Quantcast

San Fran / Norcal Riding Options

thinking about a 4 day weekend in san fran / northern california with the missus. would like to do some sightseeing, wine tasting and also, some riding.

i'm looking to hit up sand hill for sure, but pointers for some local area trails would be great as well. looking to travel no more than 1 hr from SF (we'll be renting a car). areas with beginner, intermediate and advanced terrain would be ideal so i can ride some easy trails with my wife and then break off for an hour to ride some gnarly stuff.

thinking about bringing my hardtail (or commencal meta 4x, if i get it in time) or your suggestions for a place that rents nice bikes would be great also.

hows the weather in SF mid nov? wet or dry? cold?

other suggestions for a nice place to stay, winery to visit, other cool norcal places to visit

your help would be appreciated.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
Mondavi Winery has a tour (with wine tasting at the end) that I thought was pretty cool. Very informational if you're into that kind of thing. I don't drink but my friends liked it a lot.

I've always liked riding up in Saratoga Gap. You can link a bunch of the OSP's up there for a lot of riding.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
If your out in Napa doing the wine thing, bring your bike and ride Skyline. It's pretty fun, pretty good variety of trails there.

My most favoritest place is Annadel State Park in Santa Rosa. It's probably at the limit of how far you want to drive, but it's worth it.

There's lots of mellow riding in Marin too. China Camp would be a great place to take your wife, and it's close to SF.

Mid nov in SF really depends on the year. It's right when everything changes. It will most likely be freezing in the morning but decent pants & long sleeve weather during the day.
Usually the rain starts around Halloween, but doesn't really hit till end of Nov.

Let me know if you want directions, trail details, etc.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Also, if your vino tasting. I personally recommend Sonoma over Napa.
Napa get's super touristy and charges $ for wine tasting (they make you buy a glass, but you get to keep it). Most places in Sonoma don't do that yet.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Ride pacifica! Go into town and talk to the cats at gearhead cycles. They'll tell you how to get to boyscout and mile.

Both of them are super fun. It's okay for unskilled riders, but it's fun to rip at full speed, too. Besides the pedal up, though, it's more of a full downhill run, too. And, not to mention, it's only about a mile or so long.

Dan_ger

Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
East Bay
thinking about a 4 day weekend in san fran / northern california with the missus. would like to do some sightseeing, wine tasting and also, some riding.

i'm looking to hit up sand hill for sure, but pointers for some local area trails would be great as well. looking to travel no more than 1 hr from SF (we'll be renting a car). areas with beginner, intermediate and advanced terrain would be ideal so i can ride some easy trails with my wife and then break off for an hour to ride some gnarly stuff.

thinking about bringing my hardtail (or commencal meta 4x, if i get it in time) or your suggestions for a place that rents nice bikes would be great also.

hows the weather in SF mid nov? wet or dry? cold?

other suggestions for a nice place to stay, winery to visit, other cool norcal places to visit

your help would be appreciated.
Sounds like China Camp in San Rafael would be the ticket. A few easy routes and some drops, jumps and singletrack if you know who to ask.

The main part of the park is mostly meandering singletrack, a 10 mile beginner+ loop or a 4 mile very beginner out and back.

The state park adjoins a county park and a city park where there are lots of fun trails that require some technical skills. To find them the first time usually takes a guide.

When are you coming?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I'm not a drinker, so I don't know about the wine tasting thing... but anywhere in Napa is nice.

If you're willing to drive a few extra minutes, I'd hit Demo in Santa Cruz man. 101 to 85 to 17. You can find maps online.

One of the best trails around. Plenty of climbing for the XC in you, plenty of fast sections for the all-mountain/freeride/downhill in you.

Just my $0.02.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Mondavi Winery has a tour (with wine tasting at the end) that I thought was pretty cool. Very informational if you're into that kind of thing. I don't drink but my friends liked it a lot.

I've always liked riding up in Saratoga Gap. You can link a bunch of the OSP's up there for a lot of riding.
I'd avoid Gap. I don't climb up... I just ride down... the fun (and illegal method). But I got caught there a few weeks ago. That was a quick $98.50 ticket. And that was just for being on a closed trail. Not for being on a bike, traveling the wrong direction, causing damage to the trail, etc.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
TAMARANCHO over in Fairfax located in Marin County. Got to love the signs, "Bikes Must Remain On Singletrack". It is private land owned by the Boy Scouts but you can purchase a day pass online for $5.00 and it is worth every penny!

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
TAMARANCHO over in Fairfax located in Marin County. Got to love the signs, "Bikes Must Remain On Singletrack". It is private land owned by the Boy Scouts but you can purchase a day pass online for $5.00 and it is worth every penny!

Link:

http://trails.mtbr.com / cat / united-states-trails / california-trails / california-bayarea / trail / PRD_165366_4519crx.aspx

You definatly need to Hit Joaqun miller Park! 3 sick trails out there that the 4x will eat up.

I assume you are looking for Slolom like or Dirt Jumping trails. So i would also suggest hitting up Shells in Foster city, Carlmont In Belmont, Side-o In berkeley if you can find some one to guide you down.

