Sep 8, 2001
NM
finally done. all it needs is the rider.:p
anyone going down I-40 next week?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Dude, get that thing out of the grass! I heard that carbon fiber, like, melts if you get it damp.

What geometry did he go for? And how fast can you have it to him, because he's been...well, let's say he just wants it really bad.

Sweet work, man.

MD

Untitled

Chimp
Jan 30, 2004
Other than looking really badass, what's the benefit of carbon fiber at 10.2 lbs? Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to be said about uniqueness, but the way a DH bike is ridden, it seems that art may have a short life.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Untitled
Other than looking really badass, what's the benefit of carbon fiber at 10.2 lbs? Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to be said about uniqueness, but the way a DH bike is ridden, it seems that art may have a short life.
Well, consider that a carbon DH bike at 10.2lbs is going to be much, much stronger than an aluminum DH bike at 10.2lbs. Not to mention - I'm not really up on current DH bike weights, but isn't ~10lbs about one of the lightest real DH bikes around? I thought an Orange was just a bit over 10lbs with a Ti sprung 5th Element. And this bike is 10.2 with headset and a steel spring.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Originally posted by binary visions
Well, consider that a carbon DH bike at 10.2lbs is going to be much, much stronger than an aluminum DH bike at 10.2lbs. Not to mention - I'm not really up on current DH bike weights, but isn't ~10lbs about one of the lightest real DH bikes around? I thought an Orange was just a bit over 10lbs with a Ti sprung 5th Element. And this bike is 10.2 with headset and a steel spring.
and steel 100mm bb!

yeah, the 10lb carbon bike is 10x stronger than the 10lb alum frame.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Originally posted by MikeD
Dude, get that thing out of the grass! I heard that carbon fiber, like, melts if you get it damp.

What geometry did he go for? And how fast can you have it to him, because he's been...well, let's say he just wants it really bad.

Sweet work, man.

MD
21.75 tt
70 seat angle
65.5 head angle
16 CS
14.5" or 13.5'' BB

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by bcd
and steel 100mm bb!

yeah, the 10lb carbon bike is 10x stronger than the 10lb alum frame.
Even better. Slap a Ti spring on there and you've got a sub-10lb DH bike (including BB and headset) that you can drop off a cliff.

That's some funky geometry, though. Sounds like Sanjay is a guy who knows what he likes :D - really short chainstays, slack(ish) headangle, low BB. What are the chainstays like when the shock is bottomed out (how much growth)?

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
SWEET!!! Sanjay is gonna rock that b*tch, I think it will work REALLY well with his riding style!

Those CS become your best friend, all you have to do is pull up on the bars with your pinkys and the front end comes off the ground... sooooooo light and short.

One of these days I think I'm gonna have to have you build me a 1.5" front end for my Inedible so I can run a Breakout+.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by bcd
21.75 tt
70 seat angle
65.5 head angle
16 CS
14.5" or 13.5'' BB
Kinda reminds me of the geometry of the 2MXtb HT that he won the BB National Expert class on last year...a little slacker is all...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'll be going down Autobahn Interstate 40 this weekend, does that mean I can get a free frame?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
wait so here is my question, is it really inedible? Or is that just like, marketing hype. I mean if sanjay got really hungry hitchiking his way to the east coast he could, in all honesty, eat it right?

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I've gotta admit I don't get the whole 10 times stronger deal I always hear about CF stuff. Everyone says it is so much stronger, then usually complains about breaking it more often than aluminum.

Really, how many DH bikes are being torn to pieces because they're way too weak? Why not just make it twice as strong and a hell of a lot lighter?

Could it be because when someone says 10 times as strong they're really misleading people a bit as it's 10 times as strong in a special stress test but they aren't 10 times as resistant to breaking in the real world after getting dinged and scratched up?

All BS aside, all most riders care about is that their bike doesn't brake. If someone makes a bike that is ten times as resistant to breaking as most aluminum bikes out there instead of making something far lighter they wouldn't be my first pick for the guy to buy frames from. If they are making them the same weight because they have to to prevent breaking (any lighter and they'd break easier, or too often) then saying they are 10 times stronger seems misleading. I dont' think most people are considering the strength of individual tubes when they talk about how "strong" their bike is, they are talking about how well it resists breaking and the CF parts and bikes I have seen don't resist breaking 10 times as well as their aluminum counterparts.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by crashing_sux
Well, first off, I don't think you're right about the amount of frames that break. The fact is, I've seen a hell of a lot of frames with cracked welds, ovalized headtubes, broken swingarms, twisted seat masts, busted shock mounts.. Frames break. A lot. Especially for someone on a budget (as Sanjay always seems to be, judging by the amount of posts in the B&S forum saying "Buy this, so I can race this weekend"), that can be a huge hairy deal. Sometimes the $300 for a new swingarm just doesn't exist, and that means you don't race.

I'd take a same-weight DH frame that I'm sure won't break over a lighter frame that's only marginally stronger than a run-of-the-mill, race-only frame.

Second, it IS lighter than the other DH frames. As was discussed above. About the lightest DH frame around is the Ti sprung Orange 223, and this frame is lighter even when you include the weight of the BB, headset and steel spring.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM

What are you using for shock hardware?

So how much do you sell these frames for?

WB?

i am trying a e glass 1/2 rod on top and a 1/2 shoulder bolt on bottom.

they are 2500 as pictured.

i am not taking any orders till aug. lol:p

wb around 43.5. a little hard w/o the fork

thanks all. it is cool to see another son born.

:cool:

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
I've gotta admit I don't get the whole 10 times stronger deal I always hear about CF stuff. Everyone says it is so much stronger, then usually complains about breaking it more often than aluminum.

Really, how many DH bikes are being torn to pieces because they're way too weak? Why not just make it twice as strong and a hell of a lot lighter?

