Quantcast

Santa Cruz VP-Free and external BB cranksets

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I have an '04 VP-Free, and am thinking that I'm going to upgrade the cranks on it. I really like the Saint cranks and the Diabolus, but I'm concerned about the chainline getting all out of whack.

Anyone have any experience with an external BB crankset and this frame?

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Speedgoat didn't do much for me. I tried to put a set of Saint cranks on, but they would not work. The spline was not long enough as a washer had to be run on the non-driveside to make the bearings able to sit flush (there is bearing that sticks out about 0.5 mm that the bearings would contact).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I am pretty sure there is a Saint crank available with a longer axle. Not sure about Race Face, I have seen people running Diabolus on their vp-frees but they also complain about constant loosening and other issues - not sure if it's related.

Your best bet is to call SBC tech support, they will know more than anyone.

Another thing to consider is the new Truvativ Howizter stuff - ISIS with external BB.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
santacruzbikes.com -> bikes -> vpfree -> tech -> faq...

Can I use Saint or Raceface Diabolus X-Type Cranks?
Shimano does not make an external bearing crankset that is compatible with the Free. It is possible to rig a Saint or XT crank on there, but it will have poor chainline, and will not clear the ridge on the non-drive side of the bb shell. We don’t recommend this at all.

Raceface now offers a version of the Diabolus/ Evolve DH that will work. You need the 83mm bb shell version, which offers a 57.5mm chainline. You also need the 73mm shell adaptor kit. The normal version of the Diabolus/Evolve DH/Atlas will work poorly due to improper chainline.

What’s up with that ridge anyway?

That is there so that the bearing cap in the pivot sits flush with the outside of the frame, not sticking out. This is important for bearing sealing reasons.

I am not sure when this was written but i do know that saint cranks can be had in an 83 mm bb now as well..

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I love my friends at Santa Cruz, and I might be wrong about Saint, but I wouldn't count on the SCB website being completely up-to-date.

It's definitely worth a phone call.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Zookster said:
Dosent shimano now offer the Saint with a 83mm BB option?
Yes, as i said at the end of my post. The model # is m805 for the saints in 83mm. The diabolus are available in 68/73mm , 83mm, or 100mm.

OGRipper-
about the race faces getting loose ... supposedly early production cranks had a tollerance problem between the bb and crank arm splines. I got mine at the begining of last summer and had the same prob on that pair. RF sent me a new pair BEFORE i sent mine back!! If you know someone with this problem get in touch with warranty at RF they WILL take care of you. the newer production do not seem to have the problem. I have been VERY happy with my diabolus cranks.

Natedogg

Monkey
Jun 10, 2003
Mazzzzchappi
I had the same question. I dont get it, you always see marketing photos of a Free with Saint cranks...

I was under the impression that they didnt end up making the 805. Ive never seen an 805 rear hub (the 150). Am I just out of touch with the latest??

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
davep said:
OGRipper-
about the race faces getting loose ... supposedly early production cranks had a tollerance problem between the bb and crank arm splines. I got mine at the begining of last summer and had the same prob on that pair. RF sent me a new pair BEFORE i sent mine back!! If you know someone with this problem get in touch with warranty at RF they WILL take care of you. the newer production do not seem to have the problem. I have been VERY happy with my diabolus cranks.
Good to know, thanks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Natedogg said:
I had the same question. I dont get it, you always see marketing photos of a Free with Saint cranks...

I was under the impression that they didnt end up making the 805. Ive never seen an 805 rear hub (the 150). Am I just out of touch with the latest??
They are out there i just think that most people that purchace these type of specific DH products usually buy other brands, like hadley for hubs, so the saints are not stocked heavily.

FYI you can look at www.bti-usa.com they are a large wholesale bike distributor. The site is available to anyone to brouse. (w/o prices of course) Great place to gather info about what is available out there with some specs and sizes/colors etc. They show the rear 150mm saint m805 hubs as in stock.

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
dude, dont forget the "57.5mm chainline" the SCB website points out... if the saint is available in 83mm BB, just make sure that the rings will sit at the same dimention the diabolus is...

allready went that way with the tech support guys and they recomend not to go with saints.... chainline problems...

bought a new set of hollzfellers and everything is fine... never had a problem with either the old ones or the new ones, and i keep riding rockgardens and kickers

Natedogg

Monkey
Jun 10, 2003
Mazzzzchappi
davep said:
FYI you can look at www.bti-usa.com they are a large wholesale bike distributor. The site is available to anyone to brouse. (w/o prices of course) Great place to gather info about what is available out there with some specs and sizes/colors etc. They show the rear 150mm saint m805 hubs as in stock.
Yeah, Ive seen that. But Comparisonpricing doesnt list any 805 stuff, and I havent seen any 805 on the online retailers websites.

Actually, just doublechecked and it looks like Airbomb has it... but no one else does and Ive never seen 805 on ebay, RM, BS, etc. I assumed that these places claimed they were in stock but really didnt have it. Even the Saint website doesnt list the 805 hubs. :confused:

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I use a Saint crank on mine and have no problems. A friend uses the RF Diabolous on his and no problems either. I don't use a washer on the non-drive side. Both of our VP-Free's are 05 if that matters any.