Quantcast

Saw something cool at the moto shop.....

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Maybe this is old news, but I thought it was pretty interesting that the new Answer Pro Taper bars are 31.8 with a really low rise, and no cross brace....cool to see MTB technology trickling over to the moto end of things...usually it's the other way around....I asked the guy at the shop when they started doing it....his response was, "it's all new technology and it saves 2 or 3 pounds"...i nodded and walked away as quickly as possible....

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...and so the predictions of DW have come to pass.

Not too long ago in a post about suspension, he said that in 10 or so years he wouldn't be surprised to see MX bikes using linkages instead of the ol' single pivot.

...also Showa was using a Foes Mono as a test bed for a shock that had a resi that could be moved up to 150deg. on a pivot. in the same plane as the shock body. There was a pic of this from Sea Otter this past year somewhere....:think:

The cross-over has already begun.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
S.K.C. said:
...and so the predictions of DW have come to pass.

Not too long ago in a post about suspension, he said that in 10 or so years he wouldn't be surprised to see MX bikes using linkages instead of the ol' single pivot.

...also Showa was using a Foes Mono as a test bed for a shock that had a resi that could be moved up to 150deg. on a pivot. in the same plane as the shock body. There was a pic of this from Sea Otter this past year somewhere....:think:

The cross-over has already begun.
I wanna see a DW link on a moto.....that sunday carried it speed over medium sized stuff so well, I could only imagine what one of those linkages would do for a moto over whoop sections....scary....it's all about the rearward arcing axle path.....just might be goin that way myself pretty soon here

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
At the Vespa shop near my house they have a helmet with a picture of Audrey Hepburn on it.

I didn't buy it though.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Protapers have been out in MX shops for a decade (maybe 15 years, atleast in the early 90's). Buldged with no brace. Requiring aftermarket clamps if not complete upper crowns.....$$$ cha-ching

I remember when I couldn't get high performance aluminum riser bars anywhere for MTB's.....gowd I am old.

Rhino

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
RhinofromWA said:
Protapers have been out in MX shops for a decade (maybe 15 years, atleast in the early 90's). Buldged with no brace. Requiring aftermarket clamps if not complete upper crowns.....$$$ cha-ching

I remember when I couldn't get high performance aluminum riser bars anywhere for MTB's.....gowd I am old.

Rhino
Some mention......
http://dirtrider.com/drtested/141_0411_triple_clamp/

Tru Technologies Ride Control Top Triple Clamp
November 2004

When aftermarket triple clamps first appeared in the early 1990s, they were bought for the sole purpose of enhancing the appearance of your ride. No one gave it much more thought than that; after all, who cares what it does as long as it looks good, right? Then Answer Racing developed the ProTaper handlebar. It drastically cut down on vibration transmitted from the motor to your hands and assisted in impact absorption. But this bar was larger than a standard handlebar and would not fit into a stock triple clamp. And then there’s the whole revised fork-offset rage. Now there were plenty of reasons to buy a triple clamp.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
Where have you folks been? Pro Tapers have been around for ages. I want to say like 92. Hey Rhino, or anyone else for that matter do you rember the O'neal IFS 7/8" no cross brace double wall bars?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
im pretty sure they were out before mtb ones were....first on motos then on jetskis and then mtb if im not mistaken

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
trialsmasta said:
Where have you folks been? Pro Tapers have been around for ages. I want to say like 92. Hey Rhino, or anyone else for that matter do you rember the O'neal IFS 7/8" no cross brace double wall bars?

Yeah they have but not 31.8.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I believe the MTB protaper came first. Remember the original Answer Hyperlite? Those came out in the early '90s. I was under the impression that the taperwall technology that was developed for the hyperlite and makes the Protaper possible was developed for mountain bikes where weight is more of a concern. Remember the anorexic bikes of the '90s?

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
unless I'm not aware of a new model coming out, protaper bars are 1 1/8" A.K.A. 28.6 milimeters in diame.
they being availaible since the early 90' for motorcycles, so far i don't know of any updates in the sizing and i think i will know since I buy about 60 to a 100 of them per month for the last few years.

Fast Monkey

Chimp
Jun 14, 2003
Washington
You wanna read something funny... ANSWER doesn't make PROTAPERS.... ahhhhh the shock... all these kids... hahahahah Easton has ALWAYS made Protapers.... shame they couldn't use the name on there MTB bars...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
H8R said:
At the Vespa shop near my house they have a helmet with a picture of Audrey Hepburn on it.

I didn't buy it though.
Why not? You could wear it on alternating days with your Judy Garland helmet.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Fast Monkey said:
You wanna read something funny... ANSWER doesn't make PROTAPERS.... ahhhhh the shock... all these kids... hahahahah Easton has ALWAYS made Protapers.... shame they couldn't use the name on there MTB bars...
actually is even funnier in a sad kind of way, the name "protaper" is own by a really big wholesale company name Tucker Rocky as many of the other "Answer" motorcycle products when the bicycle segment is own by another company (at least just to be own my manitou) one thing is for sure no matter how many protaper motorcycle bars i buy from Tuker I can not even get OnE of the bicycle bars at wholesale...

the Moto bars are made by Easton under a very rigid agrement with answer and is no way in h6ll to get them directlly from easton (believe me I try) is all complicated bussinness stuff, actually is another company that sell bars with the same protaper technology (variable and progresive tapers and rifle internals with variable wall thinkness ussing EA70 alloy) call 909 and those are sold by "parts unlimited" the other mega wholesaler of motorcycle parts.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Ian Collins said:
I know protapers have been around a while, but not in 31.8, and not stock on yamaha 250s

the large majority of bikes are now coming stock with renthals or protapers instead of the jello steel ones they used too. Excellent marketting idea as that is one thing most people change first