Quantcast

Save the woods. . .

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
So if your a trail rider you have probably heard of Catty or www.pawoods.com

I see them as a inspiration to most trail builders, kind of like sheep hills, minersville, posh, saltash and so on. They had the threat of their trails being bulldozed and instead of giving in they have worked very hard at getting a lease from the local government to actually lease and preserve the trails. They have to prove financial responsibility and insurance to be able to do this, the problem is that they can't really hold any jams there to raise money and get things going legit.

So Chris and I have been working on getting my fall jam together to raise money and help them out.

I don't have a lot of details right now, I just wanted to be sure people could get it on their calenders. . .

october 11th rain date october 18th

20 bucks, ride trails, eat food, drink beer. . .

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
They got by the fence thing, there is other legal stuff that has to be paid for though.

Did you make it to last years jam? I don't know everyones handle on here so I'm not sure if I remember you or not.

Layouts basically the same but every jump is a little different, I will get some pics up soon. . . .

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Sounds like a great time and for a great cause. I'd love to make it out there - might be able to get some local trailheads to go out - you are in PA right?

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah Don, couple miles off the PA turnpike a little west of Philadelphia. I can send you directions. Theres some Jersey guys that come over, trail heads from the old White castle trails, I don't know if thats your area or not.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
They got by the fence thing, there is other legal stuff that has to be paid for though.

Did you make it to last years jam? I don't know everyones handle on here so I'm not sure if I remember you or not.

Layouts basically the same but every jump is a little different, I will get some pics up soon. . . .
I am from jersey. Never been to catty. Are the jumps super big?

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Dude, so sorry about the arms! Wrists are my biggest fear, that would sink my battleship.

This is catty if you don't know. . . summer 08 trailer on Vimeo

But the jam is at my house, I have one every fall, last year we raised almost $4,000 for Mike Aitken and the year before $3,500 for a friend that almost died from bacterial meningitis.

Its a super fun time and a good way to wrap up the summer.

serbdog

Monkey
May 13, 2002
drexel hill, pa
Here are two sets that I took last year, new kid has me on lock down this year, now the wrist and elbow pulled me from the championship of fall riding (basically what every digger prepares for all season, wah).

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
i'm friends with the guys who run the beury patch, and they were telling me about it. i guess the deal is with catty is that every time they do what they are told to to keep it going, they get something else they have to pay for.

serbdog

Monkey
May 13, 2002
drexel hill, pa
basically how cities/gov't works - it sucks but kudos to them since their digging dedication shows in the legal dedication, plus their cement/wood/dirt park.

cattywoods

Chimp
Sep 15, 2009
basically here is the deal with catty, its been going on for years to get the trails legit, working with the town was not a good outcome because the town used their lawyer to research the project and make sure everything worked out right. i understand he is doing his job, but he incurred over 10,000 in legal fees, which is pretty wild. catty wants us to pay that back so it doesnt come out of the taxpayers money. we found insurance on our own and have that now, we are signing the lease this month and the trails are basically ours then. only hurdle now is paying off the legal fees which we have to pay monthly, so every bit of money helps and the faster we pay it off the quicker we dont have to worry about it then the trails can basically be ours forever. want to find anything else out go to pawoods.com . thanks

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
sounds like its going well. i hope everyone that fills out a release form to ride donates as well.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
basically here is the deal with catty, its been going on for years to get the trails legit, working with the town was not a good outcome because the town used their lawyer to research the project and make sure everything worked out right. i understand he is doing his job, but he incurred over 10,000 in legal fees, which is pretty wild. catty wants us to pay that back so it doesnt come out of the taxpayers money. we found insurance on our own and have that now, we are signing the lease this month and the trails are basically ours then. only hurdle now is paying off the legal fees which we have to pay monthly, so every bit of money helps and the faster we pay it off the quicker we dont have to worry about it then the trails can basically be ours forever. want to find anything else out go to pawoods.com . thanks
$10,000 in legal fees actually might not be that bad I'd be interested to see what the itemized list said - like his hourly rate and exactly what he did. Once you get in the $100+ per hour rate, hours get used up quick. Is there any way to package it and sell to other trails going thru the same thing?

