Quantcast

Sanction Scratch repair

Natedogg

Monkey
Jun 10, 2003
Mazzzzchappi
santaboy said:
Any Ideas for repairing a scratch in sanctions?
Sanctions, huh? Not sure about that, but if youre talking about stanchions, I might be able to help...

I patched some scratches on my old Boxxer with some JB Weld. I think I did a search on RM and got some info, but I think I also posted something and got a bunch of replies--do a search for it.

Long story short, I wet sanded the area with super fine paper, mixed up some JB Weld and carefully applied it to the area. Then I wet sanded it so it was flush with the rest of the stanchion. Seemed to work fairly well... Problem is, you probably will never get it super flush so its back to perfect. I suppose you could get some calipers and a magnifying glass... But as long as you sand it down and get the rough edges down, you wont destroy your seals every time the fork compresses. Then when you fill it in with _______ (your choice of JB Weld, glass epoxy, finger nail polish, etc), you should minimize the oil leakage.

If you have black stanchions, you may be able to get a dye for whatever epoxy you put on so it doesnt look like crap. My Boxxer had silver stanchions and 3 or 4 spots of nasty gray JB Weld. Looked like crap. :nopity:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
What kind of dye could I get for jb weld? I would hate to make my stanchions look like sh!t. I want to fix them and have it look okay (do it right the first time...).

Natedogg

Monkey
Jun 10, 2003
Mazzzzchappi
What kind of dye could I get for jb weld? I would hate to make my stanchions look like sh!t. I want to fix them and have it look okay (do it right the first time...).
No idea, never dyed mine. Try food coloring first, I suppose (???), and do it on a scrap piece of metal. Leave it outside and see if the color holds.