Quantcast

SC Heckler owners, need help

ckooi

Monkey
Aug 19, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
got not much response from DH forum... decided to repost here
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bros,
i just gotten a Heckler frame and putting all the parts on the baby, one thing I found out is... The frame cable mounts are placed in a way that it will induced cable rubbings.

m putting pads to protect the frame from scrathces. Care to share some close up pics on your cable routing?

Thanks

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
While I don't ride a Heckler, all my frames have cable rub, what I did is go down to the auto parts store and gett some clear tape that protects your car from rocks/bugs and just cut a peice and put it wherever you have rub issues.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Everyone always talks about the clear protective tape. I have always used the loop side (soft half) of velcro. Cut a small piece of the soft side and stick it were the cable rubs. Sticky backed velcro of course. If you use enough of the loop half and have a strip of the hook left, I use the hook as a chain slap guard for my chainstay.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Instigator said:
Everyone always talks about the clear protective tape. I have always used the loop side (soft half) of velcro. Cut a small piece of the soft side and stick it were the cable rubs. Sticky backed velcro of course. If you use enough of the loop half and have a strip of the hook left, I use the hook as a chain slap guard for my chainstay.
i used clear plate sealer too, it's more discrete is all....

Curious where you get sticky backed velcro?

Also you can get the plate sealer at a motorcycle shop, i've had a package of 3 sheets and it's lasted me for multiple bikes. Also whatever sticker you use it's a good idea to not have squared corners, round them corners to prevent it from peeling up and off.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Skookum said:
i used clear plate sealer too, it's more discrete is all....

Curious where you get sticky backed velcro?

Also you can get the plate sealer at a motorcycle shop, i've had a package of 3 sheets and it's lasted me for multiple bikes. Also whatever sticker you use it's a good idea to not have squared corners, round them corners to prevent it from peeling up and off.
I've seen the sticky backed stuff in some craft stores as well as K-mart.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't have a problem with mine but I don't usually care about a little cable rub. One thing I do though is use a little electrical tape to hold my rear brake and front deraileur cables together, this prevents one or the other from bowing out when the suspension compresses.

And maybe it's me but the velcro idea would look pretty bad unless you've got a black frame or colored velcro no?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I welded a sheet of dimond plate and have never had issues with cable rub other than the cable may wear through after a while, but the frame is well protected.

ckooi

Monkey
Aug 19, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
Carbon Fetish,
Thanks, this give me new idea on my cable routing... darn, LBS took a shortcut on the RD cable (near the frame triangle).