Quantcast

Saddles what do you like?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I personally like Terry saddles and the new LUNA Sport Apparel Saddles. I currently run:
HT MTB - Terry Butterfly
FS MTB - Terry Falcon X
Roadie - Terry Damselfly
SS HT - LUNA Sport Saddle
FR/DH - Yeti Saddle

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I personally loathe the Silverado for anything longer than an hour.

On my road bike I've got a Specialized Romin that's the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden.

I think my new XC MTB will likely get the same treatment.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I was about to pull the trigger on the silverado last night when I had a thought... I could measure the width between my sit bones and find a saddle that has the perfect width for my ass.

So I'm 102.5mm from bone to bone.

With the Silverado (133mm wide) my ass bones will have support, but I wont have much room to move around on the saddle without losing that support.

140-150 seems to be a good width for my skeleton. The Max Flite is one that falls into that category. All the light saddles are really narrow though @ 125-130ish so I'm basically stuck with a 300g saddle.

Decisions decisions.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I was about to pull the trigger on the silverado last night when I had a thought... I could measure the width between my sit bones and find a saddle that has the perfect width for my ass.

So I'm 102.5mm from bone to bone.

With the Silverado (133mm wide) my ass bones will have support, but I wont have much room to move around on the saddle without losing that support.

140-150 seems to be a good width for my skeleton. The Max Flite is one that falls into that category. All the light saddles are really narrow though @ 125-130ish so I'm basically stuck with a 300g saddle.

Decisions decisions.
Take a look at the Bontrager and Specialized offerings. They all usually come in three widths (normally a 130ish, 140ish, and 150ish).

Seriously, spend the coin on a decent saddle at an LBS where you can demo or have a solid return policy. It's worth it. Selle Italia, WTB, and the like are all kind of stuck in the past when it comes to saddle design, IMO.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Take a look at the Bontrager and Specialized offerings. They all usually come in three widths (normally a 130ish, 140ish, and 150ish).

Seriously, spend the coin on a decent saddle at an LBS where you can demo or have a solid return policy. It's worth it. Selle Italia, WTB, and the like are all kind of stuck in the past when it comes to saddle design, IMO.
Went all over town at lunch...
Bontrager - Meh
Specialized - Just demo'd what I want... it was just okay
Ended up with the Silverado. One of the shops had a white one... I was really close to buying a Fizik saddle (perfect width, perfect padding, and shape), but it was nearly $200.

I'll bolt the silverado on and ride a few miles on the road after work, if I don't like it I'll take it back and drop the coin on the Fizik. Simple as that.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've become a big fan of Fizik Gobi saddles. Prior to that I liked Fizik Nisene saddles - but they changed the design slightly from when I owned one. May try one again though as they can usually be found pretty cheap for the lightweight versions.