Quantcast

Scams On Ridemonkey!

I wanted to inform you all that I was contacted by a marketer that was interested in buying my bicycle. It was a scam, the name of the buyer was Harold Donald supposedly from Nigeria Africa, the "Shipping Company" which was supposedly going to come and pick up the bike in person has the following address:

Saheed Tunde Salau
35 dopemu road
Lagos , Nigeria

The company (who doesn't have a website) who had written out the check is:

GlennX, Inc.
858 Foothill Blvd,
La Canada, CA

The shipping company that sent the check via UPS was located in Florida:

Marcia Tebeau
Electronics 'R US
1492 Tangerine CT.
Winter Park FL

After an intensive search they did end up having a webpage but I was not able to find it through means of searching online istead I had to use the small note included in the package and found a reference: electronicsrus.weblodge.net

I suspect that it was Marcia that signed the check because although it is almost illegible, the first letter of the names is M.... T... I felt the need to inform you all in case they try to contact You. Three days after being contacted by Harold I had recieved another e-mail with an errily similiar set of instructions for how they could buy my bike with the e-mail address: t_campbell1980@yahoo.com the author of the e-mail reffered to himself as "Tom"

So remember not to do business with any of these persons. If you are contacted by someone that is "really excited" about buying your item and supposedly has an address in Africa (the check for the $375 bike was $2,450 to cover shipping it 6,000 miles) do not procede with the transaction they so conveniently lay out for you.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
That's actually a pretty classic scam. They write a fake/stolen check for some crazy amount and then you ship off your bike never to be heard from again. Did they ask you to cash the check and then send them the remainder of the money?

Read about it here: http://www.ic3.gov/crimeschemes.aspx#item-16 (click on Counterfeit Cashiers Check). You may want to report your experience on the same website.

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
this reminds me of the time i sent all that cash to a friendly nigerian banker. i sent him a couple grand and my bank account number, and he was supposed to transfer $47,000,000,000,000 USD to my bank account and i could keep 10%. sadly i havent heard from him in a while. i hope hes ok.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
same peopkle tried to buy my bike as well. I even told them it was sold to somonme else and they offered to up the ammount I could keep if I sold it to them insted. I strung them along for a bit but got bored with the whole thing and eventuaslly they went away.

Naw, noone was ever going to come get the bike. He said "his" company was going to personally come get it from my house, but they had no intention of doing this after I would send them the money.

So, no, i still have the bike and i burned the check so it's good.

TrekBro

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Greensboro NC
I have received this. spam
email of the buyer d_charles1980@yahoo.com

first email

//**Hello,
I would like to know the following information about this items:
Where are you located?
What's the reason for sale?
What's the present condition of this items?
What's the final asking price given?
Will you accept US Cashier check for payment?
Please get back to me as soon as you can,and i will be waiting to hear
from you soon.//**
just to let you know, all the info he's asking for is in my ad, so that means this person don't even look at the description of the item that I'm selling , I just want to know everything again, that just too obvious that this email is a spam.

2nd email
//**Hello,
Thanks so much for your fast response... The cashier check
that will be issued will include the money for
the sales of your item + the shipping cost and my
commission like i said in my earlier mail .I would
like to restate clearly that this item will be shipped
to england and I have a shipping agent who would take
good care of this.
You are required to cash the draft you will recieve
and deduct the funds for the sales of your item and
have the excess funds sent to the shipper via Western
Union Money Transfer at one of their outlets around
you in order to schedule the pick up of the item.
All neccesary transfer papers will be dully signed by
the shipper on behalf of my client when the shipping
agents comes for the pick up of the item.
I will be willing to entertain more of your questions
that might arise, please provide your CONTACT
NAME,ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER so that I can have it
forwarded to my client for immediate payment issuance.//**

skerb

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Clemson,SC
i got the link from abigail so i sent her a pm back

do not click on any links

hers said:

greetings from abigail or something like this and at the bottom it said

-----
abigail
www.randomasswebsite.com

so i sent her a pm back with

greetings

----
skerb
www.meatspin.com

i hope she clicks that link

FOR THE RECORD do not click that link

dhphoto

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
Lynchburg VA
I got that pm from Abigail, did yours have a link to just a bunch of random stuff?
HAHA I got the same damn thing...agreed, it does seem a bit sketchy...I imagine that if you clicked the link, it put some sort of spyware on your computer, or something of that shady nature. Stupid scammers/spammers/people who suck.

dhphoto

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
Lynchburg VA
i got the link from abigail so i sent her a pm back

do not click on any links

hers said:

greetings from abigail or something like this and at the bottom it said

-----
abigail
www.randomasswebsite.com

so i sent her a pm back with

greetings

----
skerb
www.meatspin.com

i hope she clicks that link

FOR THE RECORD do not click that link
oh and props to you for the hilarious reply to that PM...some genius friend thought that would be funny click a link to that site a while back, yeah its weird, I dont recommend it. Except to send to idiots.

D.E.T.

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
NC
The link didn't appear to put anything on my computer, as far as spyware/adware go. McAfee, is normally pretty good about catching that sort of thing.

Last year when I was trying to sell my .243 on Pinkbike, some guy from the UK tried to pull one of those money order scams on me. I wish I still had the emails they were quite humorous, the guy could not spell or form a proper sentence to save his life. I ended up playing along just to see how fake the money orders looked. The idiot wasted 4.70 pounds to send them to me. Then I sent him a link,to the Gov. fraud website, with a picture of a real money order and a fake next to each other.