Quantcast

>.< Same ol Middleshit GMT>.<

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Afternoon!
Got Covid Vaccine #2 on Monday. Side effects negligable on Monday night. Tuesday morning my arm hurt and I felt tired. By lunch time on Tuesday I was feeling more tired and getting a headache. By 4pm Tuesday I had a slight fever, was SO tired and sore and my headache was worse. I took 2 tylenol, drank a big glass of water and went to bed. Got up from 8-9 and watched some TV then decided to go back to bed. Feel totally fine today...arm is a little sore around the injection site. DEFINITELY worth not having the rona IMHO of course.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I never found fish scales to work that well for climbing. At least, not compared to the skins that are on the Altais. Also, the Altais are significantly shorter than a lot of backcountry style XC skis. That was the case with the Rossignols I had before this (BC 70s), which were longer, skinnier, and significantly harder to control.
:stupid:

This. The Hoks are shorter and wider, better in the garbage woods we have here. The metal edges definitely help in shitty snow and ice as well (we don't have snow without ice here).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Short ride tonight. Either some water dripped into my boot on the shoe rack, or a cat pissed in it. Either way, my feet were frozen right from the car.

Also just realized that I've been carrying a hatchet in my backpack for the last two weeks. Oops? :butcher:

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Apparently we are going to absorb the all work of our sister unit in Florida because they cannot keep up with demand, and they had to slow us down by more than double the previous amount of time allotted due to us moving too fast.

They always said when you do great work, you are rewarded with moar work!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wifey is really hating on the Forester right now. For some reason a 4 or 5 year newer, same mileage AMG seems to be comparatively ok vs. the Forester, which might start to get expensive to maintain. :rofl: God, she really fucking hates this thing.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Wifey is really hating on the Forester right now. For some reason a 4 or 5 year newer, same mileage AMG seems to be comparatively ok vs. the Forester, which might start to get expensive to maintain. :rofl: God, she really fucking hates this thing.
I always thought it was Monkey tradition to buy a Subaru, and then hate it!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
See. That makes some sense to me.... This on does not.
Totally. Other than the swap, it's mostly original and in decent enough but not immaculate shape. He had some tuning done to the cam, and put a really nice exhaust on it. Enough of a lift to have 35s, if I'm not mistaken. It's a head turner, and super fun / obnoxious to drive around.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I always thought it was Monkey tradition to buy a Subaru, and then hate it!
Nah. Mine is awesome. I've had 4 and would gladly keep getting them. When Wifey got her Pilot we almost got an Ascent but the rear row was too tight.

Mine's a 2010 with 78k. It's got some cosmetic damage that I need to get fixed and should probably spend about $2k getting a rear-view camera and bringing the infotainment system current, but otherwise, it's fine. I might even switch the headlights from halogen to HID as it was factory the following year. All said, for $2-4k, less a heated steering wheel, it's par with the 2020.

She just doesn't like old cars and would rather have a car payment and/or other repair liabilities from a high mileage high-performance, luxury car than an old mid-level car. I'm the one that handles money in the household (duh) and she just sees how much we make vs. her friends (hello Jones') and what they are rolling comparatively. She doesn't see/care that we're going to be done in 15yrs or sooner, while they are stretched so thin that if anything goes wrong, they are upsidedown in a month.

Trustst me, I would fucking LOVE the AMG, but until I'm baller rich, it ain't happening.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Funny, thing. My fishing buddy was just showing me his brand new Forrester. He already installed a hitch rack to be able to tow his Zodiac and a roof rack for his canoe ( he did the install himself, not bad for a guy JBPs age)
Nah. Mine is awesome. I've had 4 and would gladly keep getting them. When Wifey got her Pilot we almost got an Ascent but the rear row was too tight.

Mine's a 2010 with 78k. It's got some cosmetic damage that I need to get fixed and should probably spend about $2k getting a rear-view camera and bringing the infotainment system current, but otherwise, it's fine. I might even switch the headlights from halogen to HID as it was factory the following year. All said, for $2-4k, less a heated steering wheel, it's par with the 2020.

She just doesn't like old cars and would rather have a car payment and/or other repair liabilities from a high mileage high-performance, luxury car than an old mid-level car. I'm the one that handles money in the household (duh) and she just sees how much we make vs. her friends (hello Jones') and what they are rolling comparatively. She doesn't see/care that we're going to be done in 15yrs or sooner, while they are stretched so thin that if anything goes wrong, they are upsidedown in a month.

