Quantcast

Rush or Prophet?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
So...Im thinking about getting another bicycle. I demo'd the Prophet once before and really liked the thing. Ive been meaning to get one for a while now, but lately, Ive been seriously considering getting a bike for endurance events like 24, 12 hour races, etc.
I realize that the Rush is basically designed with these events in mind, and while Im sure it would do fine, Im not exactly your typical MTB racer. I see myself as a pretty agressive rider and Im around 185 right now...which means I want a bike that is going to be tough as well as acceptable in terms of riding for a long period of time.
The travel on the prophet is 30mm more front and rear than the rush, the geometry seems to be a tad more slack...which I like...and with a similar build, from what I understand..the weight difference wont be too great.
Any thoughts? Not for sure Im even getting one, but would a prophet work well for these applications...or should I go with a rush?

EDIT: Also, I should add that this wont be a race only bike or anything. Definitely will be doing some trail rides and the like but it wont be a replacement to the Cove I have now or anything...just something else to have. I think the Cove can fill in as my "XC racer" if I ever get the urge to be in complete misery for a couple hours again.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Prophet! You can get them so that they are quite light and nimble. I personally ride a jekyll (discontinued because it fits in between the Rush and the Prophet). I like the more relaxed geometry and added travel (without much weight) is nice for all around riding. I ride my jekyll for everything including 24 solos.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They have a little bit different geometry. If you ride in tight trails the Rush may handle a little better but if you are blasting down fast steep trails the Prophet may be a better fit.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
They have a little bit different geometry. If you ride in tight trails the Rush may handle a little better but if you are blasting down fast steep trails the Prophet may be a better fit.
I guess my real concern is that the rush will limit my descending too much and that the prophet will limit my climbing too much. Im also afraid of breaking the rush, and Im wondering which would be better to compromise in terms of endurance events?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I guess my real concern is that the rush will limit my descending too much and that the prophet will limit my climbing too much. Im also afraid of breaking the rush, and Im wondering which would be better to compromise in terms of endurance events?

When you say you are an agressive rider do you mean you are trying to huck and launch stuff or do you just say hit a rockgarden with speed instead of finesse?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have never met a prophet or rush that didn't ride nice. However they all creak like a mofo. I used to work in a Cannondale shop and used to have to try get them to stop creaking. Most of the time I could but only temporarily. The Lefty is a high maintenance fork IMO.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
When you say you are an agressive rider do you mean you are trying to huck and launch stuff or do you just say hit a rockgarden with speed instead of finesse?
Id say that I probably do a bit of all that minus the finesse part, although I wouldnt want to be doing that on something like a Rush I know, but that the Prophet would give me some of that as an option. I know it can handle that kind of stuff, but...is it just too much travel for racing?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
A 215lbs friend of mine rides like a bull on meth with little or no regard to what he may or may not hit. He is skilled in the sense that he can ride that way and not die in a horrific crash. He has a prophet 2000 and a rush 2000. He never rides his prophet anymore. Minus the creaking (jdcamp right on) its not given him a single problem in the 10 months he's had it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Id say that I probably do a bit of all that minus the finesse part, although I wouldnt want to be doing that on something like a Rush I know, but that the Prophet would give me some of that as an option. I know it can handle that kind of stuff, but...is it just too much travel for racing?

If you are trying to be somewhat serious about racing I'd say the Prophet is too much. If you are just racing to push yourself and have fun get the Prophet, it sounds like the bike you want.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I would say Rush. The Prophet does climb really well. In fact, a budy of mine has done an XC race on one(has an XT build). However, the Rush still descends extremely well; I weigh 170 and would have no hesitation in riding it agressively(I have ridden a Rush Carbon Team).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Another consideration is the kind of terrain you ride. In Cali, where we have long straightaway descents, a wide open, slack angle bike like the Prophet is preferred.

I believe the kind of terrain you have in Tn is more tight, around the rootsnrocks trails. Obviously a nimbler bike is better for that.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Is your Cove your only other mtb? If so, I think the prophet makes more sense as a more versatile FS addition to your quiver. Yeah it's a little more relaxed than the rush, but not exactly a DH bike - still plenty light for all-day epics, probably a lot more comfortable than the rush for tech descents and stuff. The rush might be better for 24 hr racing alone, but as an addition to your quiver I'd say get something more than another straight-up xc bike.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think the bikes are rejecting you, Woo. It's like a case of Graft vs Host.

Burley, I'm with OGRipper on this one. The Rush is what you want for 24 hr racing, but it overlaps with your Cove as far as what/how it's meant to be riden (on). The Prophet will expand it in the FR/AM-whateverish direction, and still be decent for those long rides and races.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Is it possible to get a Prophet with an adjustable travel fork up front or do they all come with Lefty's?

If you can get one with a Pike UTurn or a Talas or something - that'd be the ticket.

Here you go!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think the bikes are rejecting you, Woo. It's like a case of Graft vs Host.

