Quantcast

sanjay top american in 39th UCI points

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
So why do you think that our top guy is in 39th?

I was reading an issue of Bike (or some other mag, I forget) and they were saying that we just dont have the commitment to train every day, in season and off. I'm not saying that Sanjay is or is not in that group, just that in genreal Americans are like that and that is why we have not had any top pro's over the last few years. Be it Sanjay or someone else.

Oh, they also talked about how we are more of a Dirt-jump type of culture. Big tricks, but lack of strength and endurance. Take it for whatever its worth.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
awesome!

pretty crazy that he's the top american, yet doesn't appear to have full on factory support like duncon riffle. what's the deal???

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
awesome!

pretty crazy that he's the top american, yet doesn't appear to have full on factory support like duncon riffle. what's the deal???

no, wait, if you think that is funny then hear this

sanjay was staying at my place after the valpo urban race, where he finished 4th, riffle finished 12th and the defending pan am dh champ finished 5th.

so, sanjay was trying (him, amelia and CVD) to get permission from the US cycling federation to race in the pan am dh championships (continental UCI championship, like the oceanias or the euro championship) but they didnt at first let him (or any of the others) race because the USofA only had 10 slots, and there hadnt been an official selection process. and according to them, somebody might complain that they were unable to race because these riders that already were in south america racing and training, were allowed to race.

now, this is the 10th time that race goes on and before this year no US DH riders had EVER entered, sanjay had just beaten the US national champion pretty comprehensively, and also beaten the reigning pan am champion, plus they wouldnt have to pay a dime to get him to race.......

i think he was already on his way to argentina when he got the word that they were letting them race anyway, but man, the amount of BS they had to go through to just race, unsupported, was just insane.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
So what is kind of permission was needed to race the Valpo Urban race? It sounds like it would be different than the Pan-Am DH race.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So is it safe to say that a vast majority of UCI DH races (non World-Cup) you need to go through your national federation to go (eligibility, registration, etc.)?
Nope. World Cups you have to be on a trade team or go through the federation (as wel las have 20 points now). 99% of other races are wide open. Valpo is a special case, as are a few other events that offer points.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I think '08 will see a shakeup in overall UCI ranking points. We have the prize money at local races here to have E2 events nearly every weekend, the problem is no-one ever really realised it was important.

Take Cyclocross for example, US men went from starting on the back row at worlds to the front row, due to US promoters stepping up and going through the rigamorale of UCI sanctioning.

Notice how Kabush is #1 in the world right now? That is a comibnation of chasing points down south, but mostly US promoters, at the behest of USAC getting UCI sanctioning for the early season races so that USA's potential "golden boys" can get a better position on the line in Beijeng.

Ranking is no reflection of cabaility or performance when US racers do not compete in the events that yield ranking points.

That being said, yes, there has been no institutional support of DH since Stephan Girard left, but honestly, I beleive there are enough people in powerful positions in the industry in this country who believe in supporting US racers that we can easily overcome that hurdle.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
no, wait, if you think that is funny then hear this

sanjay was staying at my place after the valpo urban race, where he finished 4th, riffle finished 12th and the defending pan am dh champ finished 5th.

so, sanjay was trying (him, amelia and CVD) to get permission from the US cycling federation to race in the pan am dh championships (continental UCI championship, like the oceanias or the euro championship) but they didnt at first let him (or any of the others) race because the USofA only had 10 slots, and there hadnt been an official selection process. and according to them, somebody might complain that they were unable to race because these riders that already were in south america racing and training, were allowed to race.

now, this is the 10th time that race goes on and before this year no US DH riders had EVER entered, sanjay had just beaten the US national champion pretty comprehensively, and also beaten the reigning pan am champion, plus they wouldnt have to pay a dime to get him to race.......

i think he was already on his way to argentina when he got the word that they were letting them race anyway, but man, the amount of BS they had to go through to just race, unsupported, was just insane.
haha, sounds like the malaysian cycling federation, just with out the corruption. and they would have probably given the green light after the race is over.

Transcend said:
Nope. World Cups you have to be on a trade team or go through the federation (as wel las have 20 points now). 99% of other races are wide open. Valpo is a special case, as are a few other events that offer points.
so even if you are a national rider for a country you still need 20points? what about the worlds?

edit,read up on the stuff on the british cycling web site... you dont need the 20 points if you are a national rider.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
I think '08 will see a shakeup in overall UCI ranking points. We have the prize money at local races here to have E2 events nearly every weekend, the problem is no-one ever really realised it was important.

hopefully there will be some e1 too because you can only use 3 e2's for your total points so basically you only get to the WC with some podiums.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
woah... kick ass!!! Good work Sanjay!
Wow Abe, where have you been the last couple years? How's it going? You still in the Bay Area?

Transcend said:
Originally Posted by biker3
Sanjay on the other hand, with some work ethic, ego adjustment and support could be killing it. He's got the third nut that gets you on the podium.
If you think Sanjay has an ego, you have obviously never met the guy.
Where did this post go? biker3, yeah I know that factory support and better work ethic could definitely help, but I'm not sure why you think my ego needs adjustment. Do I need a bigger ego? I would've thought that my ego was one of the smaller ones...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah the only thing I can think of is maybe he meant you need more of a big ego...sort of put yourself out there and sell your talents...but that doesn't seem like you at all...D

Abe

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
BORED OFF MY ASS
Wow Abe, where have you been the last couple years? How's it going? You still in the Bay Area?

Where did this post go? biker3, yeah I know that factory support and better work ethic could definitely help, but I'm not sure why you think my ego needs adjustment. Do I need a bigger ego? I would've thought that my ego was one of the smaller ones...
I decided to stop racing around when Kurt broke himself and kinda ODed on RM, which I guess resulted in a total disappearance.

Things have been good though... I hadn't been riding very much, but I'm hoping to change that! I'm now in Boston (started a PhD at MIT in feb), and just got Stone to ship my bike over, so I'm excited to go riding!!! Its been a while.

Lemme know if your out this way!

-=Abe

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Thanks... Congrats on having the most posts of everyone on RM... thats quite an acheivement! What happened to Acadian??? How did you pass him... your fingers must be tired!!!

Acadian doesn't post much here anymore...but I remember you use to be a pretty consitent poster...what happened to your post count?...D