Quantcast

Salt Lake locals...

Shrumple

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
NOVA
Some friends of mine and I take a Moab trip every year (I'm in Virginia, they're in California), but this time we can't all get together until August... WAY too hot for Porcupine Rim, etc. Now we're poking around for alternatives and, because of the time of year, are probably looking at something higher altitude and cooler.

Does anybody know if the ski resorts outside Salt Lake City (Alta, Snowbird, Deer Valley, etc) do the lift-assisted mountain bike thing in the Summer?

Thanks a bunch!

~Shrumple

Darryl

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
ZION
Originally posted by Shrumple
Some friends of mine and I take a Moab trip every year (I'm in Virginia, they're in California), but this time we can't all get together until August... WAY too hot for Porcupine Rim, etc. Now we're poking around for alternatives and, because of the time of year, are probably looking at something higher altitude and cooler.

Does anybody know if the ski resorts outside Salt Lake City (Alta, Snowbird, Deer Valley, etc) do the lift-assisted mountain bike thing in the Summer?

Thanks a bunch!

~Shrumple
I'm not sure about Northern Utah, but I know Brian Head near Cedar City runs their lifts and also one of the local shops run a van shuttle to the top of the peak and there's an awesome single track down the back side.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I know deer valley (park city) runs the lifts all summer long or at least one lift, I don't remember if they have extended hours on the weekend but I know you can get in a good 5 hours or more of riding. Also Sundance (Provo/Orem) runs one lift all summer long, it is a little cheaper than Deer Valley but my understanding is that it's not as technical.

PM me before you come and maybe I'll join you.

digitalsoul

Chimp
Jun 20, 2002
Utah
There are a few resorts which offer lift assisted mtn biking near Salt Lake that I know of. Snowbird, Solitude, Park City, and Deer Valley. I've ridden Snowbird, Solitude and Deer Valley.

Snowbird is just a fire road down the mtn. You might get 5 minutes worth of single track in. The tram runs every 1/2 hour. So you would find yourself waiting for the tram most of the time. After a few runs down I found myself bored there and end up leaving. Plus the staff there is not mtn bike friendly at all.

Solitude offers a mix between downhill and cross country. You can ride uphill to the top of a lake or just go down the mtn. However, you will still find yourself pedaling uphill at times and the trail isn't that technical. Again you will get bored of their trails after about an hour. The staff their was pretty helpful though and biker friendly.

Both Solitude and Snowbird also offer lift services for hikers. While most of the hikers are good. There are still a few that dont want to get out of the way. Which isn't good since you can get going fairly fast down parts of these trails.

I've never ridden the lift at Park City. I attempted to go there last summer. I asked a few riders what the trail was like. They said definately go to Deer Valley instead. The only reason they were ridding at Park City was because they got in free.

Deer Valley gives you the best value for what you pay. An all day lift pass is around $16 dollars. They have a variety of trails to chose from. Ranging from nasty downhill trails to a scenic ride down. The local downhill circuit has a few races at Deer Valley and the local XC circuit has one race. Just to show you the variety of trails that is offered. Trails are very well marked, which gives you the opportunity to mix and match trails. There are no hikers to worry about and there are specific trails for those people that want to ride up. After riding at Deer Valley once I was totally hooked. My vote would be to go here.

I've ridden a couple of trails at Brian Head, such as Boy Scout Camp loop and Bunker trail. None of their lift serve runs so I wont comment on those trails. I dont think Brian Head has the variety or number of trails that Deer Valley has. But I could be wrong. Mountain bike magazines in previous years have given rave reviews about Brian Head, but I wasn't too impressed with what I rode.

I've never gone to Sundance either. Although that is on my to do list this year. I think those are all the places that offer lift assisted mtn biking. I know Alta, Brighton and the resort near Ogden don't offer anything. Hopefully this information helps you out.

Shrumple

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
NOVA
Wow! Thanks for all the info... that's GREAT stuff. Doesn't sound like the Utah resorts are as into biking as, say, Mammoth Mountain in CA. We'll see what happens... but thanks again for the reply!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Sundance kicks ass. From my experience at all the resorts here, they're the best. Lift-served, trails are fun, and theres tons of them, best of all, they're never really that busy. Even if I did break my hand in a race there last year ;)

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Shrumple-
Don't be misled. Deer Valley has at least if not more of a DH mtn biking scene/community as Mammoth. It's some of the best DH terrain in the country.

Park City has good riding too, but I've only XC'd there...never ridden the lifts. You can ride between the two resorts no problem as well. There are easily 100 miles of singletrack between The Canyons, Park City, and Deer Valley alone.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
WTF are u guys talking about, deer valley blows! maybe not for xc but as for DH it isnt all that good, not technical and not fun. well maybe because im from the east coast but from my experiences DHing at mnt snow and plattekill is much tuffer. last time i was there was last summer, but maybe they made alot of improvements since i was out there visiting my grandparenst, i deffinetly wouldt take a designated mnt bike trip out to deer valley. and staying in park city will cost u a arm and leg.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Originally posted by mack
WTF are u guys talking about, deer valley blows! maybe not for xc but as for DH it isnt all that good, not technical and not fun. .
I agree Deer valley is no platekill but it still is quite fun.
THieves forest and fireswamp are quite technical.. They are also many places in the area to have fun with.
Check out this trail.. about 10' from DV
http://endorphin.free.fr/video/BodyFirst.wmv

Later