Quantcast

?'s about Mammoth

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
I was wondering what Mammoth was like becuase im planning on making a trip this summer.
First of all is it mostly DH or is there also alot of trails and XC stuff.
would it be Ok to bring my GF Cake there? its a 5 inch bike
also what are the lfts like and how do you bring your bike up
is it only the gondolas or are most of the lifts running?
alsodo the lifts tend to dammage the bike or scratch them up?
sorry about all of the questions, i justr want to know what to expect when i get there.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Mammoth is a fun place, there is a variety of trails. A lot of trail riding trails and DH trails. A cake would be fine there. The gondola is the only lift that runs. and your bike wont get scratched

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
hmm im guessing bottomless pumice makes alot of dust right
my dad is slower than me= my dad gets all the dust in his face:p
what would you suggest
and how do the gondolas work
do the just hold onto the tires
also im guessing it is real soft?
so are there a lot of climbs

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
so what color are the lifts?
is it a rough ride up?
are there ussually alot of ass holes?
is it nice scenery?
just kidding sorry man about all the questions,
but you might want to change your maxi pad

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
gondolas:

-smooth ride up
-not sure about assholes...(I have been there in the winter only, and I didn't notice many assholes)
-yes, nice scenery:

town

map

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Damn Merrrjig the Newb is all pissy at you! I bet you were all like "merrrrrrrrr...." :)

Anyway, Newb, you should really go to MTBR if your skin is that thin. Oh to be more accurate Mammoth has a shuttle and a gondola. Some (not the best) DH trails can be reached, ridden, and returned to via shuttle service (a bus that you sit in, which tows a huge bike rack. Don't worry somebody loads your bike and drives the bus. They'll even help you on and off the bus if you can't figure it out on your own) Mammoth is very windy and it is intirely possible that the gondola will be closed for part or all of the day.

Mar 9, 2005
SJCx3, CA
ncrider said:
Anyway, Newb, you should really go to MTBR if your skin is that thin. Oh to be more accurate Mammoth has a shuttle and a gondola. Some (not the best) DH trails can be reached, ridden, and returned to via shuttle service (a bus that you sit in, which tows a huge bike rack. Don't worry somebody loads your bike and drives the bus. They'll even help you on and off the bus if you can't figure it out on your own) Mammoth is very windy and it is intirely possible that the gondola will be closed for part or all of the day.
Ummm, I dont know about the LOAD your bike on. Cause I know everyone else had to do it, and I got someone to help me everytime I had to load mine. Cause I'm just a little rascal. But yeah, fun sh!t. No uphill on DH, but there may be a little uphill to get to the DH. Okbye

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
The only uphill riding i can think of is if you want to get over to bullet, couple small up hill on the way over.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
merrrrjig said:
thats a old trail map just so you know, ya I forgot about the shuttle
I just found it when I was looking for mammoth pictures, and didn't notice that. I want to go there. I have only snowboarded there many times.

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
i wasnt complaining, in fact i would rather load and unload my own bike.
its just because i dont know what the people are like up there and how they treat your ****. anywaysd man peace out

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Many of the people that work w/ moving bikes (lift and shuttle) for mammoth in the summer probably bike themseleves. So it would seem they are most all okay about those things.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
the Inbred said:
when i was there, the girlies working here: http://www.looneybean.com/ were damn hot. then again, being a resort town, there are probably hotties everywhere.
I think I went there. On one winter trip, we were leaving, and the temperature shot up in our suburban. We waited much of the day and just walked around while it was being fixed.