Quantcast

Sam hill turning technique

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Have you noticed how far he is taking his body to the back? Far back from the rear wheel….
King? God?
This is the way I want to take a turn!!

look:

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
more like braking technique... the only reason why his front wheel isn't washing out, with his body staying so far behind the saddle, is the hard braking
he's just incredible

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
not a typical cornering stance though; that frame was taken right after a big compression (note the sacked out rear susp), pushing him over the back.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The best part is that he immediately shifted his weight forward, took a crank, threw a little dirt, and kept it in complete control.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Have you noticed how far he is taking his body to the back? Far back from the rear wheel….
King? God?
This is the way I want to take a turn!!

look:
why would you want to turn like sam hill? why not have your own style and rip it up. personally that "style" in that pic is super ugly lol i dont think he ment to make it look like that.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I was kidding man
But I think it look good.
And it shows how a good rider can save amiss turn by a move with his body

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
o ok, i was gonna say. alot of kids want to be just like sam hill and want to have the exact bike and all. its just annoying i mean dont get me wrong the kid has amazing skills and i give him mad props for winning so many races at a young age. but i just feel like people buy iron horse bc they wanna ride like sam hill.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
o ok, i was gonna say. alot of kids want to be just like sam hill and want to have the exact bike and all. its just annoying i mean dont get me wrong the kid has amazing skills and i give him mad props for winning so many races at a young age. but i just feel like people buy iron horse bc they wanna ride like sam hill.
to tell you the truth, when barel came storming down, I could only wish he would beat sam to make it all that more interesting and fun, it's getting boring that the same guy wins every race

:stupid:

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
i dont really care about the way sam turns, but the way he hit that specific berm compared to everyone else was absurd. check the freecaster videos, everyone else was foot out, sliding around. sam just slammed into it full speed, didnt slide around, didnt lose control for a second. i honestly dont understand.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Nah. They buy Iron Horse because of bomb-proof build and the top-notch linkage.

DW > Anything else. :banana:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
to tell you the truth, when barel came storming down, I could only wish he would beat sam to make it all that more interesting and fun, it's getting boring that the same guy wins every race

:stupid:
Yes, heaven forbid anyone win that actually deserves it.:rolleyes: When someone brings the skill, determination, focus, and discipline on race day that puts them on top of the podium, then they deserve the win. I don't care how many times they win.

Jan 29, 2005
The most noticeable thing about the way sam rides is how little he moves around on the bike. People tend to think going fast means pumping everything, mashing the pedals, and throwing the bike around. This certainly looks fast, and for some it is. But I think the key to his cornering skills and confidence is how little hes moving around. Its much easier to predict what the bike is going to do when you aren't going all whilly nilly all over the cockpit. Sometimes you have to go slower to go faster....

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It pisses me of that he is so hyped about but the way he rides is unreal. Hate the one foot cornering that is overused by the other pros but that's maybe because I haven't ridden flats for like 11 years (and now I'm getting a dirt bike ;) )

Mark W

Chimp
Jan 28, 2004
Canada
From what I've seen, Sam only uses that cornering technique in wet conditions when he is coming in too hot. He does the exact same thing in Champery, a massive shift of weight to the rear wheel at the last moment, in anticipation of it breaking loose as he enters the corner. Only in Champery, it is not effective, and he crashes. However, watching the footage from that, I think it may have saved him from going over the berm and completely off course.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Nah. They buy Iron Horse because of bomb-proof build and the top-notch linkage.

DW > Anything else. :banana:
may i ask whats wrong with the 08 glory??

and also im not naggin on sam winning all the time. theres a reason why he wins so much. he is just good. also he wants to win and is very focused. anyone of those riders could have beatin him. it just comes down to training, practice and the mental stage. so like i said mad props to sam its just annoyin how so many people wanna ride a sunday bc of him and how good he does.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
His form is awesome and most the times i've seen him ride very efficient,
Sam over cooked this corner and just about threw the race away though...if he had to do it over i'm sure he would have backed off a bit. he was visibly faster then Fabian, but only up by less then a second at the split. Fabian was much smoother.

I think Sam left a bit on the course this finals run, from the little footage i've seen it wasn't the type of run like last year where you knew no one would be close.

thats what worlds is about though getting the job done under pressure....i think there was a true chance for another rider to beat that time but they just couldn't get it done.

With each win it will get harder for others... Sam really is building steam like a locomotive, i think a lot of the guys expect miracle runs from Sam now and that is half the battle.

Panadog

Chimp
Aug 29, 2007
I really love to hate all the sammy wanna be's. I loved to see them all representin' on their green sundays, and laugh at them. Then I rode a sunday for a few runs, after I got over bashing the pedals on everyting, I had to have one. In my opinion its really a great bike. And I still want to hate it.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
may i ask whats wrong with the 08 glory??
It weighs 6 pounds more, is as fugly as fugly can get, has screwed up sizing, stack heights are best described as "WTF?" and Maestro is generally considered to be a copy of the DW-Link.

I'm sure they ride nice but I'd rather have my Sunday weighing in at 40 than a Glory weighing 46.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
It weighs 6 pounds more, is as fugly as fugly can get, has screwed up sizing, stack heights are best described as "WTF?" and Maestro is generally considered to be a copy of the DW-Link.

I'm sure they ride nice but I'd rather have my Sunday weighing in at 40 than a Glory weighing 46.

yeah, why does giant have a solid steel axle?!?!!? WTF?!?!....just plain dumb.....wouldn't it be cheaper to machine an alu one?.....less wear on the bits that are machining it and it would save a good pound!

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
yeah, why does giant have a solid steel axle?!?!!? WTF?!?!....just plain dumb.....wouldn't it be cheaper to machine an alu one?.....less wear on the bits that are machining it and it would save a good pound!
Exactly. I read somewhere those axles weigh 1.5 pounds in themselves!!!!!

err....perhaps that was you Ian?

redickerish.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I believe this is the sort of photo we all really want to see of Sam shredding a corner to pieces...

That particular corner in his finals run did however have me rewinding and replaying it several times over, so much speed carried in compared to everyone else and so much seemingly effortless smashing of it.

Attachments

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I think Sam left a bit on the course this finals run, from the little footage i've seen it wasn't the type of run like last year where you knew no one would be close.
Thank you, I thought it was just me. I watched both runs and was surprised Sam was faster. I know some of the great ones make it look easy but still, looked like he was on autopilot or something whereas Barel looked focused and more aggressive. Can't deny the result, of course.

As for the comment about the same guy winning, this would have been Barel's 3rd rainbow jersey but it's only Sam's second - so far.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
I am 40 and I race a Sunday because it's a dam good bike. This "Sundays are uncool, because so many people think they are cool" is more annoying then some kid wanting to be like Sam Hill. Trust me I look back on my life and realize that it's okay to want to be like somebody that is good.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Why are the freecaster vids no longer working? It says it is because I am in the US, but they worked last night? WTF?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
interesting take on the clip from worlds. he came into that turn way too hot and this awesome technique you seem to be speaking of is actually him saving himself from blowing right through the corner after coming in too hot and under breaking. not his normal technique. to see that check out the mtbcut.tv highlights from practice, there is a shot looking down into that corner and he absolutely demolishes it and wheelies out.

the race run shot is a fine example though of how much skill he does have to compensate for what was a potentially big mistake. when i saw it live i though he was going to hit the deck for sure.