Quantcast

Sam’s Sunday geometry

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I’ve watched the IH video on the IH site
It looks like his bike has a 50 degrease on the front…
Is it because of the sag on the back? Or is it his bike has different geometry than ours?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Sam's frame is the EXACT same thing everyone else rides - it's usually a Factory frame or in the case of the past year a WC frame.

EDIT: Sam rides a size medium (17") frame

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sam Hill's arms are at a 64 degree angle. Here's some other spec's:

Waist size: 32"
T-shirt size: Adult Large
Shoe Size: 10.5 (US)
Neck Angle: 90 degrees

Unfortunately, Sam Hill is one size fits all.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
:clapping:Funny
Just asked…
It took me time to get use to the front of my Sunday, (after riding my old SGS with a 888 200mm)
So it’s probably the sag that makes it look like a different geo in the front. And maybe putting the boxer higher in its crowns.

olie

Chimp
Nov 7, 2004
Newcastle, Uk
sorry mate but his frame isnt the same as production, in the new dirt they have a review ( very long one ) on hill, his bike and his 07 season, it goes on to say that the bike hill rides is slacker, longer, and is closer to a large size than that of the medium, which is what they label it as. defo go out n get the issue (#70) as its a very good write up.
geo
w/base - 46.25"
chainstay - 17.25"
downtube - 26.25"
h/angle - 63.75 degrees

thats the info they give and steve jones says that its close to perfect and should be the production geo.

Olie

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
sorry mate but his frame isnt the same as production, in the new dirt they have a review ( very long one ) on hill, his bike and his 07 season, it goes on to say that the bike hill rides is slacker, longer, and is closer to a large size than that of the medium, which is what they label it as. defo go out n get the issue (#70) as its a very good write up.
geo
w/base - 46.25"
chainstay - 17.25"
downtube - 26.25"
h/angle - 63.75 degrees

thats the info they give and steve jones says that its close to perfect and should be the production geo.

Olie
That sounds about right to me. He was definitely riding a Sunday with different geometry later in 2007.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
geo
w/base - 46.25"
chainstay - 17.25"
downtube - 26.25"
h/angle - 63.75 degrees

Olie

wow! same wheelbase as the large basically and very slack.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Pretty sure Sam used to run a stock frame....perhaps he is riding the 2009 proto?
That said I dont see 63.75 head angles making it onto the production line!

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Yea, as Dogboy said; looked like it changed at the second half of the season?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Sam's frame is the EXACT same thing everyone else rides - it's usually a Factory frame or in the case of the past year a WC frame.

EDIT: Sam rides a size medium (17") frame

no, he doesn't and hasn't for quite some time. but i'm not going to elaborate any further; too much fun reading what everyone else seems to know as fact:popcorn:

For those who haven't been to one, your average world cup track is way steeper than it looks on video; far steeper than your average local race or US national. Add Sam's speed to that equation and the slack head angle starts to make sense. put those angles on your average riders bike, on an average course and i doubt it would be well received. probably right up there with the complaints we hear about the Sunday being "too low," which never fails to make me laugh. which reminds me, his bb is also lower than stock:shocked:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
For those who haven't been to one, your average world cup track is way steeper than it looks on video; far steeper than your average local race or US national. Add Sam's speed to that equation and the slack head angle starts to make sense. put those angles on your average riders bike, on an average course and i doubt it would be well received. probably right up there with the complaints we hear about the Sunday being "too low," which never fails to make me laugh. which reminds me, his bb is also lower than stock:shocked:
Good call... I walked the Champery track and that thing was SPASTICALLY steep, I can't believe they sent the women down that! I'm not a total punter but I'd seriously have trouble just riding down that course, let alone trying to pin it... would most definitely want something slacker than normal for that stuff.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sam Hill's arms are at a 64 degree angle. Here's some other spec's:

Waist size: 32"
T-shirt size: Adult Large
Shoe Size: 10.5 (US)
Neck Angle: 90 degrees

Unfortunately, Sam Hill is one size fits all.
oh i mis-read the original topic. In regards to Sam Hill's Sunday geometry... his geometry is the same the rest of the week too

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Sam schedule:

2006 stock frame, 1 degree slacker e.thirteen head cups
2007 slacker frame, we were testing new geometry for 2008/2009
2008 back to the stock frame, can't get custom ones built anymore, all Sundays going to be built in Taiwan.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Sam schedule:

2008 back to the stock frame, can't get custom ones built anymore, all Sundays going to be built in Taiwan.
1 degree slacker e.13 head cups. how did you achieve that? off set hole in the middle?

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Sam schedule:

So what if any are the differences between a Factory(US built) and the Taiwan version other than location?Mainly refering to the 07' and 08' models.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
All new Sunday frames will have headtubes mounted on universal joints for adjustable geometry.

Those measurements for Sam's frame were just something the team was experimenting with - God knows what they've changed since then.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
All new Sunday frames will have headtubes mounted on universal joints for adjustable geometry.

Those measurements for Sam's frame were just something the team was experimenting with - God knows what they've changed since then.
ey? really? even on the US made frame kits like the one i just ordered from go-ride and wont be in for a few months? haha

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
you guys seriously (however you spell it) need to ride the Alps, steep descents is the way to go, pedalling here is a no no, just steep, fast and tecnical descents