Quantcast

Schwable muddy mary performance??

DanSheridan

Chimp
Feb 7, 2009
Ireland
Just picked up a set of muddy marrys, which say performance on them...not sure what they story is with them, are they designed for DH? The sidewalls seem quite thin and also the compound is pretty hard, Also they seem to be alot cheaper than the DH version.

Heading to a race this weekend and dont want to take any chances with them. Doesnt say DH on them just performance.

Can someone let me know what there designed for?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Just picked up a set of muddy marrys, which say performance on them...not sure what they story is with them, are they designed for DH? The sidewalls seem quite thin and also the compound is pretty hard, Also they seem to be alot cheaper than the DH version.

Heading to a race this weekend and dont want to take any chances with them. Doesnt say DH on them just performance.

Can someone let me know what there designed for?
Rock em, they hook up great! IF the sidewalls arent snakeskin watch them (if course has alot of jagged rocks). They hook up like any MM and will grab a handful of crap and spit it out. Love these tires, if its wet and slimy then the guey glueys would be better but Id just rock em...
OK its a 50 duro wirebead single ply freeride or light DH tire for racing.
The 50 will be softer than the triple and not as soft as the guey gluey...

Whats the course rocky, dry, wet etc????

As far as grip I wouldnt worry about it alot Id probably run a little less pressure 28 or so to get rid of tire deflection they are 2.4 from what I can see and Id rock me hard!!!!
I raced freeride triples and gueys last year with great success and the only tires Ive had issues with were when I landed on a rock and destroyed the rim! (4 times :D)

Oh and good luck! :thumb: Pics!!!! (of race)

Last edited:

DanSheridan

Chimp
Feb 7, 2009
Ireland
Thanks, Not sure on the track as im heading to wales from Ireland for a race, but what i can see its going to be dry. The track doesnt look rocky so they should be sweet.

Cheers for that I wanted to make sure they wernt made for XC/AM as I wasnt sure what the 'performance' meant.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I've had a few pairs through warranty... they are garbage (snakeskin or not).

Tires fall off the rims, pinch flat, have exposed beads and you get a smart ass email when you contact Schwable about why any of the above have occurred.

Matt 891

Chimp
Apr 14, 2008
Salem, VA

Tires fall off the rims, pinch flat, have exposed beads and you get a smart ass email when you contact Schwable about why any of the above have occurred.
Ive been riding MM for over a year. Not a single issue

great tire. plan on buying 2 more when the funds become available :thumb:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

this sounds like pre-evolution tires... when did these failures happen? and what was the color of the schwalbe logo on the tires?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
this sounds like pre-evolution tires... when did these failures happen? and what was the color of the schwalbe logo on the tires?
Yeah, Sethimus is right. The new ones have none of these issues. If you get the gold or silver lettering on the sidewalls then you should be fine.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
"light DH" to me means...flats when you least expect it. DH tire means abuse. I prefer to abuse, not be abused. Race DH on DH tires. All it takes is a single rock or root on a track to expose a "light DH" tire.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Love the Muddy Marys and the Dirty Dans are a monster tire... Hooked up way better than I could have hoped.
They are an innovative company and they pinned it with the dirty dans as an addition.

No issues with seperation as they did a couple of years ago, silver and gold label tires are solid no issues at all. Im pretty excited for 2011 as well, they are a great company and Im happy to be riding schwalbes...

Howd the tires hook up for you for the race????

wicked cool

Monkey
Jun 22, 2004
i had the fr version of the muddy marys and the side walls are wayyy to thin if you go fast at all.

although i did LOVE the grip/feel of them on fresh/loamy trails

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
i had the fr version of the muddy marys and the side walls are wayyy to thin if you go fast at all.

although i did LOVE the grip/feel of them on fresh/loamy trails
DH casings, any FR or single will have some issue or another hell I blew a single off a rim in a G-out. Scared the hell outa me it was pretty cool man what a rush....
Ive had great luck with the FR version schwalbes though better than the other brands Iveran with ALOT less issues and the main were my doing... LOW psi etc...

