Quantcast

Schwalbe tire rubber compound change heads-up

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
Schwalbe has changed their rubber tire compound formula. Exhaustive research (or anyway exhausting) coupled with foiled (sorry that's field) testing by top riders has produced . . . something.

Heads up to all who are using this fine brand. I go through about ten Big betty's a year. It's my favorite high volume low weight tire. If you have to pedal up the mountain before you can blast down, the Big Betty is terrific.

I have used both the original triple nano and the gooey compounds for years. The triple was a harder more durable compound which hooked up well. This tire usually lasted me about 4 - 6 weeks depending on the miles. The gooey became road slicks quickly in this rocky terrain.

The new compounds come without explanations, but the "trailstar" wears faster then the old gooey tire. I even sheared off some knobs which never happened with the gooey compound. Unlike the old Tioga Fac. Dh tires, the missing Schwalbe knobs don't take away the casing too.

Also, I run my ties hard to avoid pinch flatting on all the rocky outcroppings here. But I had to add 5# more air to the tire to prevent pitch flats! I got three in as many days before I understood the problem. The center of the tire is apparently a softer rubber.

I emailed Schwalbe to find out what they had done. They recommend the "Pacestar" compound for those used to the Triple Nano.

I ordered 2 of these and will report back to confirm. At $60 each this can be an expensive mistake since I get about 2 weeks riding from the new trailstar
compound.

I posted this in the DH forum as well.

If anyone is looking for a few Schwalbe Big Betty Trailstar road slicks - they're ready. ;)