Quantcast

Schwalbe Racing Ralphs

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA

We got ourselves some Racing Ralphs here at Twenty Nine Inches and we actually paid for them! (I know yer all amazed by that one)

Anyway, the 2.4" that was said to be so huge isn't living up to expectations, according to my colleague, Captain Bob. He reports that it isn't any bigger than a Bontrager 2.25 XR. Hmm.....

Mine are not here yet, Captain Bob has 'em and with the icestorm I won't get them until Monday. 2.25's are also coming but not in yet. I'll report more later!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
These are nice tires. They are incredibly flexible making them seem squirmy at pressures other tires feel solid at. (I'm currently running my Schwalbe at 26psi)

We have a lot of snow/ice here now and the Schwalbe is the bees knees for snow riding. It seems to pick up some width on wider rims, more so than other treads do. I got about 57.5mm on the casing mounted very briefly on a Stan's Flow rim. A Kris Holm would really stretch this out more, I think. Of course, volume- or more correctly, the profile of the tire- flattens out too on a wider rim.

I think this tire will be a great addition to the stock pile and I really want to try it on a drier trail as a front for my rigid SS. The casings suppleness should really smooth out the ride!

sportcult

Chimp
Nov 15, 2007
Ted, how is the bump absorption affected by the higher psi? Does the supple casing make up for it? I'm interested in these for my rigid bike also. If you've used a Bonty XR 2.25 F, I'd like to hear how these compare in terms of rolling resistance, traction, and cush since that's what I'm running now. At 26 psi have you noticed if you're just riding on just the center row of knobs on hard surfaces like pavement?

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Ted, how is the bump absorption affected by the higher psi? Does the supple casing make up for it? I'm interested in these for my rigid bike also. If you've used a Bonty XR 2.25 F, I'd like to hear how these compare in terms of rolling resistance, traction, and cush since that's what I'm running now. At 26 psi have you noticed if you're just riding on just the center row of knobs on hard surfaces like pavement?
Good questions!

Sorry about not seeing this for like what.....a week now? Sheesh! I must be blind!

Okay, the Schwalbes seem to be so flexible, compared to other tires, that a higher psi makes them feel like another tire would feel good at when the pressures were 5-10psi lower than the Schwalbes. Same feeling, only your at a higher pressure. Make sense?

I have used a Bonty XR on the front of a rigid rig. It is a very comparable feeling tire to the Ralph. I would give the suppleness nod to the Ralph and the Ralph rolls a bit faster in my opinion, especially at the low pressures I have the Ralph set at, which I wouldn't have even considered for an XR. (Not that an XR wouldn't handle it, I just didn't have the confidence in doing such a thing then)

Interestingly, the Ralph at 26 psi is running it's full tread face on the surface of hard packed snow. I can get off and see the full compliment of knobs impressions in the snow/ice. I couldn't say that for a Prowler SL, for instance, which I am also running at 26psi and it is only putting down the center section of knobs, I'd say about 38mm worth of a 2.1" tire. Again, the ultra compliant casing is the culprit on the Ralph, in my opinion.

I think the Ralph, by it's nature will be a better traction tire than an XR, especially in loose over hardpack which is the XR's achilles heel. I believe the rolling resistance will be slightly better as well. I can't wait till the trails turn back to a rideable state around here. I think the Ralph will be a top choice for the Mid-West riders in '08.

FWIW: I also think that the very nature of the Ralph will be its undoing for tubeless applications, but I don't think tubeless is a necessity with it. It already rolls as if you don't have a tube in it anyway. I fear it will be prone to blow offs running tubeless because of the super compliant sidewalls. Heck, you'll probably have to have them pumped up to the upper 30's psi just to use them tubeless. Why when you can run tubes at really low pressures anyway and avoid blow offs altogether? At least that is how I see this tire.