whole ordeal. Before the book I had an anti-running outlook. Why run? Bikes are so much more fun (and faster!) That book changed my mind on the subject, hence my attempt at a half marathon. Stoked!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I did, that's what inspired this whole ordeal. Before the book I had an anti-running outlook. Why run? Bikes are so much more fun (and faster!) That book changed my mind on the subject, hence my attempt at a half marathon. Stoked!
it was a great read, eh?
it is funny I would spend close to $100 on shoes AND had nasty plantars facitis (sp?) but switched to walking barefoot & running in my old worn out shoes it has fixed my PF. it all boiled down to too much arch support, among other things.

I hear ya on the riding being more fun. I hate running on pavement but LOVE running on trails.

Good luck on the 1/2 marathon!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i've been an off/on runner since joining the marines in '96. i ran a 1/2 marathon last year and learned a lot about myself and how i run. getting fitted for running shoes is a must ans your body will tell you that your shoes suck after about the 6 or 7 mile mark. i don't know how big you are but i'm a biggun (for a runner) at around 5'10"/235lbs so proper shoes are that much more important.
i have ditched my plan to run a full marathon after the half jacked up my left knee....now i'm more interested in adventure/mud races and off-road triathalons.

good luck and remember that successful running is all in your head!

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Update: week one of the 12 week training regime has ended and I've been doing well. The first three miler was brutal, second was better and today's run felt good (as a run has ever felt to me).

I'm glad that I went to an actual running store and got "fitted", so thanks everyone for the advice. I bought some Saucony Ride 3 shoes and tried them for the first time this morning on my 4 mile run and they are great. I talked to the guy at the store about more minimal shoes, and he didn't reccomend it for me being a novice. He said doing some here and there would be good, but when I get sloppy and tired running distances that I've never done before, that support is good.
The shoes fit my narrow foot well, AND I didn't even know that I've been using shose that are too small. I can slow down on downhills now without it hurting my feet ( I guess I thought that was normal???) I'm using a 12 week training schedule and using bike riding as my "cross training". I think I may be overdoing that part a bit, but I'm sure that will change if the weather goes to sh*t.
Still no running partner, but I seem to be doing ok with ipod and remote heckling of my friend in oregon training for the same half marathon...

Anyway, still excited- looking forward to being able to run well!

(and honestly hoping to see some benefit to biking ;))

Last edited:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I talked to the guy at the store about more minimal shoes, and he didn't reccomend it for me being a novice.
In my experience, the guys in the running stores will always try to discourage minimal shoes and barefoot running. They prefer to have people buying $100 shoes from them every 3-500 miles.

If you're getting to the point where fatigue is causing poor form, shoes alone aren't going to help. Better to finish the run a little early rather than teach yourself bad habits, in my opinion.

JMP40

Chimp
Jan 9, 2011
not even when chased.i just curl up in the fetal position and hope for the best...

4130biker

May 24, 2007
In my experience, the guys in the running stores will always try to discourage minimal shoes and barefoot running. They prefer to have people buying $100 shoes from them every 3-500 miles.

If you're getting to the point where fatigue is causing poor form, shoes alone aren't going to help. Better to finish the run a little early rather than teach yourself bad habits, in my opinion.
I considered that, and it's a good point. I'm sure they still make money off of barefoot shoes though?

I think I'll probably get a pair of minimal shoes as well and use them sparingly and see how it goes. I have heard from a number of sources to not simply jump into a minimal shoe- I have heard its because as a novice I don't know how to run, and I'll be able to use the support at first, which makes sense to me.

You have a great point about ending before your form goes to sh*t- I will definately follow that advice.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
not even when chased.i just curl up in the fetal position and hope for the best...
HAHAH!!!!!

I could definately relate to that before this new phase of mine... In fact I still can sometimes. :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I considered that, and it's a good point. I'm sure they still make money off of barefoot shoes though?

I think I'll probably get a pair of minimal shoes as well and use them sparingly and see how it goes. I have heard from a number of sources to not simply jump into a minimal shoe- I have heard its because as a novice I don't know how to run, and I'll be able to use the support at first, which makes sense to me.

You have a great point about ending before your form goes to sh*t- I will definately follow that advice.
I could definitely see it going either way. Yes, they may sell barefoot shoes, but on the flipside, they can't fit you for them, sell you special socks, foot massagers, etc. etc. that they can with regular sneaks.

Regardless, I don't think it's wise to just jump right into them. I think it's a good supplement to regular running, but barefooting will blow up your calves and really challenge your lower legs. Expect to walk funny after 0.5mi in barefoot shoes the first time you go out. It's an interesing and humbling experience. The longest I've ever run was somewhere around 2.5-3 miles. Eventually you figure out the method but you get 90% of the benefits of running with regular sneaks...barefooting is a fad that takes it to the next level and has it's place, but running alone has so many benefits.