Quantcast

San Fran/Yosemite visit

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
Heading to SF to visit my brother for a week. Got tickets to a Giants/Cubs game, and the brother has been living in SF for 5 years now so I should get a good tour. Going to Yosemite for 2 days too. Anyone want to drop a dime on those two scenes? Looking for some good hiking suggestions for Yosemite (half day & a full day) - camping at the North Pines campground right at the main valley (Half Dome, Illilouette, Sentinel?). No idea what the terrain or hikes are like.

Last edited:

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
Ok, Half Dome looks stupid.

Please be warned there is an increase in crowding and congestion on Saturdays and holiday weekends on Half Dome. Most visitors arriving at the cables during these periods will experience slow access to the summit, extended exposure to potentially uncomfortable conditions, and an increased likelihood of irresponsible behavior due to frustration with conditions.
Crowded hiking is not for me. We'll be in Yosemite from Sun-Mon, hopefully the crowds will have died off. I just wanna see some big trees and spend a 10 hr day hiking in the woods. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/valleyhikes.htm

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
Ok, Half Dome looks stupid.

Crowded hiking is not for me. We'll be in Yosemite from Sun-Mon, hopefully the crowds will have died off. I just wanna see some big trees and spend a 10 hr day hiking in the woods. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/valleyhikes.htm
Half Dome is an awesome hike as long as you don't do it on a weekend. You go past Nevada Falls and Vernal Falls - both are fantastic. And the views from Half Dome are amazing. Just bring a pair of leather gloves - the cables can shred your hands.

If you're totally opposed to Half Dome, I would drive out the road towards Glacier Point and hike both Sentinel Dome (~2-3 miles) and Taft Point (~2-3 miles). Both are fantastic.

Also fun is the hike up to the top of Yosemite Falls, and you can go east a little and see the Lost Arrow, but the hike is STEEP.

I used to live in Fresno and would drive up there every Saturday and do a ~20-mile run to train for marathons. It's hard to think about how sore your legs are with scenery like that!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I grew up in Sequoia/Kings canyon national park. IMHO much better than Yosemite and going to be way less crowded on a weekend. Driving time from San Fran is comparable.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I hiked half dome in mid October several years ago. There was only one other group up there. Got to camp at the top. I had no idea how rare that was at the time. Having seen pictures of the crowds at peak season, I would recommend it if you are in the area.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Also, did a bike riding beer tour of the city with my sister a couple summers ago. Was pretty fun. If it weren't for the bike ride in the fresh air, I would have puked on the BART.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I flew out to SF a month ago and spent a week, didnt make it out to Yosemite, but this is the view I had from the plane when flying over it...

ON FIRE!!
It amazed me when flying over Yosemite that you could see the distinct geologic zones down below. The meta-volcanic zones and the meta-sedimentary zones are clearly visible from the air. The Glacially polished granite near Glen Aulin was amazing to see from the air. The faults and striations were even cooler in person. Frost pocks hundreds of feet wide! Just an amazing place....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I recommend hikes from tioga rd... it's hard to go wrong up here.

May Lake followed by Mt Hoffman
Amazing views... relatively short, but steep hike from may lake to the peak.

North Dome hike - travels south to spectacular views of the valley from directly across half dome. Approx 8-10 miles

Grant lake
Brilliant back country hike that goes through tons of varied terrain. Half moon meadow is great. Rewarded with grant lake at the end, and a small peak to ascend to from there. Approx 12-14 miles. Unlikely to see anyone on this trip.

Ragged Peak/Young Lakes
Around Toulome Meadows area. Great views... nice off-trail hiking.
Approx 10 miles.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
JESUS! $280 for a messenger bag?? :eek:
I think the regular bags are around $140. Had a special a couple months ago where bags were 40% off. Not sure where you're seeing $280 for a bag. Anyway, it's a cool shop... have more than bags... apparel, shoes, etc. Cool spot to stop.