Quantcast

SC Bullit or DEMO 9

nsr3

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Philippines
I cant decide between the two..

I have a Santa Cruz Bullit with a Fox DHX 5.0 rear shock..

am planning on selling it to give way for a '04 Specialized DEMO 9 DH frame..

please help and advice.. :rolleyes:

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
nsr3 said:
I cant decide between the two..

I have a Santa Cruz Bullit with a Fox DHX 5.0 rear shock..

am planning on selling it to give way for a '04 Specialized DEMO 9 DH frame..

please help and advice.. :rolleyes:
What do you mean you can't decide? You already have the Bullit right? So you're just wondering if you should sell it and get the Demo. Be honest with yourself on this. You said you’re just a weekend DHer so do you really need a huge bike like the Demo 9? Are you planning on doing bigger drops or riding much rougher trails? The Bullit is a great bike for the weekend guy that wants versatility. If you shuttle sometimes and have to pedal/hike other times and you like to do an occasional trail ride then keep the bullit or get a Vpfree (very versatile). The Demo is not a good pedaling bike and unless you ONLY do DH runs or huge hucks via shuttle or lift then the demo is not a good choice for you.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would also consider the Demo 8. It is significantly lighter and I believe much more popular than the Demo 9.

nsr3

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Philippines
ncrider said:
What do you mean you can't decide? You already have the Bullit right? So you're just wondering if you should sell it and get the Demo. Be honest with yourself on this. You said you’re just a weekend DHer so do you really need a huge bike like the Demo 9? Are you planning on doing bigger drops or riding much rougher trails? The Bullit is a great bike for the weekend guy that wants versatility. If you shuttle sometimes and have to pedal/hike other times and you like to do an occasional trail ride then keep the bullit or get a Vpfree (very versatile). The Demo is not a good pedaling bike and unless you ONLY do DH runs or huge hucks via shuttle or lift then the demo is not a good choice for you.
well said..

and i do take trails and have found the bullit to be very suitable for it..

here's the thing..i am considering getting the '04 DEMO 9dh or buy a FOX DH40 fork for my bullit..

what do you guys think?

santacruzed

Monkey
Nov 6, 2004
hickory, nc
i agree with ncrider.....if you are just a weekend DHer.... and most stunt locations (minus resorts of course) involve hiking/pedaling so being a fellow bullit owner....i would stick with what you have...unless you are planning on doing "movie" magnitude drops and stunts

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
FOx 40's are nice. At firestone dh, near santa barbarba, I demoed a demo 8 with a 40, it felt really good, and it is pretty light. I think bullits are really good and they are more versatile, it would be better for xc trails, urban riding, DJ....On a bullit you can do a lot ( but it is still a very good freerider).

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Hey Bro!

I've got a Bullit and think I finally have dialed in to perfection for just about any kind of riding I want to do. The Bullit is extremely versatile, low maintenance and pretty much bullit proof, no pun intended. I have it built up with a 2004 888R which I converted to 7" of travel instead of the original 8". I also installed the compression sleeve upgrade, extra heavy springs and Golden Spectro oil at 7.5wt. Previously I was running a 2004 Super T which is also a nice fork but honestly, the 888 blows it away. I am using the 5th Element Coil shock for the frame and have been very happy with it once adjusted properly. Here's the kicker, I weighed the Super T and the 888 and guess which one is lighter? The 888 is about 1/4lbs lighter than the Super T. One other note about the 888. I am running the Go-Ride Low Rider Crowns and in the 8" travel mode I felt the bike was still a little too raked out and was a little sketchy in fast loose turns. In the 7" setting it rails. The only frame that I would prefer over the Bullit would be the VP Free or perhaps the new Nomad. The verdict is still out on that one as I've seen a few but have not ridden one yet. I think it would be interesting to check out a Bullit with a DHX 5.0 like you have too. I hear nothing but good things about those shocks.

The DH 40 is an awesome fork. I don't think you will have any complaints about one of those. All my friend that have them, love them.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
a bullet or a heckler is my choice. I as well do a couple of DH events each year and I do not want to lug around a 40lb plus anchor. Personally i like the bullet but might opt on the heckler. The bottom line is usage.