I can hook ya up with directions to the Shells DJ's and Carlmont (Freeride stuff) , as well as Joaquin Miller trails. If you go to Sand hill I will come out with ya so ya aint ridin by your self.

PM me or call me when your down here 925-588-1263

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Tamarancho is fun, but if your coming all the way from Chicago, I feel there are better. It is much, much better than China Camp, harder to get to though, and not as "wife friendly".

J-Bang: Your gonna have to show me some trails at Juaquine Miller. I've been there twice. First time was cool, but not that impressive. Second time I got lost and had like a 20min road ride back to my truck.

You ridin Commencal?

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
they're short, non-technical, and have zero flow. JM is allright on a slalom bike when there aren't a crapload of yuppy hippies. Pacifica is just lame, period. I love the area, but the trails are below average. Whoever works on those trails up there turned the crack into a freeway, and built a bunch of crappy little jumps sparatically all over the place. not like the crack was very good to begin with. it's fast, but not very technical, and only like a minute long. the crack was the best when i was like 12 and no one was riding bikes on it yet.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
they're short, non-technical, and have zero flow. JM is allright on a slalom bike when there aren't a crapload of yuppy hippies. Pacifica is just lame, period. I love the area, but the trails are below average. Whoever works on those trails up there turned the crack into a freeway, and built a bunch of crappy little jumps sparatically all over the place. not like the crack was very good to begin with. it's fast, but not very technical, and only like a minute long. the crack was the best when i was like 12 and no one was riding bikes on it yet.
The Crack is a Freeway? There is a trail off Diablo called the Freeway: it is a long fireroad where you can hit 50mph with two pedal strokes. The Crack has some nice technical features which I thought were challenging. Boy Scout needs works, no doubt, but I appreciate any attempts to build anything.

You sound like you own a chalet on A-line or Garbanzo. First of all, you be should be glad you have anywhere to ride. Second, I read your btching but I don't see you offering to do anything.

And lastly, you might not know what the Mile or the Crack is....

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So beaverbiker, what do you recommend? Or are you just all about the negativity? Got any better suggestions? Where do you ride?

The boy scout section of pacifica is on private land and my understanding is that the trails are pretty much stuck as is. Prior attempts to build additional features have threatened access to all of it, so at this point it's pretty much about maintaining what is there. That said, it's one of the few places around with gravity fed jumps and berms, and it's fun. I also disagree about no flow in that section. Top to bottom is a fast flowy run once you know it.

As for the upper trails, well, compared to the best trails, not so good, but compared to nothing they are some good fun. I don't think the crack is worth the hump up but lots of people do.

Not sure about where to rent bikes, but if the wifey is coming with you, China Camp is a good call. Good fun tight singletrack, picnic areas, water access, etc. Annandel is super fun too and has similar stuff for your wife. Tamarancho is great, a little tighter, but the paved climb up to the main entrance and then the first switchbacking climb might piss off your wife. The stuff on the Santa Cruz UC campus is some of the best flowing bermy stuff around, great for a 4X. Annandel is right around an hour away, SC is a little further.

As for wine tasting I prefer Sonoma county, particularly the Alexander Valley. Less touristy than Napa.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Not anywhere close to owning a chalet in A-line. I'm just a connoisseur of fine singletrack. And I am glad I have stuff to ride. But even if I didn't, I would just make my own place to ride. Some of us actually do build our own trails.

I do know all about the trails in pacifica. I've been riding up there before there were even "downhill" bikes. My grandparents have lived in Linda Mar since the 50's.

The crack used to be a lot better, now it sucks. That's my opinion, deal with it. All the loose rocks are gone. It's just all hard rock burried in the ground. Any girl and their mom can ride that crap fast. The mile is just straight and 50+mph for sure. Sounds like a freeway to me. All the "jumps" on boyscout are small, half-a$$ built and run down, and flat with no landings.

I did do something about it, I ride good trails instead. Too many to list, but here's a quick summary of what I ride in the Bay Area: Secret trails in Almaden Valley, Demo Forest/Nisene, UC trails, Big Basin, Castle Rock, Gap/Stevens Canyon, ECDM, Scotts Valley, Marin. I also build my own trails, that way I can make them any way I want. I like trails with corners. Devin and Chevy's old trail was the best trail in Pacifica for good corners.

This guy is trying to find sound advice on where to ride and I'm just trying to help him out. Bring your bike, and your legs, and spend your time in Marin or the Santa Cruz mountains. Best trails, hands down, in the whole bay area.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I do know all about the trails in pacifica. I've been riding up there before there were even "downhill" bikes. My grandparents have lived in Linda Mar since the 50's.

The crack used to be a lot better, now it sucks. That's my opinion, deal with it. All the loose rocks are gone. It's just all hard rock burried in the ground. Any girl and their mom can ride that crap fast. The mile is just straight and 50+mph for sure. Sounds like a freeway to me. All the "jumps" on boyscout are small, half-a$$ built and run down, and flat with no landings.
That's seems like a legit criticism.

I haven't ridden every trail in this area, but I think Pacifica does have a lot of fun to ride, even with the flaws you mentioned. Also being less than 20 minutes away from the city is a huge positive.

