Quantcast

***Saturderp GMT***

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
The blonde dog ate nearly an entire kneecap last night, and subsequently crapped in the kitchen. It’s a good thing he’s handsome and mostly well-behaved, the little jerk.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My big guy poked my youngest in the face with a fork for no reason. I caught the action out of the corner of my eye. I flew off the handle. Now my wife is mad at me, and the boy. I'm mad at the boy and myself. And my little guy is like wtf is going on? Great way to start the friggin weekend.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My big guy poked my youngest in the face with a fork for no reason. I caught the action out of the corner of my eye. I flew off the handle. Now my wife is mad at me, and the boy. I'm mad at the boy and myself. And my little guy is like wtf is going on? Great way to start the friggin weekend.

Flying off the handle is an appropriate response when your kids start forking each other.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Narrowly saved my bibs and dignity by aborting an early ride and making it home juuust in time. :panic:
Y U no poop in woods? I keep a quarter roll of TP in my Camelbak’s pocket, because it is a good idea.

Today is my eldest’s birthday. 5!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Y U no poop in woods? I keep a quarter roll of TP in my Camelbak’s pocket, because it is a good idea.
Because permafrost? :think: And because I am a delicate flower. :D
Normally I carry some paper towels with me but I opted for a fanny pack this time and I forgot to load some in it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Task weekend, but I'm hoping to get a climb in with Haley. Wifey wants to redo the fireplace fascade, so we will be looking at stacked stone and reclaimed barn wood today. One more project to be done before the garage... I'm thinking the climbing wall will likely be built in the garage in a front corner. 12ft ceiling with about 10ft of wall length is a good spot I think.

I spent this morning watching Lindsay Vonn: The Climb
and Ashima Shiraishi
with Haley. She's decided that she is going to be faster than Lindsay and better than Ashima.

She took control and decided that she wanted to buy a show on Amazon TV, which explains the miscellaneous Amazon charges I haven't had a chance to track down yet. She was not happy when I told her the money was coming out of her piggy bank.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
cleaning up yard and house. youngest has 8yo bday party later, involving nerf gun wars in the backyard, a video game truck as the main event, and then a sleepover. i have stocked the fridge with appropriate amounts of beer.

going to run a few errands and pick up a few misc things for the bike build.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Had an awesome short ride last night in the dark. Pushed the fat bikes up a large hill and then rode down a steep drifty trail on the other side. I think I had my rear wheel locked for the top half of the chute and still had too much speed. Rode right over the end of a berm and braced for impact, but somehow those huge fat tires found some traction and carried me out. I thought 100% that I was in the process of eating shit. My buddy walked it; when he didn't come out of the forest at the bottom after 5 minutes, I thought for sure he had gone cart wheeling into the bush. :rockout::rofl:

It's pretty warm here and supposed to rain, again. I'm going to venture up north a bit in search of snow. Trails down here are either too icy or too muddy to do anything on.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hello. I ran a 5K race in 20:24. 10th place overall and second in my age group. Not great (for me) but about what I expected after being injured the first half of the month then having three hard workouts this week. Wife ran a 5K personal best, which made doing the race worth it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@HAB that sucks.... hopefully not too bad?

Not to sound like I'm complaining about it being warm out, but damn this has been a crappy winter. It feels like March or late October today. Trails were a mix of pure ice, mud or slush. I did find one piece of trail that was almost perfect hero dirt.

Can we just fast forward to May already???

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Fibula broken in two places, so it's not good. Won't know more until I can get an orthopedist appointment during the week.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
CPR Class done, Now I just need to fill out the County EMS Forms, attach my CPR Card, Proof of 24hrs of Continuing ED, and Skills testing certification sheet , make out a check and send it all in to ALCO EMS and await my new EMT Certification Card good for another damn 2 years

Going to go get muddy on the bike in a few

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Broke my ankle skiing yesterday. :(
shit
Well that fucking sucks
:stupid:
@HAB
Not to sound like I'm complaining about it being warm out, but damn this has been a crappy winter. It feels like March or late October today. Trails were a mix of pure ice, mud or slush. I did find one piece of trail that was almost perfect hero dirt.

