Quantcast

Santa Cruz VP free for my girlfriend....experiences with them?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
So, the Girlfriend enjoys downhilling with me, which is cool, except, she needs a bike.

What's a VP Free worth? Anyone riding one that hates it? loves it?

Ideally if she doesn't feel like she is going to fly out the front all the time, and it has good brakes (which this one does) and it soaks up the bumps pretty well for her than it should work. Does it have decent geometry that will make her feel comfortable on downhill/freeride trails? Is it fairly durable (she'll prolly never ride it hard enough to break it)

bike is a 2007, marz dual crown fork, blah blah

CLos

Chimp
Jan 28, 2007
I have had one since 05 set up for mostly for DH 888 up front. Great bikes that can take a beating and still pedal well (although they can be heavy). The suspension soaks up pretty much everything I ride (up to east coast double blacks ect) and is as plush as any of my friends DH rigs. The suspension is basically the same as the Intense 951 (215mm travel) with a little more freeride geo. I guess its a little tall compared to new generation bikes but when riding I can't tell and if she is just looking to have fun and not try to compete at the World Cup level ect, then I would def say go for it.:thumb:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I have had one since 05 set up for mostly for DH 888 up front. Great bikes that can take a beating and still pedal well (although they can be heavy). The suspension soaks up pretty much everything I ride (up to east coast double blacks ect) and is as plush as any of my friends DH rigs. The suspension is basically the same as the Intense 951 (215mm travel) with a little more freeride geo. I guess its a little tall compared to new generation bikes but when riding I can't tell and if she is just looking to have fun and not try to compete at the World Cup level ect, then I would def say go for it.:thumb:
Kinda my thoughts as well. When you say a little freeride geo vs dh what do you mean?

I get that it has a taller BB, that seems to be commented on across the web, any other major differences?

How heavy would a small be? My kona she used to borrow was 40 lbs, and she rode a buddies asterik or something and that thing was super heavy, if the vp free can come in under 40lbs then I am not too concerned.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
with modern parts i'm sure you'd have no problem getting it to 40 or less. its not one of those tin can new race frames by any means it is a burly bike intended to last a long time. it has a little steeper head angle and seat angle so it can climb good for what it is. my buddy used to rip up the trails on his. it not a RM approved dh bike cause it doesn't have a 60* head angle, but i assure you, your chick should have no problem shredding on it.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If it's easy enough for you to consider other options, I would. The VP-Free has a fairly high BB and I don't think it would be the most confidence inspiring thing for a girl. Being "in" the bike makes things a lot easier, especially when it comes to downhill and not going over the bars.

There are many cheaper frames out there with much better geometry. They are fairly light, and virtually all recent SC bikes are very durable, but geometry should be the first thing looked at on any bike.

CLos

Chimp
Jan 28, 2007
Exactly as stated above. You can get them below 40lbs with lighter parts. Mine is a med dual crowned w/Dh tubes and sits right at 40Lbs. Not like that matters to me though I have seen some posted in the mid 30s with lighter stuff. As for the geo. yes it is a little steeper than the full on Dh rigs but with a dual crown up front I could not tell and I ride the steeps just fine. The bottom bracket is slightly taller too but it gives plenty of room to pedal. It's not like its unstable and when seated the sag brings it way down anyway.

Check the reviews if you already have not. You probably know this already but reading into a 1/2 lb here or a degree there really does not make that much difference actually riding and you can spend lots of $$ for very little change. There are plenty of choices out there and I definetly recommend this one as a good choice.

laxstar118

Chimp
Oct 26, 2010
San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
I recently put the shorter 8.5"x2.5" shock one my vpf which lowers the bb about and inch and slackens it out a bit. It still has nearly 8" of travel. The geo change is noticeably better in my opinion and the suspension still feels the same.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
My wife has a small 05 VP Free and loves (well, loved) it. Her build was more FR-oriented than DH. I hit a slalom course on it and loved it for that as well.

It may be for sale, soon...:( Post kid she didn't have as much time and therefore confidence to ride DH as much as we used to.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
all great words of advice.

We will have the opportunity to test ride the bike, so that should help in the decision making, cool to see I can slacken it out a little for her too if the need arises.

Other than being a bit more free ride than dh it sounds like a great choice, considering she probably won't notice a HUGE difference either way.

as for weight I am not overly concerned, 40 lbs is a good durable number IMO, and she is not weak, so she doesn't need 30lbs....on the flip side my bike is currently at around 38lbs, I picked up a friends giant glory to load on the bike rack the other day and ti was a beast, he said it weighed 48 lbs (no idea on the accuracy of his claim), that would be too heavy for her, but anything near 40 is fine, and if I can get sub 40 thats fantastic.

Those of you that have them, what do you think a fair price is?

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Aside from the frame, what are the other parts?
It's got a fork and some tires and some brakes and **** :rofl:

This is what he sent me.

Marzocchi 888 WORKS custom built fork (Always serviced by Marzocchi)
Chris King Headset
Saint Cranks
50/50 Pedals
Fox DHX 5.0 w/ heavy spring
DT Swiss Hugi Free Ride Rear Hub
Sram X9 Rear Derailleur
E13 Guide & Bash Guard

Seems like more than a solid enough list of parts for my gf.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If it's easy enough for you to consider other options, I would. The VP-Free has a fairly high BB and I don't think it would be the most confidence inspiring thing for a girl. Being "in" the bike makes things a lot easier, especially when it comes to downhill and not going over the bars.

There are many cheaper frames out there with much better geometry. They are fairly light, and virtually all recent SC bikes are very durable, but geometry should be the first thing looked at on any bike.
yup. the geo on them is ****. Santa wanted a do it all bike and it ended feeling pretty akward. even with the offsets it may feel strange. the easy way out would be a sunday - good geo and cheap.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I recently put the shorter 8.5"x2.5" shock one my vpf which lowers the bb about and inch and slackens it out a bit. It still has nearly 8" of travel. The geo change is noticeably better in my opinion and the suspension still feels the same.
this. plenty of happy short-shocked VPF owners out there...seems like a good way to go to modernize the geo.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A

built this for my girl friend last summer and she loves it. I got it down to 33lbs shes 5' 2" and about 75lbs. I picked the vp free cause it was one of the smaller bikes that would fit her, the top tube was a little shorter than the other small options. I was looking at a few single pivot options but thought the linkage rear end would suit her better as shes not learnt how to pop over stuff and it should be more stable under braking. The only down side is that its on the tall side. Her standover isnt the best but once shes rolling its fine. Im going to get some offset bushings done soon and which should help her out. So far she loves it. It seems to tick most of the boxes of her riding requirements

bullit398

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
Neptune, NJ
this. plenty of happy short-shocked VPF owners out there...seems like a good way to go to modernize the geo.
I'm a big fan of the short shocked VP. I rode the bike for years regular and years short shocked. It was a noticable improvment in handling and the 1/2 or so of lost travel is not missed.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Another ex short shock VP free racer here, loved it when I was getting back after injury. Very forgiving bike that lets you get away with mistakes while you learn. Couldn't recommend it highly enough (with a 8.5x2.5 shock)