Also, any info on how you got the lease and insurance? Did you guys have to set up a non-profit org and run it thru that? Sorry for the bunch of questions - just thinking what might be doable in my area....

TT - looking real hard at getting to your jam. I'll try to bring some heads along too - only guys I let at my spot so they'll know how to ride/respect plus have some donation funds :)

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah Don, It would be great to have you guys. You will probably see some familiar faces from the old racing days. The lines are fun and very forgiving, people get it dialed in a couple runs and then its just endless trains.

Also don't forget the food. We usually do Lasagna, enchilladas, wings, veggie burgers along with the normal bbq of burgers, dogs and chicken. It really is the cheapest $20 ever.

cattywoods

Chimp
Sep 15, 2009
$10,000 in legal fees actually might not be that bad I'd be interested to see what the itemized list said - like his hourly rate and exactly what he did. Once you get in the $100+ per hour rate, hours get used up quick. Is there any way to package it and sell to other trails going thru the same thing?

Also, any info on how you got the lease and insurance? Did you guys have to set up a non-profit org and run it thru that? Sorry for the bunch of questions - just thinking what might be doable in my area....

TT - looking real hard at getting to your jam. I'll try to bring some heads along too - only guys I let at my spot so they'll know how to ride/respect plus have some donation funds :)
yeah we got the itemized bill he makes around 150 dollars an hour and most of the stuff was him answering emails and making phone calls, he basically didnt do much on our part but make sure what we did was ok with the laws and stuff. we got insurance thru philadelphia insurance group and work thru the insurance lady her name is mish and really helpful with getting insurance for trails. and yea we are a nonprofit group, and the lease was setup up thru the town. hope that helps

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
yeah we got the itemized bill he makes around 150 dollars an hour and most of the stuff was him answering emails and making phone calls, he basically didnt do much on our part but make sure what we did was ok with the laws and stuff. we got insurance thru philadelphia insurance group and work thru the insurance lady her name is mish and really helpful with getting insurance for trails. and yea we are a nonprofit group, and the lease was setup up thru the town. hope that helps
Yeah, that definitely helps - big thanks. I've had some ideas cooking but not sure what direction to go especially in NJ (high land prices/high insurance) but you never know.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Wicked fun time at Ted's yesterday. Tons of people and styles. From younger kids rolling thru stuff, to 20" bmx trail riders, to DH guys in gear. Weather was perfect for a day at the trails. And the place was running great too. I could tell a lot of work had gone into get stuff ready.

Big thanks to Ted for hosting not to mention all the work he was doing. I was happy to see him get some runs and not working the whole day :)

Pawoods has some pics.

And here is some helmet cam stuff I have on Vimeo:

Ted's Benefit Jam For Catty Woods Trails on Vimeo - shortcut to the lower line

Ted's Jam - Lower Line on Vimeo - John and me taking the shortcut to the lower line. Make note of the bmx rider hitting the freeride stuff and then overcooks the berm/roller and sends into the prickers. Dude was crazy hitting that stuff on the small bike. Also note the amount of people waiting to take runs and this was when it was slow. At one point - both side of the trail were stacked with riders.

Ted's Jam on Vimeo - shortcut to the lower line

Ted's Jam on Vimeo - Couple of Catty Locals off a lower line dub

Vimeo / 503 Service Unavailable - High Jump Train (helmet cam does it no justice)

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Wicked fun time at Ted's yesterday. Tons of people and styles. From younger kids rolling thru stuff, to 20" bmx trail riders, to DH guys in gear. Weather was perfect for a day at the trails. And the place was running great too. I could tell a lot of work had gone into get stuff ready.

Big thanks to Ted for hosting not to mention all the work he was doing. I was happy to see him get some runs and not working the whole day :)

Pawoods has some pics.

And here is some helmet cam stuff I have on Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/7024240 - shortcut to the lower line

http://vimeo.com/7024360 - John and me taking the shortcut to the lower line. Make note of the bmx rider hitting the freeride stuff and then overcooks the berm/roller and sends into the prickers. Dude was crazy hitting that stuff on the small bike. Also note the amount of people waiting to take runs and this was when it was slow. At one point - both side of the trail were stacked with riders.

http://vimeo.com/7024397 - shortcut to the lower line

http://vimeo.com/7024424 - Couple of Catty Locals off a lower line dub

http://vimeo.com/7024467 - High Jump Train (helmet cam does it no justice)
Rad stuff. This berm rules..

