Quantcast

Saturday ride @ Nassahegan State Forest

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Myself, MBC, MMcG, tonyhawk, and two non monkeys (but soon to be monkeys? :D ) hit up Nassahegan State Forest in Burlington, CT Saturday morning (just a few miles from MMcG's house). I had only ridden there once before. There used be a lot of man made stunts to play on (ladders, bridges, jumps, etc), but we discovered that must of it's been torn down. :wonky2: That was a pisser. Despite that, we had a good, tiring three hour ride. :cool:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Early into the ride, we come to Devil's Kitchen (I think that's the name of it). One of the most technical downhills I've seen on a CT trail. Rocks galore.

Here is MBC kicking it's butt (stupid bluriness). MBC's last ride on the Blur, most likely. :sneaky:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Tonyhawk led us to a trail he wanted to check out but hadn't ridden. GOOD CALL. It was probably about four miles of sweet, tight, twisty singletrack. It pretty much made the ride. Along this trail, we found this ladder bridge that survived.

Tonyhawk...

followed by Charlene on the 575....

and MBC gives it a go with some body English.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
FERNS.

MMcG cruises over a bridge.

Last pic.....
Ed playing on this skinny that we came across.

Awesome ride and great company, followed by some good grub at our house. I'm looking forward to riding that place again. :)

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
thanks for hosting the bbq afterward! great ride, fun time, and perfectly cooked burgers and hot dogs :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Great Ride. I got a little sunburn too during the BBQ. Laura was smart and put on sunscreen.

That was a fine ride. I'll add my photos soon, once I charge up my batteries or get new ones for the camera.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
You guys have some nice stuff down there in CT.!! :thumb: And wait....did Mark put a suspension fork on the 29er!?!? :eek: Must have gotten tired of getting sore hands all the time. :rofl:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Tigg - I always had the Reba. The KM fork was sort of an experiment. I wouldn't rule out a different rigid fork up front on that bike at some point down the line though - just something with a little more compliance than the Surly fork.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
splat said:
compliance ??????
Yeah - the Surly is 4130 Cromoly and super stiff and unforgiving.

Other forks out there - the Salsa Cromoto Grande comes to mind - are made from True Temper OX Platinum or other better grade tubing and are therefore more compliant riding forks.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
splat said:
compliant to what ?
Splat - I guess I could equate it to riding a road bike with an Aluminum fork vs. riding one with a good steel fork. Which one would make the ride less harsh? Well the same concept applies to the Surly Karate Monkey fork, vs. other rigid forks made from higher grade tubing. The higher grade steel fork will "absorb" more of the trail harshness than the KM fork does.

splat

Nam I am
MMcG said:
Splat - I guess I could equate it to riding a road bike with an Aluminum fork vs. riding one with a good steel fork. Which one would make the ride less harsh? Well the same concept applies to the Surly Karate Monkey fork, vs. other rigid forks made from higher grade tubing. The higher grade steel fork will "absorb" more of the trail harshness than the KM fork does.
I understand , that I just don't understand the use of the word compliance in this context. there is not a standard that you are comparing to.

and if you are worried about absorbing harshness , they have a solution for that it is called suspention.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Maybe I should use the word forgiving then.:eviltongu

Enough with the banter - here are some more pics (man I suck at taking ride photos).

Ed on the skinny:

More Ed

IAB on the Skinny - first attempt. Note the use of an old radiator to hold up the skinny!

IAB - on a successful run. Nice balance and good form Babs!

Ladder shots

MBC!

Good times!!!

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
there are still plenty of stunts and technical natural trails at nass. if you guys are interested in checking them out i think i could arrange taking you out at some point.

huckqueen

Chimp
Jun 8, 2006
CT
yup, I'm a monkey (aka: HQ, huckqueen on bikerag). Smitty (aka: Smitty, Radar on bikerag) not yet.

Ditto to all the thanks for the bbq and awesome day of riding. First time at Nassahegan, and we were not disappointed. I liked that sahweet single track across the road. And Devil's kitchen was fun... a couple of minor dabs. Looking forwards to seeing Tonyhawk ride it in reverse! Nice pics (even the blurry ones!).

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
From an enginerd's perspective the compliance is the inverse of the elastic constant. In other words, more compliant = less stiff. MMcG is using the correct meaning for the word.

BullitGrrl said:
yup, I'm a monkey (aka: HQ, huckqueen on bikerag). Smitty (aka: Smitty, Radar on bikerag) not yet.

Ditto to all the thanks for the bbq and awesome day of riding. First time at Nassahegan, and we were not disappointed. I liked that sahweet single track across the road. And Devil's kitchen was fun... a couple of minor dabs. Looking forwards to seeing Tonyhawk ride it in reverse! Nice pics (even the blurry ones!).

AH HA!

There she is! LOL

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BullitGrrl said:

Welcome HQ - I mean BullitGrrl! :wave:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BullitGrrl said:

Mark, sweet second pic of me on that skinny. :thumb:

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
BullitGrrl said:
And Devil's kitchen was fun... a couple of minor dabs. Looking forwards to seeing Tonyhawk ride it in reverse!
crap, I shouldn't have said that out loud...