Quantcast

***Saturday GMT***

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Nothing on the agenda for besides couch potatoing with the little one while the wife is at work. Good thing too I guess cause I woke up this morning and my nose is running like a broken faucet. Ugh...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Better sleep through modern chemistry, ftw.

Cough is harsh but feeling better. Probably not skiing today, but if not today then definitely tomorrow before teh SB50. Coffee in hand, time to loaf about for the morning.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Went to the Colorado Symphony last night. Holst's The Planets: a warhorse but highly enjoyable.

Afterward I roughed out my taxes: will end up owing about $4k to the Feds and getting $6k back from the state. (It was a weird year: used some traditional IRA funds toward closing, thus the Federal bill, and got a state but not Federal EV tax credit for the used RAV4 EV.)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Slipped on ice and jarred my knee last night, supposed to be racing a 100km winter race tomorrow...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Put the lid on the Brita pitcher the wrong way. Spilled about a half picture all over the floor and my feet. Cat wiped out in it and then thought the mop was a toy. Seemingly no fear of water like a normal cat....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Put the lid on the Brita pitcher the wrong way. Spilled about a half picture all over the floor and my feet. Cat wiped out in it and then thought the mop was a toy. Seemingly no fear of water like a normal cat....
In the 70s we had a family cat who would stalk grass hoppers and jump into the pool chasing after them. He had to be taught to swim to the ladder because scrambling out the sides was hit or miss. Once he learned how to get out the easy way he jumped in to catch the grass hoppers almost daily. The cat loved to eat grass hoppers.

Now that that cool story is out of the way, I have noting going on this weekend, lay low and remain hydrated is what I have been told to do.

Also gusting winds to to 60MPH today... there will not be any snow left anywhere east of the mountains in Montana.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
In the 70s we had a family cat who would stalk grass hoppers and jump into the pool chasing after them. He had to be taught to swim to the ladder because scrambling out the sides was hit or miss. Once he learned how to get out the easy way he jumped in to catch the grass hoppers almost daily. The cat loved to eat grass hoppers.

Now that that cool story is out of the way, I have noting going on this weekend, lay low and remain hydrated is what I have been told to do.
I am still suffering from the Thursday night bongshed shenanigans.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning. I ran a 10K today. Tough going due to ice...a good 3.5 miles of the race was on ice and snow. Constant slippage underfoot that was an energy suck and made it very difficult to just run. I ran a 41:42, which was good for 9th overall and the age group win by a wide margin. Slower clock time than I wanted but actually a good race performance under the conditions.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
took kid to rex kwon do. then trailwork. brought beer and bike to trailwork. tested some jumps and lines. all is good. kreeped milfs at the y while kid had swim lessons. made a fire. planning to go see a friend's band in a bit....

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Chores done, started taxes, cold keeping me down, fixin' a pork chop sammich for dinner. Day # ??? without a bike ride. Hope to ski tomorrow.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Been going from LBS to LBS in search of four 2mm chainring spacers with 10mm ID. I have acquired three so far.

Also have decided to wait to ride the new Spitty until I get new wheels for it. It's been well over twenty years since I've had a bike with all new parts. Kind of liking this idea. So going to put old wheels back on the V1 and resume flogging it on muddy trails.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
as I assumed, the meeting at the transit agency was a waste of my time. To vent my frustration I went to the Archery range and shot arrows at the 40 yard target in the wind for over an hour then took the wife wine tasting and out to Dinner. Dimitris Taverna served up a mean brased lamb shank with pasta ( skipped most of the pasta to preserve the diet). Time to go take the dogs for a 30 minute walk to burn off some calories.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Just finished From Russia with Love. (Watching through the Bond flicks in chronological order.) I like this new TV setup. :thumb:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I can spin you as many as you need in stainless for $0 if you're still looking....
Thanks man, that's a great offer, but as it turns out one of the questionable spacers with a larger OD than the other three fits but just barely clears the chain. If I get all OCD about it, I could sand it down on the belt sander. One LBS is ordering some spacers but wasn't sure about the ID, just thickness. Never would have thought the most complicated problem on this bike is converting a Shimano XT 2x crank to a 1x.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I love supporting local folks, but I'd go hope or king or hadley before i9, although from what I hear their current gen hub is less finicky to service/falls apart less than earlier ones . . .

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I love supporting local folks, but I'd go hope or king or hadley before i9, although from what I hear their current gen hub is less finicky to service/falls apart less than earlier ones . . .
I don't like a hub that is held together with little more than O-rings. First time I had to fix a flat on the trail the cassette/freehub assembly fell off and I spent a lot of time looking for and cleaning pawls.

Free hub bearings blew up after less than one summer. They replaced it with a new assembly with a double row bearing. The math tells me that they will last longer but will still need replacing every few years.

There is also no adjustability. My rear wheel has a bit of slop in it that I can feel while riding. The solution is to replace the bearings. They are pressed in so you have to have the proper tools or send your wheel back to i9. No way in hell I would have the hacks at the LBS touch them.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I9s ordered, bearings be damned.

I've heard nothing but good feedback on them, and to me they seem like they are less risky than some of the other manufacturers.

@johnbryanpeters I've had good success with Shimano hubs as well, and would consider a set, but after thrashing two expensive rear Mavic wheels I just want something better.

Also going toobless which should put the bike at around 28.5 llbs. Not bad for 160mm front and 140mm rear travel.

Like I said, It's been a looong time since I had a bike with all new parts, so why the fuck not ?