Quantcast

salute your shorts

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I need a new pair of baggies that don't ****ing suck. I've taken to wearing ball jammers as I can't stand my nemas and enduros that don't fit right (ain't no damn euro scum, this is AMERICA and larges should fit like larges, dammint), and the fox shorts I just paid full retail are the worst product I've bought in the last 5 years. What is something that ventilates well, is comfortable for multi-hour excursions, doesn't have zippers that immediately break, and is sized for normal humans?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
TLD skylines.
Pockets, adjustable waist, 4 way stretch, look OK off bike etc.
No liner though; I usually wear UA mesh boxers but if the taint's feeling fragile lycra fits too.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I've had good luck with a pair of Pearl Izumis that I bought last year at REI. The liner is comfy, the shorts breathe well, and they seem to be holding up pretty decently.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I'd had the Fox sergeant shorts for a few years now and they're still holding up fine. I think they're typically half price on Pricepoint.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
TLD skylines.
Pockets, adjustable waist, 4 way stretch, look OK off bike etc.
No liner though; I usually wear UA mesh boxers but if the taint's feeling fragile lycra fits too.
Maybe I should do that. I already have several chamois shorts than are taintastic. I just like the double baggies for ease of use (throw n go).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
TLD moto shorts.
that's the exact opposite of where I want to go. I have a pair of the "sprint" shorts, I believe, maybe the motos as well. They are great for DHing, but I want trail shorts, so something ultra light that doesn't quite show off my goods. I won't need protection, as I'm actually riding trails, and not dh forum trails, just something to show a little modesty.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I know this is a little "out of left field" but the older Specialized Demo Shorts are hands down the best trail riding shorts I've ever owned. They are super comfy, come with a removable chamios liner, have a built in functional belt, are lightweight and breathable, durable and they look pretty good without being too loud. They are a couple years old but it looks like Wheel world still has some in Large

http://wheelworld.com/product/09specialized-demo-shorts-51823-1.htm

I have two pairs and have logged thousands of miles of XC and AM, used them for shuttling and DH races, crashed more times than I can count and I'll still probably get 2-3 more years out of them easily. Too bad I lost a bunch of weight and the larges wouldn't fit me or I'd order another pair from Wheel World right now. Seriously, best shorts I've owned and I've had TLD, Fox, Oakley, Pearl Izumi, Endura, Nema...

Edit: Just noticed it says they can only sell them In Store, bummer. Those are seriously the best shorts ever.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I just like the double baggies for ease of use (throw n go).
My buddy also used the TLD Ruckus (?) short, which has a removable liner that he finds comfy.
I just don't use chamois shorts for rides under 2 hours, which is most of my trail riding.
Pretty much just pull them out for Kingdom pedalfests.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
What is something that ventilates well, is comfortable for multi-hour excursions, doesn't have zippers that immediately break, and is sized for normal humans?
That's a tall order.

My Nemas fit so terrible I never wear them.
My Cannondales fit great but the zipper broke in 2 months.
Hoss Ponderosas have held up pretty well but they're really hot.
My Enduros are tough but hot and have no liner. They're OK....
Current fave are some Fox shorts, not sure of the model.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've had good luck with oakley, dakine, and some other brand i can't remember offhand that's neither nema nor tld.

also, this sounds largely like user error - not having the patience to shop around to find something that fits.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i've had good luck with oakley, dakine, and some other brand i can't remember offhand that's neither nema nor tld.

also, this sounds largely like user error - not having the patience to shop around to find something that fits.
sure, I bought the Nemas online. They're too narrow in the thigh and therefore pull down when I ride (ended up splitting the thighs so I can wear em, they're my favorites now). I bought the enduras in a store. They fit fine but I ended up having the same problem, even though the fit great standing still, they tended to pull down because I can apparently squat an airplane. I split the legs on those too but they still don't fit right, they're sized for tiny people or people that don't mind showing asscrack on every ride.

Getting frustrated by this MADNESS I went to the LBS in Burke to straight up buy a pair of riding shorts. I found those foxes, fit em, they fit well in the wait but same problem with the thighs to a much lesser degree...however, the chamois is complete trash and the fit of the liner is such that my man bits rattle around and actually get chafed. Plus, the grey short shows sweat, so it looks like I peed my pants after spin class, and I swear to God I didn't. Also, the zipper busted on the fourth or fifth wear. They have no distinct waistband so it always feels like they're riding down even though they fit fairly.

