Quantcast

Saint M820 pedal

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anybody using these? I've run the smaller platform Shimano pedals for when I'm clipped since they came out, but I'm interested in the Saints for some extra platform and support. I'd be using them with AM9 shoes. Do they make a big difference in that regard, or are they just more expensive and heavier for no good reason?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i've been running these for a bit (with the new am7 shoes). i like em. been running xt trails for years; these do provide additional sole support when clipped in, and (not surprisingly) better grip when you come unclipped in a hairball scenario (esp. in conjunction shimano shoes with the pedal channel). nice solid platform. overkill for trail use, as they are weighty things, but like most shimano pedals, feel pretty bombproof.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Been running mine for a season now and they are bombproof. Smack them into rocks and into the ground at full speed, repeatedly and hard and not even a scratch on them.
I´m using them with the Mavic Deemax shoes and they are simply made for each other. The sole contacts the platform perfectly. It´s a really great feeling compared to the old DX clips with Giro Terraduro and mimics a flat pedal perfectly.
I run the tension pretty loose, but only had my foot get unclipped once and i can´t even fathom why it even happened in that situation.
Overall pretty damn impressed with them and would definitely recommend.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
i've been running these for a bit (with the new am7 shoes). i like em. been running xt trails for years; these do provide additional sole support when clipped in, and (not surprisingly) better grip when you come unclipped in a hairball scenario (esp. in conjunction shimano shoes with the pedal channel). nice solid platform. overkill for trail use, as they are weighty things, but like most shimano pedals, feel pretty bombproof.
Did you notice any difference when you made the switch? Because I'm on xtr trail pedals with AM9 shoes on my pedal bike. Sometimes I feel like I want to ride flat like on my dh bike and my bmx. But I always end up taking the flats off again after one ride because of pedal strikes! That's what I really like on the Shimano trail pedals, they are slim and let me pedal in parts of trails where I can't with the wide flats. Also the AM9 makes clipping in a lot easier with the channel running in the middle of it, also in hairy situations.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I've been running them since spring, and would echo what xy9ine says here. I do use them for trail and DH (on the same bike). And they are kinda heavy. But so confidence inspiring when you need to use the pedal but not be clipped in (I recommend Shimano pedal channel shoes, too). I've smacked them against rocks and for now seem to be holding up. I assumed the pins would get ripped out by now, but no they look brand new.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I bought a new pair when they came out. Had them on my trail bike for awhile. Didn’t like the pins at all as they weren’t grippy enough for my tastes. Moved them over to my commuter and they have been rocking strong since. I live in Seattle, so they see a fair amount of wet weather riding and are still super fresh after about four years. I did hate them for trails though, I kept slipping off. I’m not super perculiar about pedals either...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I bought a new pair when they came out. Had them on my trail bike for awhile. Didn’t like the pins at all as they weren’t grippy enough for my tastes. Moved them over to my commuter and they have been rocking strong since. I live in Seattle, so they see a fair amount of wet weather riding and are still super fresh after about four years. I did hate them for trails though, I kept slipping off. I’m not super perculiar about pedals either...
I'm talking about the clipless pedals, not flats.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Have You removed the spacers from beneath the pins? Night and day difference.