Quantcast

Saddle with the most tire clearance

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I have a Morewood Izimu which at full compression rubs the back of the saddle with the back tire. I have short legs and like to run my saddle as low as possible. Right now I'm running a Sunline V1 Ti and the clearance is pretty good. Are there any others out there with better clearance? Lightweight is a must as well. :cheers:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm running and SDG-Ti Fly (not an Ibeam saddle) that has pretty good clearance, its 170g and costs like 60 bucks or something. I can't measure it for you right now because its down south in SB, but I'll take a look when I get home tomorrow and let you know how far back it goes in its most forward position.

Will

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I have the morewood, and never has my tire rub on my wheel....

Raise the saddle a bit.... this isn't a DJ u know, you don't have to rock the saddle too low, remember you don't sit on your bike you do stand when u ride, right?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have the morewood, and never has my tire rub on my wheel....

Raise the saddle a bit.... this isn't a DJ u know, you don't have to rock the saddle too low, remember you don't sit on your bike you do stand when u ride, right?
What? "tire rub on my wheel"

He said he is short and has to have the seat down as low as possible.

Anyway. If you need the seat low and forward I have seen some guys run a layback seatpost turned around and then a seat with a cut out. Then you can run the seat down low and not have the tire hit the seat.

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
But with a setback post you can't drop it as far as a straight post and its sounds like the saddle needs to be slammed.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
What? "tire rub on my wheel"

He said he is short and has to have the seat down as low as possible.

Anyway. If you need the seat low and forward I have seen some guys run a layback seatpost turned around and then a seat with a cut out. Then you can run the seat down low and not have the tire hit the seat.
LOL, maybe I should have been more descriptive.

Kanter, I like the idea of the reversed layback. I really don't need it much lower so I thought a different saddle might do the trick.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
I had some trouble with my Sunline saddle rubbing on my Giant Faith. Had the same problem with a Titec El Norte. I did end up raising the seat slightly, but when I switched to a WTB saddle it helped a lot. They seem to have quite a bit of clearance. Plus they are about the most comfortable saddles around. Not too sure about the weight, but I went from a Sunline with ti rails to the WTB and I haven't noticed an appreciable difference.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
April Lawyer had a cut-out in her saddle for her tire, worked very well.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
A WTB Rocket V-ti SLT is a great seat with good clearance. It curves up in the back. Its not cut out like some seats, though. I think the layback seatpost reversed would be your best best for getting the seat forward and out of the way.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch

I assume you have the seat slid all the way forward on the rails? Also are you running your saddle level or pointing towards the stars?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The Easton EA70 offset setpost will move you 10mm forward if you turn it around and the EC70 20mm, you can still run them pretty slammed as they have a straight seatpost, only the head is offset (though they taper to differing degrees, the carbon sooner, right at the end)

Last edited:

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I do have the seat pretty level. The nose tilts up only very slightly to make it easier to move toward the back of the bike. I like the offset clamp/straight post idea and will probably go that route. I'll have to let my Thompson go though...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
After the tyre cuts a hole in the saddle it normally stops making the noise anyway. Plus it saves weight.

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
You can go with the

FSA K-Force SD Lite Carbon Saddle

or the

Selle Italia SLC

I had the same issue a bit back, and i've got the Selle Italia Octavia (great seat, but not that lite). It had the cut in the middle, and that proved just enough to acommodate the rear knobs @ full travel. The bad side was catching up with it after... say a tree hug, with those two pointy ends ;)

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
First to say, I've had my tire rub on both Izimu and Faith. None of the two gave me any problems while riding. Just use your seat as a bottom out bumper until it gets scratched enough to be replaced. If you prefer not to let it happen, you can always limit your travel adding shims between your spring retainer and your shock's bottom out bumper. While the idea of a reversed layback post is acceptable, it moves your seat too much forward, which may be uncomfortable at times, as well as having the seat too high up.

Nov 4, 2007
Bay Area
I'll second the FSA K-force but only in theory. I bought one a while back because I was looking for a light saddle with some cut-out. My DH bike has been in pieces since, however, so I can't actually comment on its function.