I can wear my TLD moto/sprint shorts all day long, and my castelli bibs, short, louis garneau bibs and shorts, and my nike shorts all day long...but the second a cycling company gets the idea to put them together, they get retarded.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
sure, I bought the Nemas online. They're too narrow in the thigh and therefore pull down when I ride (ended up splitting the thighs so I can wear em, they're my favorites now). I bought the enduras in a store. They fit fine but I ended up having the same problem, even though the fit great standing still, they tended to pull down because I can apparently squat an airplane. I split the legs on those too but they still don't fit right, they're sized for tiny people or people that don't mind showing asscrack on every ride.

Getting frustrated by this MADNESS I went to the LBS in Burke to straight up buy a pair of riding shorts. I found those foxes, fit em, they fit well in the wait but same problem with the thighs to a much lesser degree...however, the chamois is complete trash and the fit of the liner is such that my man bits rattle around and actually get chafed. Plus, the grey short shows sweat, so it looks like I peed my pants after spin class, and I swear to God I didn't. Also, the zipper busted on the fourth or fifth wear. They have no distinct waistband so it always feels like they're riding down even though they fit fairly.

I can wear my TLD moto/sprint shorts all day long, and my castelli bibs, short, louis garneau bibs and shorts, and my nike shorts all day long...but the second a cycling company gets the idea to put them together, they get retarded.
my dakines are good in the legroom, snug at the waist, shammy is ok, great natural venting without the need for zippers. Pockets have a zipperd closure
i have some pearl izums that fit fantastic and the shammy is amazing too. the venting is great. velcro pockets.
had fox shorts that were rubbish.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you still haven't learned not to buy shorts that don't have a detachable liner?

:stosh:
i guess i didn't think that shorts were rocket surgery, and that getting a set that I could just throw in the car for a weekend or slip on before heading out the door wasn't that big a deal. These are friggin shorts man, it's not like DW is gonna come in and revolutionize the way your shorts grip yer butt, patent it, partner with a flashy marketing company, then never actually sell any, and sue trek for rights to anti-wedge curves.

Thanks to those who have responded, I'll check em out. If you have sizing or model info, I'm all for it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
i guess i didn't think that shorts were rocket surgery
Uh, you're the one who posted a thread looking for help.

Good lycra shorts with a chamois you like can be hard to find. Good baggies that fit right and work well for riding can be hard to find. Something that does both? Pretty elusive for a lot of folks.

Get something with detachable liners or no liner at all. Hell, cut the crappy liner out of the shorts you just got. Aside from the fact that you'll be able to use any liner/lycra short you like, you can also skip it for casual rides. You can also wear knickers or full-length tights under the baggie if you're into that sort of thing. It's just more flexible all around.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I still have a pair of Oakley shorts I bought 7 years ago and theyre still going strong.
I use them for riding and travelling cause theyre well vented and have zippers...
Same here. I've bought lots of other shorts, but the oakleys are my goto warm weather shorts.

Sloppy weather shorts are my raceface. The new ones. Forget the name...

TLD stuff is kinda nice, but not worth the premium.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
My go to over the years:

Pearl Izimu Bubba shorts
Azonic DH shorts (since 2004, same pair....)
TLD moto's but they are a bit hot
Agree on the Nema's...do not fit.

New addition to try this year: ONeal Havoc pants/shorts (zip off legs).

BYOLiner.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Uh, you're the one who posted a thread looking for help.
yeah, I figured that there was a company out there, somewhere, that had figured out that somebody who wears a large short in 95% of manufacturers would want a large short from them, and the liner in that large short should fit somebody who wears a large liner. I never would have expected relatively large, cycling specific brands like Nema and Endura to make large shorts with medium liners, or to design shorts for CYCLISTS with skinny legs. I guess nobody ever tried these things on?

TTB

Chimp
Mar 24, 2013
UK
I like my POC flow shorts but they're a bit expensive, would only buy like I did when they're on sale.

Dakine are good as well, as were th Mace NOS shorts I had - sadly these aren't made any more.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
yeah, I figured that there was a company out there, somewhere, that had figured out that somebody who wears a large short in 95% of manufacturers would want a large short from them, and the liner in that large short should fit somebody who wears a large liner. I never would have expected relatively large, cycling specific brands like Nema and Endura to make large shorts with medium liners, or to design shorts for CYCLISTS with skinny legs. I guess nobody ever tried these things on?
Yes, they actually don't want to sell you anything.

Or, maybe they work for most people and you are...special.