Quantcast

Santa Cruz employment...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'll be moving to this fine corner of the world in the next month and a half ish for school, but the lack of "college-lackey" positions listed on Craiglist and the like are worrisome. Where are jobs listed around here, does college-type employment pay a living wage, and how difficult are they to come by? In Utah the economy is still booming so getting a decent-paying job isn't tough, but I'm told CA is tougher...enlighten me.

edit: I'm here now. I've got two weeks to find something...anything...

Last edited:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I would be surprised if you couldn't find a service industry job just about anywhere.

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Hi Blue--

I've been here for almost 2 yrs--I've spent half of that time unemployed. Yes, it can be worrisome, but it also teaches one to be creative. BTW--I am educated. The degree doesn't matter, it's a tight economy & a tight community, understand?

So, it's up to you--are you up to the challenge? I read a santa cruz co. statistic that shows that ages 20-30 leave the county. These people leave, I'm sure because they'd like to own a home, or sick of using all their payroll for rent, or being unemployed. Or maybe I'm talkin' outta my ass...

Regardless, good luck on whatever you decide.

SCTreeHugger

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005
Hi Blue--

I've been here for almost 2 yrs--I've spent half of that time unemployed. Yes, it can be worrisome, but it also teaches one to be creative. BTW--I am educated. The degree doesn't matter, it's a tight economy & a tight community, understand?

So, it's up to you--are you up to the challenge? I read a santa cruz co. statistic that shows that ages 20-30 leave the county. These people leave, I'm sure because they'd like to own a home, or sick of using all their payroll for rent, or being unemployed. Or maybe I'm talkin' outta my ass...

Regardless, good luck on whatever you decide.
If there is a place you want to live and be poor, Santa Cruz is high up there. Tons of stuff to do with little or no money. I had my fun.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
does college-type employment pay a living wage
Ha, making six figures is barely a living wage out here, let alone college-type employment.

But, it still seems like there are a lot of under-employed people managing to get by in SC.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Anyone have a hookup for pretty much anything? I'm here now, but just as I'd feared, jobs are damn tough to get. I've gotten a couple interviews, but nothing has come of them.

Contemplating building a treehouse somewhere in the redwoods.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
SC is tough. Most of the full-time residents either figure something out working for themselves or commute over the hill to the bay. What about one of the 20-odd bikes shops in the county?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah thats true. The bike shops always seem to be looking for someone. Try Family Cycling Center in Capitola. I think they are always looking for new sales people. Plus you get all of your bike celebrity sitings covered there too (Cam, Greg Watts, Jamie Goldman, Etc.) they are frequent shoppers there.

Also be sure to check those links again I posted on my previous post. Best of luck man.

Last edited:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'll stop by there tomorrow, thanks for the heads up. I may end up doing the Highway 17 shuffle during the summer if things don't really pan out in SC, and see if I can dig up a waiter job during school or something :(