Quantcast

SB trail access

Gambo

Monkey
Just got this off of MTBR forums it from the dirt rag.

Dirt Rag Fresh Dirt

Access Alert—Santa Barbara
By: Karl Rosengarth

A proposal scheduled to go before the city of Santa Barbara threatens mountain bike access to Tunnel/Jesusita Cold Springs and other front country trails. The proposal may restrict mountain biking to half of the year on some or all of the trails, via an odd/even day allocation system. The Multiuse Trails Coalition, which was formed in 2006 to promote safety and "equal trail access for all" in Santa Barbara, encourages mountain bikers to attend a public hearing on April 6th at 7pm in the David Gephard Room, 630 Garden Street, Santa Barbara. The Multiuse Trails Coalition has just launched a web site with more information.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
any idea what the website is? I wonder if hikers will be held to the same restrictions, odd/even, or if they always get access and we still have to take it in the buttocks?

I hope every mountain bike rider in SB shows for that meeting.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
W4S said:
any idea what the website is? I wonder if hikers will be held to the same restrictions, odd/even.
Nope. This was proposed about a year ago, and has made no progress untill now.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Bump up. Meetings tonight monkeys, make it out there and let your voice be heard!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
W4S said:
Does anybody have some info on what happened at this meeting? How's the attitude towards bikers up there these days?
Meeting: They gave the proposal and background of the issue, pretty civil at this point. The even/odd plan was put forward.
Public comment: was all over the place. A lot of it had nothing to do with the proposal and was just bitching, finger pointing and straight out lies. MTB folks were there in numbers, but unfortunately not enough chose to speak. This is a mistake that won't happen at the next meeting ;)
Outcome: nothing yet. More meetings to come, but it looks like even/odd days will not happen. Something will happen, but not right away.

Attitude towards bikers: remember all the squeaky wheels were at the meeting, most folks don't have a problem with us. Most of my trail encounters are still friendly and cordial. Just be nice out there and don't totally race on the trail, slow up for blind corners and expect you are going to see someone.

AND WEAR YOUR BELLS!! I don't care how annoying they are! Many at the meeting bitched that we still aren't using bells, don't give them any more ammo against us.
And that means XC guys too!! the last several times I've been on Romero I saw large groups of XC guys, no bells, going fast:redhot:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Zark said:
Meeting: They gave the proposal and background of the issue, pretty civil at this point. The even/odd plan was put forward.
Public comment: was all over the place. A lot of it had nothing to do with the proposal and was just bitching, finger pointing and straight out lies. MTB folks were there in numbers, but unfortunately not enough chose to speak. This is a mistake that won't happen at the next meeting ;)
Outcome: nothing yet. More meetings to come, but it looks like even/odd days will not happen. Something will happen, but not right away.

Attitude towards bikers: remember all the squeaky wheels were at the meeting, most folks don't have a problem with us. Most of my trail encounters are still friendly and cordial. Just be nice out there and don't totally race on the trail, slow up for blind corners and expect you are going to see someone.

AND WEAR YOUR BELLS!! I don't care how annoying they are! Many at the meeting bitched that we still aren't using bells, don't give them any more ammo against us.
And that means XC guys too!! the last several times I've been on Romero I saw large groups of XC guys, no bells, going fast:redhot:

Noah,

Thanks for the update. Keep me updated on future meeting dates. I will try to arrange my schedule so that I can attend future meetings...