I do have to say if you think any girl and her mom can ride the Crack, you must be an amazing rider, and I better find a size 20 dress. I thought it was intense.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Fair enough, and sure you're entitled to your opinion. But I still don't see how you're helping him, unless you're just trying to protect him from what you think are overrated trails. (And I agree that stuff is over-rated, I just don't think it sucks as much as you.) Pretty much everything you've suggested is more than an hour away from SF (especially for someone who doesn't know their way around) and requires a local's knowledge for the good stuff. It's not the best ever but Pacifica is close, easy to find, and his girl can hang out at the beach. And yeah the jumps are beat down but they're better than what you find on easily accessed jump trails in Marin, of which there are none.

Whatever, enjoy.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Or are you just all about the negativity?
You hit the nail on the head. He's trying to be Emo but not very good at it.

BeavNuts - What trails in Marin do you recommend? I've been riding there pretty regularly and find it kinda hit or miss. I don't know what most of the trails are called but have loved a few.

I'm usually there at night.

Not anywhere close to owning a chalet in A-line. I'm just a connoisseur of fine singletrack. And I am glad I have stuff to ride. But even if I didn't, I would just make my own place to ride. Some of us actually do build our own trails.

I did do something about it, I ride good trails instead. Too many to list, but here's a quick summary of what I ride in the Bay Area: Secret trails in Almaden Valley, Demo Forest/Nisene, UC trails, Big Basin, Castle Rock, Gap/Stevens Canyon, ECDM, Scotts Valley, Marin. I also build my own trails, that way I can make them any way I want. I like trails with corners. Devin and Chevy's old trail was the best trail in Pacifica for good corners.

This guy is trying to find sound advice on where to ride and I'm just trying to help him out. Bring your bike, and your legs, and spend your time in Marin or the Santa Cruz mountains. Best trails, hands down, in the whole bay area.
I don;t mind you saying the trails out there suck thats your opinion and its cool, but saying the Joaquin and pacifica are boring... i just don't get. If your the best rider to ever hit any trail In either pacifica or Joaquin, and can beat ANY rider in the area down them; then you have the right to say that the trails are boring. But i doubt that you are the fastest rider down trail as Joaquin or Pacifica which means you still have room to improve. So untill you can beat lets say Jared Graves down Pacifica or Joaquin, you shouldn't be saying they are boring. :disgust1:

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
I don;t mind you saying the trails out there suck thats your opinion and its cool, but saying the Joaquin and pacifica are boring... i just don't get. If your the best rider to ever hit any trail In either pacifica or Joaquin, and can beat ANY rider in the area down them; then you have the right to say that the trails are boring. But i doubt that you are the fastest rider down trail as Joaquin or Pacifica which means you still have room to improve. So untill you can beat lets say Jared Graves down Pacifica or Joaquin, you shouldn't be saying they are boring. :disgust1:
I don't really agree with that. I've ridden trails that are boring (although in my world I wouldn't include Mile or Joauquin Miller), but just because I'm not the fastest rider I think I still have the right to say they are boring. Obviously there is always room for improvement, but you can still call things boring.

I actually enjoy riding in Pacifica and JM, I agree they could be better trails (what couldn't?), but they're pretty fun for me at my level anyway as I'm not anything special.

I haven't ridden many places around here besides Tahoe (blows them away IMO), but its what there is accessible, to my knowledge, and I might as well make the best of it.

However, I do agree with beaverbiker in that corners are fun.:monkeydance:

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
Hmm... still find beaverbiker's attitude cynical . I know a few burned out bike riders that always think yester-year was the only good biking era and if a trail doesn't meet their expectations it is lame. Personally, I like JM and Pacifica, I don't have the option of travelling to new locations on a regular basis. Different strokes for different folks - I went to Anadale state park a few times and found it not to be my cup of tea but I wouldn't bag on it because I know plenty of people enjoy the trail.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Hmm... still find beaverbiker's attitude cynical . I know a few burned out bike riders that always think yester-year was the only good biking era and if a trail doesn't meet their expectations it is lame. Personally, I like JM and Pacifica, I don't have the option of travelling to new locations on a regular basis. Different strokes for different folks - I went to Anadale state park a few times and found it not to be my cup of tea but I wouldn't bag on it because I know plenty of people enjoy the trail.
I wouldn't classify him as a 'burned out bike rider.'

To each their own.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
... i just don't get. If your the best rider to ever hit any trail In either pacifica or Joaquin, and can beat ANY rider in the area down them; then you have the right to say that the trails are boring. But i doubt that you are the fastest rider down trail as Joaquin or Pacifica which means you still have room to improve. So untill you can beat lets say Jared Graves down Pacifica or Joaquin, you shouldn't be saying they are boring. :disgust1:
He'd be damn close...

Coming to BeaverBiker's aid, I think you guys are putting too much weight on one guys opinion. To each his own, everybody likes different stuff. As long as your having fun, that's what counts. Just go rip it up. Clapped-out bike, factory rig, whatever. Just pin it and smile. :biggrin:

I've known him for a while and he is opinionated, but not cynical, and not an ass. Well.. he is an ass, but not in the way you are assuming.