Quantcast

Saratoga Springs Scene?

eastwudz

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey bro, I graduated from Union College last spring, just down the road from Skidmore in Schenectady. The mountain biking scene SUCKS... but that's because it's super flat. However, if you drive pretty far north to Whiteface, the riding up around Lake Placid is awesome.

The road scene is huge though, and there is a bike path that is actually mildly interesting with lots of twists and turns. Saratoga is also home to the Serotta factory, and it's totally worth taking the tour. The bike shops are pretty friendly up there too.

The real riding worth checking out though is at the racetrack... Saratoga in the spring/summer/fall is AWESOME when the thoroughbreds are in town.

eastwudz

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Not sure about the skate park... there are certainly a few in in the area, and I know there's a BMX track somewhere around there, but never bothered to find it.

Of course, given how laden the capitol region is with bars, you'll never be bored, even if the riding does suck. The 'Toga bars are the ****, for sure. Plus, Union and Skidmore are full of hotties, so you'll have plenty to do.

elevate

Chimp
May 13, 2002
upstate NY
There is a core group of DH riders in Toga. Actually quite a few! When you get here stop in the shop and you can hook up with some riders.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
It is upstaty NY there has to be some good mountainbiking NO?????..I have done a couple motorcycle races up in that area I find it hard to believe there are not to many hills...

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Saratoga has some awesome MTB specific trails. Check out Elevate Cycles in town.

On top of that, go 2 exits north on 87 and you have 3000 acres of excellent trails at Moreau Lake State Park (aka Spier Falls). Go to the Ranger's station and buy a pretty gppd map for a buck. There's a good amount of freshly built singletrack there with some really good climbs/descents.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We have GREAT biking in our area and if you're into DH it's only 2-3 hours from Whiteface, Jiminy Peak, Killington, Mt. Snow, Diablo & Platty. We live in an AWESOME area for biking. Definitely check in with Elevate to meet up with some of the local DHers and check out www.saratogamtb.org to learn about some kick ass XC trails. I ride the SMBA trails a couple times a week (or more when I can) and Spier Falls is about as good as it gets (if you like to climb). Drop me or McGRP01 a pm when you get here...we'll show you around for sure!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
eastwudz said:
Hey bro, I graduated from Union College last spring, just down the road from Skidmore in Schenectady. The mountain biking scene SUCKS... but that's because it's super flat.
Super flat??? :confused: Guess you never made it to Spier Falls and the SMBA trails are great!