Quantcast

Sacramento Skatepark Enforcing Bike Regulations

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I'm sure you guys seen this up before when the city was just opening up the park. Till now they kept this park unregulated and things seem to move fine as far as I saw. I would go plenty of lunch hours for a fun run doing stalls, grinds and whatnot with no problems. Well now for some reason or with enough complaints the city moved back in and placed a 2.5 in front of the gate. This 2.5 is regulating bikes and skaters w/ their helmets and pads. Funny thing is and the question I had for him is looking at the skaters in the park, only 30% of em were wearing helmets. I asked why that rule isn't being followed or enforced. He said they just had to show him they had them and if they wore em was a diff story. The ranger said the 2.5 doesn't have the authority to cite the skaters. If the ranger gets called and comes down, he can cite the skaters for not wearing the proper gear. And he said he doesn't want to get called out.:plthumbsdown:

I have herd rumors about a new skatepark being built here in Sacramento , CA and yesterday I located direction and photos on the web of it ... flat out crazy all 40,000 sq feet of it !

It has a 3/4 pipe ..

Conected to a huge bowl

On both sides of the pipe :biggrin:

There's another huge bowl with a cradle too :banana:

A few random objects and shapes that look really fun :clue:

Oh and the two mellow bowls also , this place is going to be nuts !

The best part it's soo big the city hasent figured out a way to keep people out yet and they are talking about making it open with no fences , and every other park in the area is open this way and bike friendly :cheers: good time ahead :biggrin:

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
That might just have to happen. this 2.5 is no older than 18yrs and could care less. He'd just call the ranger or cops, the problem is if the cops come quik there's no place to run. I just hope that this isn't a growing trend with the city for the other nearby skateparks. All parks here in Sac have "No Bikes" posted but not enforced. I'd hate to see the remaining parks start regulating.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Yea really sucks , Kris (DukesofTahoe) and I went out there last Firday and there was a rent-a-cop there at the front gate chilling under his EZ-up doing nothing , like 3 kids in the park and 98% of the 200K sq foot park not being used .

We went other places to ride , oh well I guess it was fun wile it lasted . Give it untill summer's over and the little rats are back in school and I'll bet rent-O-dousch get's the axe like every other "seasonal " city employee .... tisk tisk :(

Vinny A

Chimp
May 25, 2007
Philly
Damn that sucks, I know the feeling. Theres a local skatepark called borderline and its an amazing park, BAM designed it and they wont let bikes in. Ive been trying to get bikes allowed but no luck so far. :(

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Dang, I need to get another hardtail and learn how to ride that stuff.....Rich, you should teach me like Yoda..
I want to see the trick were he teches you to lift a cesna out of the delta with your mind .... oops I mean X-wing fighter out out of the Degoba swamp with the force ... same differnce LOL:bonk:

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
makes me SICK...i personally sent an email to a rep at the City of Sac to open that park for bikes(back when it was jut openning)...its such a huge park and they consider bikes to be a problem??? i have never truly heard a legit reason for bikes not being allowd in parks period. makes no sense to me..

snaky69

Monkey
Feb 10, 2007
Quebec, Canada
Bikes ride on tires, which are made of rubber and do much less damage the park(I'm thinking parks with wooden or PVC structures here). Bikes have brakes(usually), skaters don't. I just don't get why bikes aren't allowed in skateparks.

If your skatepark is anywhere like the small ones we have around here(like, very small) everyone takes their turn at riding a particular obstacle and nobody interferes, then it's on to the next person to try and pull something off. It works amazingly well and it lets everyone have their fun.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Bikes ride on tires, which are made of rubber and do much less damage the park(I'm thinking parks with wooden or PVC structures here). Bikes have brakes(usually), skaters don't. I just don't get why bikes aren't allowed in skateparks.

If your skatepark is anywhere like the small ones we have around here(like, very small) everyone takes their turn at riding a particular obstacle and nobody interferes, then it's on to the next person to try and pull something off. It works amazingly well and it lets everyone have their fun.
Americans aren't good at getting along...:nopity:

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
From what I understand, there are 2 reasons for not allowing bikers. First is what fiddy sad, pegs and pedals can damage the concrete. The second is that bikes can go a lot faster, and if you were to hit a skater, the combined mass of you and your bike could really hurt someone.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Both are right and I understand the peg/pedal and speed safety issues. I'm not an expert on concrete types but btwn the parks here in Sac some are hard and tacky while others are soft and slippery. The one at Granite is pretty soft and slippery and I've seen this one skater 50/50 grind a non coped ledge and took a good size chunk of conc off. He looked both ways, grab the chunk and tossed it in the trash.

Where I'm going with this is through normal wear and tear the park is gonna get knicked up. Rusch park by my place seems to have stronger conc cuz that's where a lot of bikers ride and it looks better than this brand new park.

Safety goes without question but it's still "Ride at your own risk". Anyone that blatenly rides reckless and is gunninng for an accident should be cited. That's any rider be it razor, inline, bike or board. I know most agree here but the city needs to notice that we can coexist.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Both are right and I understand the peg/pedal and speed safety issues. I'm not an expert on concrete types but btwn the parks here in Sac some are hard and tacky while others are soft and slippery. The one at Granite is pretty soft and slippery and I've seen this one skater 50/50 grind a non coped ledge and took a good size chunk of conc off. He looked both ways, grab the chunk and tossed it in the trash.

Where I'm going with this is through normal wear and tear the park is gonna get knicked up. Rusch park by my place seems to have stronger conc cuz that's where a lot of bikers ride and it looks better than this brand new park.

Safety goes without question but it's still "Ride at your own risk". Anyone that blatenly rides reckless and is gunninng for an accident should be cited. That's any rider be it razor, inline, bike or board. I know most agree here but the city needs to notice that we can coexist.
exactly. i knew about the issue with pegs but the one with pedals is new to me. i just can not stand the way bikes are portrayed around what seems to be most of the US. i know in some states such as CO bikes are allowed most everywhere from what i hear.

where i live there is a nice small to medium size concrete park where there has been a ton of controversy over whether bikes should be allowed. i used to ride there a lot before it got crowded. what i really hate is how some skaters vandalize the park and get it closed from time to time yet they are still the ones allowed inside with no issues. i have nothing against skaters at all, but from what i see i don't understand how they even deserve the park.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
... He said they just had to show him they had them and if they wore em was a diff story... And he said he doesn't want to get called out.:plthumbsdown:
Ride your bike to the park with a skateboard. You can just say some BS about you live too far away to skate there. Once inside just start riding your bike with proper protective gear.

See if the 2.5 cares enough to call. And if he calls, see if anyone bothers to show up. If the ranger shows up, you'll be just as guilty as everyone not wearing helmets (your breaking a rule, so are they).

I'll gladly give you a skateboard if you need one.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Yea I actually just thought of storming the gate with a couple buds. The problem isn't getting in or maintaining while I'm in there. It's the very possible chance that when the police comes which is what would happen is that they'll confiscate my bike. It's been posted there that, that's what will happen if trespassing while they were building it. I'm sure they'll still do it now while in operations.

Even if I sneak in with your clever tactics by masking my real self under a skateboard.

Last night I went to the park near my house and all is normal there. There was about ten bikes seshin so all is good in my hood. This park here is next to my work so I am bummy that I can't ride during lunch.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Williamsburg, VA has a nice cement skatepark and no bikes are allowed. Their excuse is bikes are dangerous to skateboarders in a collision. WTF? Tell the skater not to run into a bike again.