Burley, I'm with OGRipper on this one. The Rush is what you want for 24 hr racing, but it overlaps with your Cove as far as what/how it's meant to be riden (on). The Prophet will expand it in the FR/AM-whateverish direction, and still be decent for those long rides and races.
Yeah, that sounds about right. I think I heard Weir races 24 hour events on a nomad once....surely a prophet would be fine.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Is it possible to get a Prophet with an adjustable travel fork up front or do they all come with Lefty's?

If you can get one with a Pike UTurn or a Talas or something - that'd be the ticket.

Here you go!
Ive had a bunch of adjustable travel stuff before and Id rather just get used to what I have and ride it like that. Been meaning to try out a lefty as well. Im thinking of buying a low-end prophet since I already have so much parts to put on the thing, and then if I dont like the fork, just getting a new one. The frameset compared to the cost of a Prophet 4 isnt too different.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC

I think you should go with the Prophet...better to have a bike that's pretty good at 2 disciplines than a bike that's great at one and sucks for another...D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Fox Talas forks are way better than leftys... If you don't have mountains around i can see why you wouldn't like adjustable travel though. For how you're talkin you'd want to look to see if you can fit a Zokes on your rig.

Whatever you get, you had better get something to keep up with me on the downhills when you get out here, i don't want to wait around too long.:monkey:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a Prophet and my wife has a Rush--both great bikes, but keep in mind the Rush has a significantly lower bottom bracket height.
listen to the man...

The rush has something like a 12.5" BB or lower. If you ride with a lot of rocks and roots, you're going to be clipping your pedals. The rush is great for XC megarides, I'm sure, but the prophet is no slacker. I love my prophet 800, it's not the best by any means but it climbs well, sprints well, and doesn't creak (so far). The fork isn't stellar, and neither is the shock, but they do OK at least. I took mine on a 24hr adventure race and it was quite nice. It was actually a little steep for my liking, but I'm used to a DH bike so take that into account. The weight difference is not too big, I think, and I've seen prophets in the 25lb range (carbon forks, crossmax wheels, fancy stems).

I was making the same decision in march and I'm happy with what I decided on.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
You sounded set on a cannondale. Unless you have a hookup or something, get a new heckler instead.

:cheers:
Well, I can literally get a complete Prophet bike for a couple hundred more than a Heckler frame or a 575 or something. Not a high end one mind you, but as I said, I have a ton of parts to use and Id like to have all the extras. Im mean they're pretty similar also and Cannondale's frame warranty is lifetime as opposed to SC's two years.
American made as well. :busted:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Well, I can literally get a complete Prophet bike for a couple hundred more than a Heckler frame or a 575 or something. Not a high end one mind you, but as I said, I have a ton of parts to use and Id like to have all the extras. Im mean they're pretty similar also and Cannondale's frame warranty is lifetime as opposed to SC's two years.
American made as well. :busted:
Like I said, "Unless you've got a hookup..."

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
A powdercoated Heckler frame starts at $1199 with a Float R

A standard 575 runs about $1399 @ jensonusa.com

A Prophet 5, like this one: http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/cusa/mountain/prophet/model-7VE5.html runs for $1599 @ REI and they're having a 15% sale, plus my dividend.

No real hookups there, just saying the frames are similar, why not go for a bunch of extra stuff like a fork, stem, bars, etc. etc. ...take the XTR junk off my Cove and be done with it?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
No real hookups there, just saying the frames are similar, why not go for a bunch of extra stuff like a fork, stem, bars, etc. etc. ...take the XTR junk off my Cove and be done with it?
Ok, didn't realize REI was doing cannondale. Guess the volume must explain the pricing.

I'm a biased SCB guy but I have nothing against cannondale, and the price and warranty sure sound great. But have you ridden these bikes? I mean yeah the prophet and the heckler look similar but there is more to it than having a pivot in a similar place - and the yeti is way different anyway. It's easy for me to say but if you want opinions, price is only one factor and in the end it's more about the ride for me.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ok, didn't realize REI was doing cannondale. Guess the volume must explain the pricing.

I'm a biased SCB guy but I have nothing against cannondale, and the price and warranty sure sound great. But have you ridden these bikes? I mean yeah the prophet and the heckler look similar but there is more to it than having a pivot in a similar place - and the yeti is way different anyway. It's easy for me to say but if you want opinions, price is only one factor and in the end it's more about the ride for me.

Well I have ridden the prophet before and did like it alot. Although I didnt put serious time on the thing, it did feel great in limited use. As for the Heckler, well, not the new one. And I know price is only one factor, but as I said, so are all the extras, where its made... the bikes are obviously aimed at a similar niche, and Im sure either would perform marvelously.

ziuruiz

Chimp
Feb 17, 2007
have you considered a gemini? i picked one up used and now ride it more often than my prophet. i find the gemini to be a good climber wilth seat jacked up, then slam er down for the descents and drops. 10-12 weight diff tho.