Quantcast

Sam Hill!

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
This is the truth behind it all. And that's good for the sport. So, Sam Hill is good for the sport.

AMEN... every sport needs athletes like sam at the highest level forthe sport to progress.

every once in a while a rider comes around who rises above to another level, which in turn causes others to try harder, and once they catch up the who sport progresses

look at moto cross for example... there was mcgrath, then RC, and now stewart

in F1 there was ferrari/schumaker that forced all other drivers and teams to step up, etc

in dh for those who have followed long enough... there was gachet, then vouilloz who destroyed everyone until peat got up to speed and gave him an honest run for it, now there is sam.... who single handedly has forced the bar to be raised even higher... even the chausson giove donovan rivalry steped up the womens then, as the mosely, atherton, sabrina rivalry is doing so now.

these riders are what make a sport exciting, new winners all the time, lots of guys who can perform at the top keep things exciting, and keep people hungry for competition.

unfortunately for hill, it seems (as was the same for nico and chausson) that it is only news when he losses rather than wins

it cant be argued that sam, on his day can destroy a WC field like no one else... he is the only one who has proven he can be THAT much better... pretty sure most of the top guys (and for sure their coaches) all have their eye on sam at every race he enters... they all know he is capable of domination.

defending 2 time world champ, current uci points leader, and world cup seris leader... he is still the man to beat on every course and at every race, and you can bet every rider, coach, team manager, etc are worried what an angry sam hill might do on the gnarly and steep track being run for worlds.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
It IS possible to point out that someone is incorrent without being condescending and hostile. Sheesh.

Nico for President, Sam for VP.

Last edited:

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
do you realize that sam's worst result in these five races (all which are WC's or at least on WC level) is fith place????? and that he is still WC-overall leader???

get serious. most people (incl. a fair share of WC-riders) would sell their girlfriends to russian mobsters to be on such a "losing"-streak.
Wrong, 27th I believe in Germany both years.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
every once in a while a rider comes around who rises above to another level, which in turn causes others to try harder, and once they catch up the who sport progresses
I agree, and although comparisons to other "game-changers" are tough, I think you provide some good examples. Others that come to mind are Eddie Merckx and Michael Jordan. Only thing is that IMO nobody really ever caught up with either of them. Only time will tell if Hill continues to have that extra something - and the drive - to stay on top.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
A thread with people telling us why Sam Hill is bad a$$.
How f-ing stupid.

It's one thing for some toolbucket to say he's washed up, but having to say 'why' Sam Hill is good, is like telling me why you need tires to race your bike.

I am up in mammoth, altitude is killing me, was up at 4am, excuse grammar if there are mishaps. ;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
A thread with people telling us why Sam Hill is bad a$$.
How f-ing stupid.

It's one thing for some toolbucket to say he's washed up, but having to say 'why' Sam Hill is good, is like telling me why you need tires to race your bike.

I am up in mammoth, altitude is killing me, was up at 4am, excuse grammar if there are mishaps. ;)
When you swingin by here grumpy puss?

I'll be in mammoth next week if for some reason you decided you need to spend 7 days in mammoth.

wicked cool

Monkey
Jun 22, 2004
dude dominates the tech like no other!

watch him i nthe top section of ft bill... stupid stuff the rocks that are like up hill he gaps and keeps way more speed then the big guys... he just couldint carry it downhill when things opened up + the corners were all bermed so it took away from the fact that he shreds flat turns like nobody on the planet. hes pretty damn good. and like everyone else said is the only person to be on all those lists you posted. Bong

fanboy out!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
When you swingin by here grumpy puss?

I'll be in mammoth next week if for some reason you decided you need to spend 7 days in mammoth.
mmm me love grumpy puss ;)

I am not here/mammoth on pleasure, working. I am doing an assistant gig/photoshoot for 4 days here for a motorsports company. The Mrs' has tweaked our summer huck festival tour, I will know more soon when we are headed to your parts.
Wish I could stay to ride once our shoot wraps, but have to be in san diego saturday to shoot the bmx olympic finale deal.

As for Sam Hill.....he is bad ass.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Man you Sam Hill Fans Boys get all serious about that guy... look, i was just voicing what i saw, coming in second is not a win, coming in 3rd is not a win... i was just saying that he has been losing some UCI races....
But winning the series is indeed a win. And guess who's currently in the lead?

http://www.uci.ch/ftpuci/ftpsportelectronic/ftptouci/MTB/2008/33230_RiderRanking_DHI_ME.pdf

It's a little unfair to talk down to people who respect the guy (calling them fanboys, etc), because in reality it's nothing but natural to idolize the man who is currently the best of the best. Personally I'm happy to say he is my hero, and for now he has sufficient figures to back that up. When Gee has done the same thing, I'll be happy to reconsider. Until then... better get used to dealing with those sam hill / sunday fanboys. :)

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
dude dominates the tech like no other!

watch him i nthe top section of ft bill... stupid stuff the rocks that are like up hill he gaps and keeps way more speed then the big guys... he just couldint carry it downhill when things opened up + the corners were all bermed so it took away from the fact that he shreds flat turns like nobody on the planet. hes pretty damn good. and like everyone else said is the only person to be on all those lists you posted. Bong

fanboy out!
Exactly,the guy is a shorter techno rider, who kicks ass on steep tech stuff.... Fort Willaim was a place that didnt suit him but he still did well.Its hard fora small rider to generate speed on such a gradient.

Peaty, minnaar, rennie, are tall guys and can generate speed gentler gradients.....

Wait till you see him on some steep tech ****.

LittleBIGjumP

Monkey
Jul 15, 2006
Gold Coast OZ
MMM,

He still rides smooth as, and lets all wait till the season is over. All the other riders have caught up a bit, but lets see what happens next- leapfrog comes to mind.

LBJ

Last edited:

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Exactly,the guy is a shorter techno rider, who kicks ass on steep tech stuff.... Fort Willaim was a place that didnt suit him but he still did well.Its hard fora small rider to generate speed on such a gradient.

Peaty, minnaar, rennie, are tall guys and can generate speed gentler gradients.....

Wait till you see him on some steep tech ****.
Ummm, didn't he win the World Championships at Fort William last year against all the same guys??

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Ummm, didn't he win the World Championships at Fort William last year against all the same guys??
actually the 4 guys ahead of him this year may have all had major offs during their worlds runs. But that's what makes World Cups hard...being the fastest who actually stays on the course. Very rarely is the top 5 made of guys who all had a smoking near perfect run.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
.....which was a little surprising for me (same in 06, where he won there for the first time), becouse i always thought that this track should not suit him that well becouse of the long pedaling section on the bottom and it is not that technincal too.....

Fact is, he ist the best rider at tight technical courses like schladming, maribor, but he is able to win races that are not build around his style of riding too, therefore he will keep the jersey this year and smoke everyone at Val di Sole, becouse that track will suit him perfectly