Can we just fast forward to May already???
:stupid:. I swung by the bike shop today to see about acquiring some traction studs to screw into my wife's boot for when she can walk again next week (see below). I spotted my 3/4-built wheels for my summer bike while there. :drool: I can't wait to ride skinny rubber on dirt again.
Fibula broken in two places, so it's not good. Won't know more until I can get an orthopedist appointment during the week.
my wife broke her fibula (in one place) just before Christmas. for her, it was a stable fracture and she was able to wear an aircast, which hopefully she can ditch on tuesday, depending on the outcome of her appointment with the orthopedist. if you can, ask/push for an aircast. they make such a difference to your quality of life - being able to take it off, or at least wear it in the shower is priceless. good luck, and healing vibes....

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
story?

too sendy??

hope the pain is manageable, and the ortho gives you good(ish?) news. Hang in there man.
Not even a good story. Was coming out of the woods onto a cat track. Ski tip caught on some icy crud that the cat had pushed up at the edge. Binding (Radical 2.0) didn't release. Just twisted my ankle around and broke it.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
TIL: YES you should (always) drink beer...

https://www.outsideonline.com/2276681/should-you-drink-beer-survival-emergency

11:31 AM - Jan 16, 2018
Q: If you have no water, but have some other fluid, like coffee or beer, is it better to drink those or nothing?

I once helped rescue a couple in Death Valley whose car broke down several days’ walk from pavement. Their only source of hydration? Half a case of warm PBR.

Conventional wisdom has it that drinks containing alcohol and caffeine are diuretics: by making you have to pee, you lose more water than you’re consuming. If that’s true, then drinking beer or coffee in a survival scenario would be a bad idea, as it would only lead to worse dehydration.

A 2013 study in the United Kingdom set out to discover if this was true. 72 test subjects in a state of normal hydration were asked to consume one liter of either water, milk, coffee, 4-percent beer, tea, orange juice, Coca-Cola, Powerade, or an oral hydration solution over the span of 30 minutes. The researches then measured their pee volume over the next four hours. The results: milk and the salt-tablet solution marginally improved hydration, while everything else resulted in the exact same water retention as plain old water.

Of course, this was only a liter of relatively weak beer and a normal cup of coffee, not a shot of tequila or espresso. The ratio of water to alcohol and caffeine was high. Excess alcohol consumption comes with a long list of obvious and negative effects, including a rapid build up of toxins, inflammation, a reduction in your body’s ability to perform its metabolic functions, and even in short term, could lead to health problems that may otherwise impact your ability to survive. Good luck getting away from the grizzly bear if you’re nauseous or have a terrible headache.

So should you drink beer or coffee if you don’t have any water? The best answer is yes, if you do so in moderation, and try to determine if the beverage in question has more water in it than other substances.

As with any survival scenario, there are a couple of important additional points to make:

1. This isn’t good general health advice. You shouldn't rely on coffee or beer for daily hydration, just like you probably shouldn't eat grubs you found in a dead tree for breakfast every morning.
  2. The best way to survive something is to avoid finding yourself in a survival situation in the first place. Take more than enough water with you when you’re traveling in remote areas, and plan routes so that you’ll pass through water sources with adequate frequency. Heck, just identifying water sources on a map before you travel is a good general practice.
That couple I found in Death Valley should have had, at minimum, a couple of gallons of water in their car. Judging by all the empties in the back seat, relying on beer for hydration may also have contributed to the long list of bad decisions that eventually almost killed them.

So @Bunnista and I set out for a ride this morning on compacted snow and white ice. About a mile and a half in my freewheel decided that its pawls would no longer engage. For the next too many miles "riding" consisted of me pushing on uphills and flats, then riding down. There was a lot of pushing on a lot of hills and some excellent downhill on ice.

When the problem first emerged, I told B that I thought I had ice in the pawls. She heard ice in my balls. Hilarity ensued.

Broke my ankle skiing yesterday. :(
Shit, man, sorry - heal up!