The snakeskin takes harder hits and rashing then other singles out there.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Yeah, Sethimus is right. The new ones have none of these issues. If you get the gold or silver lettering on the sidewalls then you should be fine.
"Pics or it didn't happen"

Sure there are quality control issues here and there. All of my issues stemmed from silver ones new last Summer. Whatever, I get that there are quality control issues but the emails I got from customer service (actually a upper manager, as the warranty dept was unavailable the last time) were rude and uninterested in giving me new tires because "they were afraid to take one on the chin". As far as the four- five dh tubes they put me out of- their response was "we're out of tubes and not sure when they will be back in". Both times I was told I did not qualify for their advertised 2-1 product replacement.

Hope their grassroots "team" support (and product) is better than what is available for customers.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
"Pics or it didn't happen"

Sure there are quality control issues here and there. All of my issues stemmed from silver ones new last Summer. Whatever, I get that there are quality control issues but the emails I got from customer service (actually a upper manager, as the warranty dept was unavailable the last time) were rude and uninterested in giving me new tires because "they were afraid to take one on the chin". As far as the four- five dh tubes they put me out of- their response was "we're out of tubes and not sure when they will be back in". Both times I was told I did not qualify for their advertised 2-1 product replacement.

Hope their grassroots "team" support (and product) is better than what is available for customers.
Looks like a steel rod throught the tire, or is it wood?
Either way its straight and more than likely hit straight on so it would have penatrated almost any single ply!
Snakeskin wouldnt have stopped a straight peircing stick, it stops rash hits on the sides from rocks etc....

Last edited:

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
That would be the bead of the tire.:thumb:

They were new last summer. The replacements Schwable sent me around August had the same cosmetics and also had issues. Both times I was told by Schwable that the gold moniker and quality control issues did not apply to the North American market.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That would be the bead of the tire.:thumb:

They were new last summer. The replacements Schwable sent me around August had the same cosmetics and also had issues. Both times I was told by Schwable that the gold moniker and quality control issues did not apply to the North American market.
Ive never had an issue Bobby Root has never had an issue I know alot of people that have never had an issue. What rims were you running and how hard were you cranking on them to get the bead on!

Ive done that on maxxis and some rims I had a couple of years ago...

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
That's cool you and your buddy haven't had issues.

I'm showing proof that I have had issues with these tires.

The first one is clearly a manufacturing defect, as the bead was never completely sealed in the tire (two had this problem). The second set which they sent me looked identical and could be mounted on new and old Outlaws and some no name rims WITHOUT the use of a tire lever. Again, a manufacturing or quality control issue. The wheels in question have been run with all sorts of tires and tubes with no issues.

That's great you have had such a positive experience to advertise for them in your signature, however my experience has been quite contrary.

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada

The first one is clearly a manufacturing defect, as the bead was never completely sealed in the tire (two had this problem). The second set which they sent me looked identical and could be mounted on new and old Outlaws and some no name rims WITHOUT the use of a tire lever. Again, a manufacturing or quality control issue. The wheels in question have been run with all sorts of tires and tubes with no issues.

That's great you have had such a positive experience to advertise for them in your signature, however my experience has been quite contrary.
I quess all my tires were faulty as i can get every tires on and off by hands.:think:

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
I can testify that Schwalbes work extremely well and I've never had an issue with the bead or with the sidewalls (I run the FR version - snakeskin - )

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Well Im sorry you had issues with them, Its a good thing theres alot of tires to choose from! :thumb:

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I quess all my tires were faulty as i can get every tires on and off by hands.:think:
The resident expert (who couldn't identify a tire bead) was implying that I used some sort of object to damage the tire during mounting when that wasn't in fact the case.

Thank you for bringing this full circle... yes there are other tire alternatives.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Mr Lahey, I think the problem is that you are trying to run an XC casing tire for DH. I too can rip the light casing tires off the rim in a hard corner but the DH model with the GOLD lettering is solid. There were problems in the past and no one is denying that but the current versions are dialed. Try some with the Gold lettering if you are putting them through DH abuse.

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
Mr Lahey's story is legit. It sucks none the less that they didn't stick to their 2-1 product replacement. Sucks Schwalbe lost a customer.

DanSheridan

Chimp
Feb 7, 2009
Ireland
I didnt end up running them, I found the grip was great but the compound was too hard. Defiantly going to look into getting a set of gooey glueys.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Im running 2.4 Gooey Gluey Muddy mary DH's till i get my Big bettys, and they are fantastic, even in the dry (out of their environment) they work awesome, they are also HUGE!