Could it be because when someone says 10 times as strong they're really misleading people a bit as it's 10 times as strong in a special stress test but they aren't 10 times as resistant to breaking in the real world after getting dinged and scratched up?

All BS aside, all most riders care about is that their bike doesn't brake. If someone makes a bike that is ten times as resistant to breaking as most aluminum bikes out there instead of making something far lighter they wouldn't be my first pick for the guy to buy frames from. If they are making them the same weight because they have to to prevent breaking (any lighter and they'd break easier, or too often) then saying they are 10 times stronger seems misleading. I dont' think most people are considering the strength of individual tubes when they talk about how "strong" their bike is, they are talking about how well it resists breaking and the CF parts and bikes I have seen don't resist breaking 10 times as well as their aluminum counterparts.

i m with you bro

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
CF parts and bikes I have seen don't resist breaking 10 times as well as their aluminum counterparts.

i make bikes not to break. not killer light stuff. they just come out light.:)

no dh frames i have made have ever broke. david last year cracked a super light rear swingarm he was trying but as for frames i send out, nada cracks or breaks. nada. seth in on his 3rd year and my 2x4 was on its 4th. i am not saying you can't
break them. but thay will last 10x longer than any alum frame.
i am talking fatuge strength in 10x longer. if both bike get ghosted off a cliff and pound a rock both will get crushed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by bcd

no dh frames i have made have ever broke. david last year cracked a super light rear swingarm he was trying but as for frames i send out, nada cracks or breaks. nada. seth in on his 3rd year and my 2x4 was on its 4th. i am not saying you can't
i am talking fatuge strength in 10x longer. if both bike get ghosted off a cliff and pound a rock both will get crushed.
Yeah but CF looks brittle on the internet.

;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by bcd
they are 2500 as pictured.
:eek:

A fully custom carbon frame with shock, headset, bottom bracket and chainguide, with other options (headtube size, rear axle size - have you ever put ISCG mounts on? What about a front derailleur mount?), all for the price of a high end, off the shelf frame.

You sure ain't in it for the luxurious lifestyle it provides, are you? :thumb:

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Wow, that is one sweet looking frame. Did BCD ever make hardtails or road bike? I still have one of their seatpost but the clamp doesn't hold anymore :(

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by bcd

This comment isn't directed at your bikes in particular, it's more general than that. Just like there are people building super strong aluminum and steel DH frames and I'm all for that.

In general though there seems to be somewhat of a concensus from the average rider that there is a strength/weight balancing act and we accept that most DH frames out there are strong enough, otherwise we wouldn't be buying them (and by we I mean anyone with a DH bike).

Considering that, and if you really can make a CF DH frame that's 10 times as strong at similar weight (yeah, a bit lighter but nothing extraordinary) then I wonder why someone doesn't make a frame that's the same strength and half the weight or less. Seems like that would sell like hotcakes, if it could really be done although I have my doubts.

I also hear that CF bars are 10 times stronger than aluminum bars yet I've heard of way more carbon bars breaking (even though I know far fewer people running them), funny how that works.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by WestCoastHucker
those bars are also a ton lighter, not of comparable weight:rolleyes:
Also, you have the factor of when an aluminum bar breaks, people shrug, say "That was GNAR", and replace it.

When a carbon bar breaks under the exact same conditions, people start posting about how weak carbon is and look what happened to my friend's bar and an aluminum bar would never have done this and if ANYONE EVER BUYS CARBON BE PREPARED TO DIE FOOLS.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I think that is one sick looking bike, great job on the build!

I'm gonna say this, because it's probably true to a point, is that carbon fiber gets a bad rap in some departments. We've all seen carbon bars break and seatposts. No hiding that. The fact is look what a bar goes through (short of how many have just randomly broke, I have seen tons where the riders claim it smacked a tree or something) and broke it. Seatposts I dunno what is with them but I see them online and in mag's. It's like people want you to believe they are inferior parts.

Truth is, when used right (I.E. while riding and not crashing :) )Carbon rocks. You get good feeling parts that are very strong. I don't think NASA and other military deals would use carbon fiber if it didn't do that, strong and light. I'd be all over carbon fiber if it wasn't so much, and on a DH bike, and you fall or tweek something carbon it's just more to replace. IF I was smooth of any sort I'd have a carbon outfit on the bike.

Also how thick are those walls? I know on my carbon bar they were much thicker than the aluminum easton one I have now on the bike. I'm guessing you use some nice, thick carbon tubes and it's just as strong as aluminum in any aspect. Given guys and DH bikes are pretty much made disposable (no one has the same DH bike for 10 years) it is ok to do this.

Overall keep it up! That price isn't bad or outragious for a full carbon, 1.5HT, Romic equiped rig. Think about all the frames out in the market for $2500+ that have the strength, weight, and cool factor to them. I just think it's a different idea which makes it good.

Keep it up!

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Damn Alex, that thing is beautiful. I am going to have to try very hard to resist eating it.

I think I was able to con my mom out of her car for a couple months, so I should be able to drive out to Seth's place and then head to the East Coast from there.

to Crashing-Sux or other people skeptical about these frames, I rode a frame that is on it's third year (by a fast Jr. Expert who like to go big) down so pretty gnarly trails a couple weeks ago without a second thought because these things are strong. I have gone through my fair share of Aluminum frames. They always seem to crack at the right time, such as a big race. I am ready for it to stop. Hell since a week or so before Sea Otter, I have cracked two aluminum frames.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by Spunger

Also how thick are those walls?
Almost 1/4" if its just like my Inedible, you could literally take a baseball bat to the main tubes and you'd only hurt your hands. :D .

That beachcruiser and pixie bike don't count Sanjay :rolleyes: :D