Trustst me, I would fucking LOVE the AMG, but until I'm baller rich, it ain't happening.
speaking of subies and hitches.... my wife has given me the go ahead to finally get one for her outback (2018), worth doing myself? the last time she had it in for service at the dealer they quoted her something insane like $600. I checked with uhaul and it was like $200 something.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
We had a rental Outback to drive to Grand Junction on Tuesday.

Fuck.
That.
Car.

Couldn't get out of its own way. Alarm bells for fucking everything and the most uncomfortable seats I've ever had to spend 11 hours is. Only further cements the fact that I will never, ever, buy another piece of shit Subaru.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
EyeSight is kind of a big upgrade.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
speaking of subies and hitches.... my wife has given me the go ahead to finally get one for her outback (2018), worth doing myself? the last time she had it in for service at the dealer they quoted her something insane like $600. I checked with uhaul and it was like $200 something.
Stupid easy. Look at www.e-trailer.com for instructions. They also tend to have really good px and lots of options to find ones that sit high.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think I spent $120 for our Crosstrek Curt class 3 hitch from the rainforest, then about an hour fitting it myself.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Fuck.
That.
Car.

Couldn't get out of its own way. Alarm bells for fucking everything and the most uncomfortable seats I've ever had to spend 11 hours is. Only further cements the fact that I will never, ever, buy another piece of shit Subaru.
Tell us how you really feel. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Top one looks like it bolts to the rails under the car, second looks like it could be a bumper off install.

Check the instructions for each to see which looks like the biggest pain or check reviews.
the rails one requires frame drilling, which i'm wary of. the other does not require drilling.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
the rails one requires frame drilling, which i'm wary of. the other does not require drilling.
The one for my Crosstrek is similar design to the top one, I had to use a file to slightly expand a couple of existing holes in the frame to fit the large flat square washers through them iirc.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
As someone who has done a self-install of a thing on their daily driver that required drilling holes in the frame I say unto you...

"Though you may be wary, fear not the obstacles."

frame mount > bumper mount

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The one for my Crosstrek is similar design to the top one, I had to use a file to slightly expand a couple of existing holes in the frame to fit the large flat square washers through them iirc.
yea, i've watched a few videos and the access holes just need to be expanded some.

i've heard horror stories of people getting hitches installed and whoever did it drilled massive access ports

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Given you are in salt country, I'm always wary of drilling. Pulling a bumper is really easy. Look at the video they created about installation or just google bumper removal for your years of Outback. You might want to buy some extra body clips in case you break some, but they are usually pretty easy.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
yea, i've watched a few videos and the access holes just need to be expanded some.

i've heard horror stories of people getting hitches installed and whoever did it drilled massive access ports
Expanded the holes and used rattle can of primer to cover the bare metal.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Fuck.
That.
Car.

The seats in my Impreza became painfully uncomfortable after a few hours. I spent 72 hours or so straight comfortably in my VW driving/sleeping on 5 separate coast to coast trips.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Given you are in salt country, I'm always wary of drilling. Pulling a bumper is really easy. Look at the video they created about installation or just google bumper removal for your years of Outback. You might want to buy some extra body clips in case you break some, but they are usually pretty easy.
while true, as @6thElement pointed out this can be easily remedied.

edit: in looking at the instruction video from Curt, they actually have included in their instructions to cover any drilled spots with a rust inhibitor.

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I've installed a few hitches. Some were trivial. Some were pains in the ass, fishing nuts in from inside rails using wires.

I'd pay someone to do it these days.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've installed a few hitches. Some were trivial. Some were pains in the ass, fishing nuts in from inside rails using wires.

I'd pay someone to do it these days.
Subaru installs are always super easy. The Honda will be a bitch...

It's like the higher the budget the car, the more challenging the same install

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Subaru installs are always super easy. The Honda will be a bitch...

It's like the higher the budget the car, the more challenging the same install
not necessarily, i paid someone to install the hitch on my impreza because it involved dropping the gas tank.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Nah. Mine is awesome. I've had 4 and would gladly keep getting them.
Personally, the only experience i have had with a Subies, was a 1995 Legacy Wagon. It made it to 220k miles, and seemed to have no plans of stopping, but the body and frame were disintegrating from Marylands HEAVY use of road salt. But living in PA at the time, the AWD was great for the snow, and it was a 5 speed.

You may luck out and find your frame is pre-drilled. I had a 2011 Chevy Cruze that was pre-drilled, and installed the hitch in the parking lot of my old apartment.