Quantcast

Santa Cruz Butcher sizing

Squam_DH

Chimp
Feb 24, 2009
I'm looking to order a Santa Cruz Butcher soon, and am trying to decide between a medium and a large. I'm about 5'10 with a 31" inseam. I am planning on building it up as a all-mountain/mini DH/jump bike with a single chainring, 50mm stem, -1 deg. Angleset and a relatively burly suspension set-up (Lyrik, Monarch Plus)

I like the shorter seat tube and standover on the medium, but I am worried the TT and WB will just be too short. So my questions for people who have had some time on them, will the medium be too small? Does the large frame still jump well and does it feel like the seat tube or higher standover gets in the way?

For reference, I have been racing DH for about as long as I have been riding and I sold my Makulu to build this rig up, so it needs to be able to pin DH well and be a solid jumper. Climbing ability is not the priority, but it still needs to be capable and fairly comfortable in that department.

Thanks!:thumb:

Last edited:

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
If you are unsure about the correct sizing for you I would suggest going to a Santa Cruz dealer in your area (if you have one) and see what they recommend. If you don't live near one or they are completely incompetent, let me suggest something to you. The large only has about 1/2 and inch higher standover than the medium but has an inch longer top tube. I believe with your longer torso you would benefit from the longer reach and wheelbase of the large. This will allow you to run a short stem and attack DH as well as climb the bike for an extended period of time without feeling cramped. Oh and a part of the seemingly high standover height is due to the high bottom bracket of this bike. Once you are on it I bet you would hardly notice the difference in standover between the medium and large.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im in a similar boat as you. im torn b/w the Large or XL Butcher. ive been leaning towards the XL b/c of its 1" longer TT.
id lean towards a large for you, judging by your height and inseam

also, check with your dealer soon if you are looking for a frame. after checking their inventory today, most colors and sizes are limited availability or not in stock at all

Last edited:

Squam_DH

Chimp
Feb 24, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys.

The shop that I am a patron of is a SC dealer, but don't have them in stock so I couldn't try one out to see how they fit. They definately recommended a large, but I still wanted to see what others thought about it. I think I'll go with a large. For some reason I thought the standover was an inch higher. An inch more wheelbase will probobly help on the DH too.

Hopefully I will be able to order a large black, though I'm sure thats probably a popular size/color. The rep took a few days off so we will see....