Quantcast

Sat 3/21 Pisgah Ride

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have been wanting to do this point to point ride for quite some time. It rivals right up there with down Laurel up Wash Creek Road, to Spencer, then down Trace.

After not riding regularly for some time even shuttling the first climb didnt eleviate all of the pain. The push to the top of Black hurt a bit. Then again when we decided to head up Sycamore.

Some ride stats
Summary Data
Total Time (h:m:s) 4:03:03 15:39 pace
Moving Time (h:m:s) 2:36:14 10:03 pace
Distance (mi ) 15.53
Moving Speed (mph) 6.0 avg. 29.0 max.
Elevation Gain (ft) +2,839 / -3,966

The Map

The Elevation Profile

Fun with Motionbased
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7843156

Good group, good times for sure.

Jun 11, 2004
My ride today at my local trail did not hurt as much as I had feared. You see Kenan said to "Conserve" early on in the ride, that's why I was pretty much last to the top each time. :clapping:
My legs were pretty rubberized last night. Thought I was gonna wake up in a world of hurt today....but surprisingly felt fine. Was good to be back on the bike........looking forward to the next ride.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
up 477, down Bennett, up clawhammer, down black, sycamore cove via grass rd?

Nice ride...next time you do a point to point try this: Park at the parkway...WALK to the legal start of Pilot Rock, down pilot, right on 1206, left on 476, S mills river trail, buckhorn gap to 5 way intersection at clawhammer, black mountain to overlook, then left on turkeypen gap to a car at turkeypen.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
up 477, down Bennett, up clawhammer, down black, sycamore cove via grass rd?

Nice ride...next time you do a point to point try this: Park at the parkway...WALK to the legal start of Pilot Rock, down pilot, right on 1206, left on 476, S mills river trail, buckhorn gap to 5 way intersection at clawhammer, black mountain to overlook, then left on turkeypen gap to a car at turkeypen.
Yep, that's the route.
I am now on a point to point kick.
I got out the trail maps last night.
Your route sounds sick.
I have never ridden Turkeypen.

Have you ever done the Club Gap trail from 477 down to the intersection with Avery? If so, what's it like. I want to try that instead of going up 477, then hang a right at the Avery intersection and pop out at the top of Bennett.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Yep, that's the route.
I got out the trail maps last night.
Your route sounds sick.
I have never ridden Turkeypen.

Have you ever done the Club Gap trail from 477 down to the intersection with Avery? If so, what's it like. I want to try that instead of going up 477, then hang a right at the Avery intersection and pop out at the top of Bennett.
It wouldn't be terrible in that direction. I think it would likely be granny ring climbing for some of the way, but it might be quicker than pedalling up the backside of 477. Club gap from the 4-way down to the cradle is sweet though, just really short.

The top of buckwheat is SICK coming from that direction though (I think Mike took you on a ride that did that section).

Turkeypen is sick, but is brutally difficult in either direction because its a ~7 mile ridgeline.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ah, so that's how we are going to get Sh___tling and Pisgah in the same thread un noticed. :clapping:

Down Laurel up Wash Creek to Spencer, down Spencer (Fletcher option), back to the Upper Trace Trail Head, back to Wash Creek to Spencer, then down Trace to the N Mills River Campground.

My legs hurt just thinking about it.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I was just talking to JonnyNails about this route. I'm trying to talk him into doing it next week if it doesn't rain too much over the weekend.

Club Gap is short (0.8 miles ), but steep and rocky. It's no worse than anything else we've hiked up, but ridable. Avery Creek comes out below Bennett. Buckwheat Knob is the one that dumps out at the top of Bennett. It's a fun ride for sure.

Shoot me a PM if you wanna go.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Right now its kind of a toss up between a Morewood Shova ST, and an 08 Giant Reign 1. Any opinions?? Im kinda leaning toward the Morewood at the moment. But at the same time Im torn between going with Maestro suspension, or the single pivot on the Morewood.

salmansp

Chimp
Jun 8, 2008
Up Clawhammer-Left Up Black-Down into Club Gap. - Up/Down Buckwheat- to Bennett.

Best pedal up for the most DH.

Check out the Transition TransAM. Set it up with a 36 or Lyric and 1-9-or 18 speeds and you can shred anything in Pisgah. Absolute perfect geo.& the steel feels like an inch or so of travel. I never touch the Bottlerocket anymore.

salmansp

Chimp
Jun 8, 2008
For UP and DOWN.

Transition Covert. Hands down.

Large Frame 5 1/2" rear with or DHX 5.0 Air
36 in the front with dual ring DH kit from Transition weighed in at 33lbs.

Med Frame with RP23 and Single ring AM kit will run <30lbs.

Basically a single pivot with swing link, but beefy and feels like 6+" or travel. HTA around 68degrees, perfect for the DH.

Selling the BottleRocket for one. So if anyone wants a top-build bottlerocket let me know

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Right now its kind of a toss up between a Morewood Shova ST, and an 08 Giant Reign 1. Any opinions?? Im kinda leaning toward the Morewood at the moment. But at the same time Im torn between going with Maestro suspension, or the single pivot on the Morewood.
With those choices why not a Heckler?