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks a bunch Don, sorry I wasn't able to catch up with you but it is allways a busy day for me.

The jam was awsome, a lot of guys couldn't make it because it was the final race at Plattekill but the turnout was good overall, probably 150 or so over the whole day.

I also have to say that the friends I've made riding bikes are awsome. After a all day party where people showed up at 9 am and didn't clear out till 10 pm I was left with probably less than 1 hours clean up over all. Thats one thing that makes it easy to do this every year.

Travis Jurell was blowing my mind with rediculous flat out speed.

Mark from catty was riding with some awsome flow, landing a step up in a manual and riding it effortlessly through the rollers.

Adam was doin t-whip to tuck nohander on a pair of jumps with a tight bowl, not much time to get the feet sorted ;)

Collin got his flair to fakie

I just got to catch a few of the sick things being thrown down, if only I had time for pics. . .

serbdog

Monkey
May 13, 2002
drexel hill, pa
It was a perfect day weather wise, you threw a really great party and the weather could not have been better with the leaves just starting to fall. I did not get to meet you so hopefully I can make it out again when it is not too hectic since it was crazy (in a good way).

Not being able ride that setup was a bummer as was a simple little cord for my flash setups, so I could never really get them working... I guess that is what happens when you don't check your gear bag before heading out.

Tons of pictures here, some good, some bad, some blocked by leaves - ha.

I want to see the video from this camera and not the video that I took with Janis's video camera since my hands were jittery with my brace.

It was good to run into a lot of people and catch up, just wish there was more time to do these sort of things.

Again, thanks for putting on an awesome jam/party. I wish I would have brought my son since there were a lot of other little ones hanging out.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
dam Serb, I saw the 3 remote flashes you had out in the woods and I was thinking "whos got the sick setup?" Maybe we can catch up at catty nov. 1st? if not there is allways next year, come out whenever you want.

Yeah that was Don filming, I met him before somewhere but I didn't know he was coming out, he lives in western PA.

Awsome pics too, the day is allways a blur for me so its cool to get to see the pics later.

and I really dig the pic of peanut. . .

Last edited:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Serb - damn, didn't know you were there - would have been good to meet up and chat. Spot on with the weather - perfect for jeans and t-shirt riding. And agree with it being crazy in a good way. I'm so used to riding either by myself or with just a few people at the trails so it took me a while to adapt. It was fun once I figured some lines out. Still didn't get the mid-level line dialed as I didn't want to stop the flow of everyone behind me - those Hips that people were riding looked fun.

Great pics - some of those guys were riding so good. Those 2 dudes on the orange 26'ers. That one guy on the red Revell was smooth and stylish. Catty crew could be spotted a mile away.

I'm stoked you got some nice pics of my bro John and me. I need to step it up compared to those other riders... but real beautiful shots with the composition and lighting - thanks!

Me: http://sabbra.com/teds/DSC_0249.jpg, http://sabbra.com/teds/DSC_0203.jpg
John: http://sabbra.com/teds/DSC_0211.jpg, http://sabbra.com/teds/DSC_0247.jpg

Need to do stuff like this more often but the family stuff eats up a bunch of time on weekends.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
and I really dig the pic of peanut. . .
That little girl was riding so good! She kept right up with the pace. Hope to see her keep with it - she'll be jumping that whole place in a few more years.

Her dad had a Crit Plate shirt on and I starting talking to him about the old Crit Plate/CT and New England rippers like Mike Savage, Robbie Lincourt, & Mark Lincoln from the 80's but he didn't know who the hell those guys were. I guess Crit just came back on the race scene.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
/\ /\ /\ /\

Peanut and her dad enjoy tearing up Pottstown as well.

good times Ted!!!!!!

Don wish I would of had the chance to meet you man. we should of had a ridemonkey
group announcement or something.

I brought the video cam too but it didn't even leave the car. damn.

serbdog

Monkey
May 13, 2002
drexel hill, pa
Janis just posted this video and at the end it has some stuff from Sunday.

Hopefully get to talk to more people next time that I faces to put with names. I just hope the weather stays nice... for at least a few more weeks.