Quantcast

saints or diabolous cranks?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Anyone having troubles with the preload cap coming loose
and the left hand crank coming loose on their Saints ?

I've noticed the new Saint cranks have a small hole in the axle
and on the left crank arm in the gap there is a small
plastic tab with a steel pin that drops into the hole in the axle
once the crank is installed to stop the left crank arm falling off
if the bolts come loose.
The left crankarm only comes loose if the pinch bolts are under/unevenly torqued. The plastic tab is for the retards that can't install their cranks properly.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The left crankarm only comes loose if the pinch bolts are under/unevenly torqued. The plastic tab is for the retards that can't install their cranks properly.
Agreed!

Couple of other things...make sure the spacers are correct so that you have enough spindle on that side to tighten the arm on correctly. Re loc-tite the bolts if you have tightened/untightened the arms a few times.

After you tighten the pinch bolts (to spec!), tighten the preload cap a little bit more, that will keep it from backing out.

N I C K

Chimp
Jun 12, 2005
Sunapee, NH
I heard rumors of bad RF BB's, and now I know that to be somewhat true.

Two hard riding friends toasted Evolve BB's within 3 months. I cannot say about Diabolus, but in that time I rode a XT BB for a year and half...

I toasted a set of Evolve cranksets in like 8 months. In the first the driveside crand mushroomed out where the spindle goes in. So even if tightened all the way it would still wiggle. And on that set both cups seized up. Second set did the same thing but the bb is still fine. So i just switched to some isis truvativ cranks.

but im not sure if anyone has had this problem with diablos cranks, But id have to say that the Saints look like the better buy imo. They are lighter and like just as strong as the diablos. Even if your not a gram counter itl still make a difference.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
I got a bad set of Diablos cranks where each arm of the spider was machined at a differant plane so when the chainring was on it looked like it was bent. Raceface took 3 weeks to warentee it but that was 3 months ago and ive had no problems since.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Umm i developed some side to side play within my cranks, i guess the sapcers got smashed or something. Not sure on the saints though.