Quantcast

sandhill questions?

D

dukesoftahoe

what up all? iam thinking of driving down to hit up sandhill DS this weekend. a few questions though since i've never been on a DS course. first off all i have is my hardtail single speed. will i atleast be able to make the course and clear the tables with only one speed. secondly what class should i be in? i've raced DH a few times but nothing like a DS. thanks for the help and hopefully i'll make the 4 hour drive and see you fools there on saturday.

thanks,
Kris

jmeperu

Monkey
Jan 20, 2005
Santa Cruz
sand hilll in fine on a single speed hardtail. do beginner if its your first race.
have fun and hope that it doesnt rain.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I race sand hill on a single speed hardtail, and it works just fine! what class did you race for DH? race the same class for slalom.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
In my experience mud tires pack with mud over there. I figured that out at GGG when my Nevegals packed into 10lb slicks. Bring tires with low knobs so the stuff falls off easily. Like a Bling Bling or a K-rad.

Sand hill is fun, race in the same category as you race DH, and singlespeeds work fine there. I won a few races there on my SS, on 4x and DS.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
do you guys think it will be muddy on sunday if it doesnt rain anymore? W MIGHT plan on being down there if anybody wants to meet. this is of course it is dry

East Bay Rich

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
WC CA
scurban said:
I race sand hill on a single speed hardtail, and it works just fine! what class did you race for DH? race the same class for slalom.
D- you run SS? dang. I still couldn't keep up. Hopefully this time we don't miss our gates.

-Rich

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
East Bay Rich said:
D- you run SS? dang. I still couldn't keep up. Hopefully this time we don't miss our gates.

-Rich
I would have been a little more dissappointed had I been the only one to miss my gate, but since you missed yours too, I'm thinking they jumped the gun a little.

This time I'll be ready

maybe

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
captainpolution said:
do you guys think it will be muddy on sunday if it doesnt rain anymore? W MIGHT plan on being down there if anybody wants to meet. this is of course it is dry
the only part that will be muddy there is right after the finish line on the 4x course and you dont want to end up riding into that area. other than that it should be dry. (knock on wood)

D

dukesoftahoe

thanks for all the info guys. i went out and rode sport had a good time even though i crashed out my second qualifying lap and ended up getn eliminated. just curious if any you guys ride sport and what your average times are.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
i was racing beg/sport on the green loki my qual. times are usually around 43's but yesterday that blue course was way slow and beaten up for me. what bike were you on?

D

dukesoftahoe

i was on the black identiti single speed. i ran a 43 on the red course and crashed on the blue.

East Bay Rich

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
WC CA
I ride a red Tazer and ran 45 flat for both red and blue. This is my 2nd race in the Sport class, and 4th DS. I want to race Saturday the 9th, but doubt I can make it. Tahoe is calling and I have free lift tix!

-Rich

D

dukesoftahoe

rich i was riding against you in the second qualifing run. i think it was your awsome start that made me rush the first jump and crash. i gota lern how to do that gate start. not riding all winter i had no balance and add in the nervous shakes i couldnt keep both feet on the pedals in time for the gate to drop. any pointers you guys got for the gate id much apreciate.

East Bay Rich

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
WC CA
"awesome start"... yeah right : ) Thanks, tho. I was watching the quicker people and they pick up their front wheel just as the gate is being released, so I've been trying that technique. I'm not hitting the doubles at all. Hopefully I can work on that after this series. How does one keep speed on the shorter inside berms?

-Rich

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
highflyrider2 said:
hey you cant race at sandhill with single speed on dual slalom anymore! but u can go there for fun. just no compitions. sucks doesnt it

when did they do that? and why? Why is Mountian bike racing so anti-single speed? People race s/s xc bikes right? Don't they even have a s/s class? I just don't understand it.

I'm not going to sandhill any more if thats the case! I'll just race at the bmx track in prunedale if I want to race.

If there gonna get all picky about what you have to ride, I'm not going there anymore.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
yah, i really don't see why it matters. i really hope that isnt the case, becasue sandhill cabn use all the buissness they can get!