Quantcast

Same trail, different day

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Myself, MBC, MMcG and Bullitgrrl rode Case Mountain again Saturday. Beautiful day for a ride. The parking lot and trails were surprisingly empty.

I snapped a bunch of JRA pics.

BullitGrrl

MMcG

MBC sporting her $7 Louis Garneau outlet store jersey that her awesome husband bought fer her (I know, I spoil her)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG going up some rocks...

followed by MBC

MMcG eyeballs a rock. BullitGrrl wheelied off this but I missed the pic.

MMcG on a roller

MBC crossing the first of a two bridge sequence.

BullitGrrl going through a stream.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Back at the parking lot, there was an LBS (The Bike Shop, Manchester, CT) doing a Giant demo. They were there for about four hours and I think we were the only group to take demos out. There was NOBODY out there on the trails. As MBC pointed out, I guess this marks the official beginning of my quest for a new bike.

Here is the stable of demo bikes offered. Splat's jealous.

I took out this Reign X1. It was fun to demo, but it's not the bike for me.

MMcG took this Reign 1 out.

We took the demo bikes out for a two mile, 30 minute ride, then called it a day. Maybe next weekend we'll ride somewhere different. :p

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Good Times.

The bottom brackets were too low on those Reigns for our trails around here. But the fox fork on my bike was smooooooth like Buttah. Fox 29er forks coming in 2008! Woot!

Edit: That photo of me on the Reign makes my ass look fat.

Edit #2: I know have a funky suntan from pulling my sleeves up on my jersey!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Just wanted to note that Matt, the Bike Shop guy, who was on hand for the bike demo was a really nice guy. I chatted with him for about 20 minutes after MBC and IAB left the parking lot. He was really friendly and was wondering if his loop he arrowed out was a good one.

I still can't believe there weren't more people riding and/or hiking yesterday.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Both IAB and I commented on the low bottom bracket height on the Reigns - we were both getting a fair amount of pedal strikes during our demo ride loop.

I had way more pedal strikes riding the Reign than I did my 29er.

The Fox suspension front and back was superb on my Reign - with special props going to the Float fork up front.

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
I hope to ride Case sometime this year. Heard great things about it. So, what type of front fork is on the ON ONE? I just got one for SS, but I would like to have the front with a disk brake. Thanks for the info.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That fork is the On One Superlight fork - I think that's what they call it. It came with the frame when I got it (used) - it is a great steel fork - with 47mm of offset which really helps the bike handle very precisely. It is much nicer and more compliant than say a Surly Karate Monkey, Instigator or 1x1 fork - if that helps.

Did you get an Inbred 29er or 26er? My fork can be run either with discs or v-brakes.

Just let us know when you'd like to ride Case - we'd be happy to give you a tour and we'll try and not get lost!

Cheers,

Mark

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I think IAB woulda been better suited to a 19" frame vs. an 18".
The shop guy said to me "That's a freeride bike for ya." I'm not sure a frame that was one inch bigger would have made that much of a difference.

I didn't like the narrow handlebar that was on that bike either.

The bike was certainly plush though.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Low bottom bracket (as Mark pointed out), plus I felt cramped on it.

I was digging the X7 shifters and Juicy Five brakes though....especially the brakes.
Gotcha. Yeah, I just made the leap from shimano to SRAM this year and I'm loving my X9 stuff!! And my Juicy 5's are growing on me too! :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The shop guy said to me "That's a freeride bike for ya." I'm not sure a frame that was one inch bigger would have made that much of a difference.

I didn't like the narrow handlebar that was on that bike either.

The bike was certainly plush though.
It would have been one inch more in the seat tube length - but the extra room top tube length wise might have helped ya IAB. Your bike also had a pretty short stem on it too.

And yeah my bars were also very narrow compared to the Salsa bars on my Inbred.

I really did enjoy the Float fork - Fox is doing forks right that's for sure. :thumb: