Quantcast

SC Jackal vs Yeti DJ - Suggestions?

Str8Dwn

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
ATL
I'm looking to purchase a new 4X/DS bike for local riding and have narrowed it down to the 2010 models of the Santa Cruz Jackal and Yeti Dirt Jumper. The eventual plan is to ride/race the bike on a local DS course and BMX tracks. It's unlikely I'll get back into true DS/4X racing.

The Jackal's $1399 price for a full build is appetizing despite it's lower-grade kit.

The Yeti would cost me ~$2500-3k built the way I'd want with primo parts kit. But, it's way too much for a second bike.

While the two frames are similar in price, the added $1050 in parts for the Yeti build is just not achievable.

Specifically: Will the SC be well suited to 4X/DS riding? What would you do in my position?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I have the new 2010 DJ. I do not think neither that it's worth the big $$ difference. Alloy (race) hardtails are pretty similar with a couple minor differences in the geo.

However, I can vouch for the fact that the bike is a SOLID performer, and when built lightweight parts, can easily be raced in cruiser class in BMX races (I do it with satisfactory results). The geo is really good and the adjustable rear chainstay is a nice addition (although I think you can do the same with the SC).

So, in your position, I would get the SC and ride as soon as possible!!

Will try to post pics of the said bike soon.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I see used DJ frames on ebay and craigslist regularly for <$500. Do yourself a favor and save some $$. buy a used frame.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The biggest geometry difference between the two is for the same fork travel, the yeti is over a half inch lower in BB height.
I would be willing to pay a little more for that.
But not that much more. :D

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
remember when jenson was blowing out yeti dj frames for 300 dollars? I bet you feel like a dummy now

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The DJ is a sic bike, I love mine (see my avatar). Mine is a 09' long and the only downfall is that the light weight comes at the price of T-H-I-N tubes. It was pretty easy to put some dings in the downtube.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Check go-ride.com
They have the Yeti for $400.

I love mine, and it resists fat stupidity.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I'm assuming the OP talking about the new 2010 Yeti DJ.

I'm not in a position to make a recommendation, but I have lusted after the new Yeti ever since seeing Graves bike in person last year. The seat tube, the drop outs, the.......Yeti-ness.

To me, the Jackal doesn't have any appeal.

And yet they probably would do the job equally well.

I've heard both are uber-stiff though, designed for a fast gate I guess. I have an Orange MsIsle and it's pretty stiff...almost too stiff if you ask me. It seems like a regular joe might be better off on a more compliant bike... (Not that the OP is a regular joe!)

Str8Dwn

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
ATL
I wouldn't buy either. Just 'cause you have the money doesn't mean you have to spend it... :)
Sound like my wife...LOL :weee:

Thanks everyone. I think the Jackal is the way to go for now. I even tried to price the same exact kit the Jackal comes with for the Yeti, but still several hundred more expensive.

I still find it ironic that the Jackal is billed as a DJ bike, while the DJ from Yeti is really more of a 4X bike.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Here are some bad pics of my 2010 DJ. Great bike as I said before. I get crazy gate starts with that bike, it's so stiff.

Led me, yesterday, to a second place @ the Canadian 4x Nationals in Bromont!! YEAH BABY!

Of course, I'm clipped in for racing! and the seat is lower!!

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
@Demo 9: No worries, just had little sleep last night... had a couple beers after the race!

@Christiaan: Large frame. I tried medium before buying and felt way too cramped on it. Large is perfect, it gives me plenty of space. No heel rub issues at all also

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Bumping up a bit this thread, but this new NukeProof bike should be a solid contender for next year. Heard it will be about 600$. No words on geo yet.