Quantcast

Saint Pad Issues

newyork1

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Just stuck in a new set of Saint metal pads (the stock Shimano ones) and there is basically zero room between pads and rotor now. Anyone else experience this? Thanks

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
have you pushed the pistons back as far as they can go? Spray the pistons (with pads out) with some wd40 and push them in then re install pads.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Don't use WD40, that will eventually dry out or contaminate the seals. Use mineral oil, what they're designed to be lubricated with.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, just stick a big flat blade screwdriver between the old pads, then twist it to drive them out. I've never had to oil mine. Do it with the pads in since if you press on the individual ones, you'll probably press the next two out as you push the first two in.

newyork1

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Awesome, thanks. I will give the screwdriver technique a go tonight, with a little mineral oil.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
yeah, just stick a big flat blade screwdriver between the old pads, then twist it to drive them out. I've never had to oil mine. Do it with the pads in since if you press on the individual ones, you'll probably press the next two out as you push the first two in.
try using a plastic tire lever instead of a screwdriver, less chances of damaging the pistons.

squiby

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
Don't use oil with the pads in. You'll contaminate them. Just try the screwdriver/lever twist first. Oil if that don't work and you have a sticky piston.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
WD40 will not dry out your seals unless you lube them with water...

It aint a lube in the traditional sense, but it is plenty appropriate for this type of application.