Quantcast

San Juan: anyone got info?

does anyone have any info, pics or knowledge about San Juan trail?

correct me if i'm wrong because i dont know too much about it, but heres what i think i know:
its on the giant mountain in S.J.C.
theres crazy DH
its ultra long and shuttleable
uhhh, theres tons of rocks?

anything else?
FactoryCotscoDH and i are making a movie and we want to hit this place up if it is as good as i have heard...

PM if theres anytop secret info of course...

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
ya u can shuttle it, the mountain isnt in San Juan Capistrano, Its up in the mountains above San juan,
The DH is pretty cool, the top part is in the woods and has a few rocks, and the bottom is in the open where there is NO shade and is on some slippery of sand kind of terrain with no rocks. theres a good size uphill in the middle of it. Its 11 miles, or around 9 if you do old san juan trail (a shorter more fun shortcut)
You can also shuttle it.

-Wes

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
I wouldn't really call it "insane DH". It's a fun run with lots of distance, most of it really smooth and not a problem on a HT. I guess you could get some high speed footage between groups of hikers and throw in a Pacific Blue turn on the big right hand sweeper in the middle flat part of the whole run. Bust out your cool XC bikes for this one though.

GunShow?

Chimp
May 12, 2004
I wouldn't really classify SJT as a DH trail at all. It is a great all mtn trail, that is really fast and has insane flow after you learn it.

For some real insight, hit up Edgy. He rides up there 5 or 6 times a week. ;)

skate

Chimp
Aug 19, 2006
does anyone have any info, pics or knowledge about San Juan trail?

correct me if i'm wrong because i dont know too much about it, but heres what i think i know:
its on the giant mountain in S.J.C.
theres crazy DH
its ultra long and shuttleable
uhhh, theres tons of rocks?

anything else?
FactoryCotscoDH and i are making a movie and we want to hit this place up if it is as good as i have heard...

PM if theres anytop secret info of course...

How are you planning on getting and shuttling up there?
Did you get your bike back and working?

Hey give me a call later. i have all the info you need on it, but like they mentioned its pretty much an xc/all mountain type riding.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
I wouldn't really classify SJT as a DH trail at all. It is a great all mtn trail, that is really fast and has insane flow after you learn it.

For some real insight, hit up Edgy. He rides up there 5 or 6 times a week. ;)
" I must consult the Bonez!" Dude...at least 5 times but Aquaholic may have me beat. He does it backwards too.

How are you planning on getting and shuttling up there?
Did you get your bike back and working?

Hey give me a call later. i have all the info you need on it, but like they mentioned its pretty much an xc/all mountain type riding.

we were planning on hitching a ride with his mom up there... unless you wanna ride...

no, my bike is still missing the essentials like drivetrain, and i'm pretty sure i want to just go ahead and sell the framefor cheap to someone of i can find a buyer... i have to get something better. i also have $600 worth of gold that i found in my closet and i'm not into jewelry, so i'm gonna combine the two and get a new frame...

i'll call you up sometime when i have a phone...

some co-workers of mine told me about Ortega up by SJC and said it was rad DH... anyone got info/confirmation on this if its not the same place?

skate

Chimp
Aug 19, 2006
we were planning on hitching a ride with his mom up there... unless you wanna ride...

no, my bike is still missing the essentials like drivetrain, and i'm pretty sure i want to just go ahead and sell the framefor cheap to someone of i can find a buyer... i have to get something better. i also have $600 worth of gold that i found in my closet and i'm not into jewelry, so i'm gonna combine the two and get a new frame...

i'll call you up sometime when i have a phone...

some co-workers of mine told me about Ortega up by SJC and said it was rad DH... anyone got info/confirmation on this if its not the same place?

My friend asked me earlier today before I saw this thread, but I'm still not sure if I'm going this weekend or not.

SJT is cool. I've been there several times and it's definetly a fun ride.

Also I hope you don't plan on hiking up to take pictures, because that run is really long, and it's not something you want to go out an do unless it's specifically to bike.

dft

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
i'd be up for it...

just checking, are there any sick corners on the edge of the hill? for like a panorama shot of someone drifting? (as any photographer would ask)

san juan is anything but a hardcore downhill trail. just about all of it is very smooth, hardly any rocks. you could clean this thing on a kmart bike. now a real backcountry trail is right next to it, los pinos!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
San Juan is NOT a technical place. Los Pinos is technical - but it is a LOT of up and down.

You could always do the Chiquita loop - much more technical on the DH parts, but still not a DH run. There is pedaling involved at several points.

dft

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
San Juan is NOT a technical place. Los Pinos is technical - but it is a LOT of up and down.

You could always do the Chiquita loop - much more technical on the DH parts, but still not a DH run. There is pedaling involved at several points.
correct. i like long backcountry epic technical descents. my top 5 stana ana mountian trails are

1. bell ridge
2. coldwater
3. los pinos
4. joplin
5. san juan+chiquito

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Bell was not fun for me, I ran out of water before we veered of los Pinos
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180314

Have not done Cold Water or Los Pinos (based on my excperience on Bell... aint even gonna try Los Pinos for a while)

Joplin was awesome... although the climb up harding nearly killed me.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158375

San Juan and Chiquita (or is it Chiquito?) are tons of fun and an easy pedal fro when i have not been riding much.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136191
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159189

Another nice easy climb then fun decent is the Luge
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156167

dft

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
yea, you gotta be on your game for bell ridge, not for the casual rider. its a LONG grind up with many hike-a-bike sections. the full loops usually tkaes up 6 hours. los pinos is even longer, ~7 hours with no shuttle (i will shuttle that one!). i just did joplin, STT, luge on sat.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA

Ditto that.

I went out to Chiquito for my first time last fall, thinking that since we were "shuttling" there woldn't really be any work on the ride... WRONG :) But it is a fun trail and while doable on a FR hardtail (I still walked my share of downhill stuff) a full squish would be ideal. The dh portions are fun, a good amount of switchbacks and sharp corners. If you're into chunk, there are a good amount of short rock drop/roll sections. The only downer about most of em is that the portion of trail they are on has some decent exposure which ups the ante a little bit. If you're going to do Chiquito, defintely do the shuttle route. I think the trail is something like 12 or 14 miles. Get an early start as it is starting to get warm out there and as mentioned, a good portion of the trail (especially the one major climb) isn't in the shade. Definitely a fun trail, and even though it kicked my ass last time I was out, I'm looking forward to hitting it a couple times this year after I get done putting my new bike together.

Chris