Quantcast

Santa Cruz Hell Ride-10,000 Feet of Climbing

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Santa Cruz bikes has announce their Hell Ride Contest. Just wondering how many people around here are capable of climbing 10,000 feet in a day? I know a lot of people around here have gone down 10,000 feet in a day but how many great climbers are there in this forum that could do this? I know three for sure-Borneo, Wanker and Matty and that because I have seen them ride. The ride is in August which means it will probably be hot. Anyway I entered the contest-Marla Streb will be leading the ride. :) Of course as some of you know I might make the climbing part but I would probably wreck coming down. :rolleyes:

Here the link:http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/hellride/index.php?rules=1

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I'm not sure I'm following this. In order to participate in the ride you have to win the contest? Is that how it works? Weird. I think it would be a fun ride, though.

10,000 feet of climbing would be easy if done below race pace :) Had I raced expert this last weekend I would have been completely toast after 5400 feet!

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
mattv2099 said:
I'm not sure I'm following this. In order to participate in the ride you have to win the contest? Is that how it works? Weird. I think it would be a fun ride, though.

10,000 feet of climbing would be easy if done below race pace :) Had I raced expert this last weekend I would have been completely toast after 5400 feet!
Yea, mark weir among other's pic some poor soul to come ride with them. Once he/she finishes the ride only then does he/she get the bike.

I want to sign up waaay bad...but I'm a little young apparently.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Yeah, to actually win the bike you have to be selected and then do the 10,000 feet of climbing. You could do it- I figure 5,000 feet in the morning, then a break-2500- break and then the remainder. You could do it easy. Last years winner was a guy from BC-he was also a real strong biker.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I could sure use a new SC bike. The Superlight has been an awesome bike. But, way too many miles on it and I want to step up in travel to a Heckler. 10K is always a challenge. But, very doable in a day.

Gotta go to bed. Doing 100 dirt miles from the house tomorrow. Will let you know what the cumulative climbing will be... :dancing:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i don't think i've ever done it and i don't really think i ever want to. Unless Marla Streb is really hot or something.....

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I am doing 100 miles also, but its all on the road-the Apple Valley Century over in Wenatchee. I think its the biggest century in the state. !00 miles on dirt is crazy. Have a good ride, sounds like it will take all day. :eek:

Marla Streb is definitely hot, might be worth it just to say you rode with Marla Streb. She did a poster a couple of years ago for one of the bike companies where she was topless with a side shot that cause a little stir. :)

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Pretty frickin' sadistic stuff there! Lessee, that's basically the equivalent to 3 or 4 ascents of Corral Pass. No f***ing way would I want to do that, although I feel I could do it if I trained specifically for something like that...and had a bike that weighed less than 40lbs.
More power to those that aspire to that goal...you freaks!!:D

Marla Streb is a SUPER-freak. Capable of ultra-marathon riding, climbs like a goat and happens to be the reigning US downhill champion. She's hot and intelligent as well. Methinks she would probably f*** most of us to death in bed, but what a way to go.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
DBR X6 RIDER said:
methinks she would probably f*** most of us to death in bed, but what a way to go.
That's always why you have "toys" for backup. :dancing: Recovery time is crucial in any long distance activity you partake in. :p

Sep 29, 2004
DBR X6 RIDER said:
She's hot and intelligent as well. Methinks she would probably f*** most of us to death in bed, but what a way to go.
one, thats weird keep that to urself. two, shes not that hot.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
After I originally posted I thought DBR-the "closet" roadie could probably knock off the hell ride-easy. Another poster over here Logan-JR Expert could also do this ride pretty easy.

If by lucky chance I get picked for this ride I am keeping it a secret how the ride goes with Marla. :) Incidentally she turns 40 this month-pretty remarkable career.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Borregokid said:
After I originally posted I thought DBR-the "closet" roadie could probably knock off the hell ride-easy. Another poster over here Logan-JR Expert could also do this ride pretty easy.

If by lucky chance I get picked for this ride I am keeping it a secret how the ride goes with Marla. :) Incidentally she turns 40 this month-pretty remarkable career.
I didn't say I couldn't do it, just that I would not want to do it. Besides, I don't own a road bike anymore - I'm getting a 'cross bike! Of course, I will be running 23c road tires more often than not.
I remember reading an article somewhere where Marla was saying how alot of guys don't want to ride with her because they're afraid of getting schooled by not only a woman, but one that's older than them.

Sir Happypants said:
one, thats weird keep that to urself. two, shes not that hot.
No three?:( I'll do my best to keep my e-thoughts to my e-self.;)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
DBR X6 RIDER said:
I remember reading an article somewhere where Marla was saying how alot of guys don't want to ride with her because they're afraid of getting schooled by not only a woman, but one that's older than them.
People are so weird that way. If everyone followed that logic to the t i'd never ride with anybody and nobody would ride with me. i don't think my varied skills match up in synch with anybody, either somebody's better or not than me, big deal.
That kinda stupid stuff wouldn't keep me from riding, but 10,000 feet of climbing, well now that's a different story..... :dancing:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Haha i'm such a tool, i saw the prize was a Nomad (i want a Nomad) so i signed up. :oink:
If i were to win, not only would Marla Streb kick my ass, but the girl contestant who wins too! But i don't care i'll finish that damn ride for a free bike. :D

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Skookum said:
Haha i'm such a tool, i saw the prize was a Nomad (i want a Nomad) so i signed up. :oink:
If i were to win, not only would Marla Streb kick my ass, but the girl contestant who wins too! But i don't care i'll finish that damn ride for a free bike. :D
Funny you should post that, after you finished the Kachess Ride I thought "theres another supsect" I know you could do it, you just knocked off a couple of hard rides. Might have to add in a little extra training in the evenings.

Right now I dont even have a Mtn bike, although some would say my ht isnt really a mtn bike. My advice to anyone contemplating overhauling a 5.5 year old SID-"Dont fix it if it ain't broken." :)

Any other "suspects" out there? Still looking for the riders who have "all mountain" capabilities.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Ok, I'm in. What the heck. I need a new bike in a bad way and riding with a hottie like Marla would just be icing on the cake. I wonder what the altitude will be? If it's up in Tahoe, that may be an issues for us seaside folks.

wanker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
Ferndale
This task seems so easy........they must be looking for smoker who has an allergy to fresh air.........I don't see what the big deal is?

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
wanker said:
This task seems so easy........they must be looking for smoker who has an allergy to fresh air.........I don't see what the big deal is?
He-he-he--must be nice being young! :) Borneo, Skookum and myself are contemplating the amount of energy and the grade of climb involved. The site listed 50-80 miles, which I have figured as Devils Gulch twice plus a loop at Freund Canyon :eek: I also figured it might take the energy of a 140 mile road ride. If they use 35-40 miles of smooth single track-road for the climbing part it might take some of the "hell" out.

I think we are up to about six people who think the can knock this ride off.