Quantcast

Saint Cranks on a Mid BB?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I just purchased a Superco frame (can't f-ing wait).
I want to put Saint cranks on it because it's a challenge and I have them already.
My conundrum is this:
Saint cranks have a 24mm spindle.
Mid BB takes a 1-5/8" OD bearing.

19 and 22 are the only common BMX spindle sizes, so that's all I can find for kits.
Does anyone know of a kit to make these two pieces work together, or am I stuck machining my own cups?

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
You'll need to find the Mid bottom bracket bearings for the latest Fit cranks. They use a 24mm spindle and will provide spacers to create a less than perfect but functional solution to taking up the space between the crank arms and bottom bracket.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
if that fork you have on there is still in one piece, you have no place commenting on your love for that bicycle...
sorry?

that was an old 03 dj 1, i got it for a steal, and nope it't not on there anymore, same goes for the bars and some other bits, this was just the build i could do back then.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I replaced the BB bearings in a Lahar once and we found them in an industrial bearing shop. The ID fit the Saints but I don't remember what the OD was.

@bismojo - nice cups!

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
The Fit cranks have a " 23.80mm (24mm) hollow CrMo spindle". What are Saints, 24mm dead nuts, or are they rounded up as well?

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
@buckoW - cheers, thanks!

CMIIW Shimano axle is 23mm + plastic sleve (reducer) to make it 24mm (or 24mm to make it 25mm i forgot*), even when you get the ID right you need to get the width right, lots of spacers. That's why I made custom 'machined BB cup (with widely available shimano/token/etc bearing and reducer) that press in to the shell, exact width so no need for spacer. My Eastern Night train frame was Spanish shell though, many more alternative / stronger bearing for your larger mid BB *I think..*

update : just checked old cad drawing, it's indeed 24mm + plastic stuff to make it 25mm, as the shimano bearing has 25mm ID & 37mm OD (same as Spanish BB shell ID)

Last edited:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
**WARNING**

The Fit crank does not use a true 24mm spindle. The bearing kit they use will not accept a Shimano crank. It's too small.

Back to the drawing board. I think I'll be machining down a standard external BB.