If you get that demo you may only really use it once in a while.

jay on his cove's got it right as well.

ever considered a Yeti AS-X? that might be your dream bike.

awholelota

Chimp
Apr 29, 2004
sf bay
i had a bullit a few months ago. i was just like you. just a weekend rider. the hardest thing for me to do was sell my baby to buy another bike, but i'm glad i did it. i picked up a used vp-free and i'm loving it. try it out before you buy a demo. it'll feel more at home, and take less time to get used to. one day on my vp-free and i felt just like my bullit, but a 100 times better.

nsr3

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Philippines
thanks for all your replys guys! :D It has helped me a lot! and so i have decided to keep my bullit. For the reason that the bullit is lighter and more versatile than the '04 DEMO 9, As i have said i am only a weekend downhiller and most of the time i go urban freeride with my bullit or my hardtails.

And for now my bullit is running a '03 Jr.T w/c i have been wanting to upgrade for so long. So know i will just go with my decision of getting a DH40 w/c i think would be suitable for me since it is light and sturdy. i was opting for getting a Fox36 VAN model coming end of the year but since i have the budget for the Fox40 what the heck! :thumb:

lonewolfe,

ever since i changed my rear shock from the 5th to the DHX 5.0 my bullit delt like a different animal! Response is so different from the 5th and believe it or not i feel more confident landing w/the DHX. Plus guess what, its a lot lighter..

given the chance i suggest go for one too.. :D

trailblazer,

i dont like the Yeti asx, i would never trade my bullit for that frame. If ever you guys are right, since i am so used to my bullit i would probably just get a Vp free sometime..

thanks to you all again!

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
stubby said:
tyler klassen has one and he said it was unreal, enuff said, i love my 40! you will be hapy.
i like your 40 too! haha i'm the kid on the bullit that was at the fontana race with you and rode with you the first practice run that friday. I've just gotten an 888 and i'm in love with it.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
trailblazer said:
/\/\/\/\the AS-X is not big enough for those looking at 8" and a DC i guess.
Strange, I know people that go HUGE and F-A-S-T during races and freeride shoots with them...

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
Freeriding does not necessarily require a huge, overbuilt bike. Look at some of the pros, at the rampage last year, a lot of guys were using pretty light set ups. Most of it comes down to how you build jumps/drops or which ones you pick to ride. I see a lot of people regularly doing 7-10 foot drops with barely any tranny. Those people need a bike with lots of travel and super strength. But then, if you build a good tranny, you can go a lot bigger and land much smoother. Yesterday I did a 20' drop to 40' distance road gap, one of the biggest stunts I've ever done, and since the landing was super steep and smooth, I barely used half of my travel. The guy who built the stunt hits it on his hardtail, regualarly. I ride a Bullit, and have loved it for 4 years. I think the Demo 9 would be quite an improvement, but only in regards to rough terrain. My argument is that you don't need a ton of travel to go big, but the travel really helps for racing and super gnarly terrain.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
exactly why i am getting the AS-X. I require no more than 6". Where i live there are no mountains. Just hills and rolling terrain. Purrrfect for trail and free.

bigger? i allways wondered why? I mean 5 years ago 4" was the standard.

smooth riding with finess while being relaxed and in controll.
booyah.

SGF2

Chimp
May 8, 2005
Portland
Bigger is better with travel. I'm up to 8in and with the suspension it climbs like a 4in travel (excluding the weight). What you really need to consider is what are you going to be riding. I have three riding buddies and here is the progression of bikes they have had over the last three years.

Rider 1 - Klien Adept Race less than 4 inches of travel. Sold it in two months for a Santa Cruz Heckler (5 inches). Still not big enough (couldn't put a DC on it). Sold it bought a Yetti ASX - Loves it.

Rider 2 - Rockey Mt Element - less than 4 inches of travel (had it for a while). Azonic Saber (6 inches) - not bad but still ended up wanting more. About a season and a halr bought the Santa Cruz vp-Freel - Loves it.

Rider 3 - Kona Bear 4 inches - Kona Stinky 7 inches (again less than two seasons) bought the 66rc and is waiting to purchase a bigger frame

Me went from 5.75 to 8 in less than two years.

We have spent a lot of money finding out what kind of riding we want to do

Be careful, FR/DH is addicting and you want more, not to necessarly go bigger but to go better :o) And you will get better if you ride...