Schwinn Straight 8

scooderdude

Chimp
Feb 11, 2002
Bay Area
Sandwich said:
cool.

you know, i can't believe that Yeti discontinued the lawill linkage. QUOTE]

Well, one of the plaques of the design as used on the DH bikes was the nonstandard distance between the axle and rear deraileur mounting point. The distance is too great and outside the "standard" distance for optimum function. This is the primary reason, I believe, that these DH rigs had such poor shifting. The derailleur was hanging too far away from the cogs. This was never a problem on the 4-Banger bikes I owned, as they shifted fine. The DH-8 and -9, on the other hand, suck in that department. It takes a constant rowing of the shifters up and down to select a gear properly. You can set it up to either up-shift well, or down-shift well, but never both. It's a compromise.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
scooderdude said:
Sandwich said:
cool.

you know, i can't believe that Yeti discontinued the lawill linkage. QUOTE]

Well, one of the plaques of the design as used on the DH bikes was the nonstandard distance between the axle and rear deraileur mounting point. The distance is too great and outside the "standard" distance for optimum function. This is the primary reason, I believe, that these DH rigs had such poor shifting. The derailleur was hanging too far away from the cogs. This was never a problem on the 4-Banger bikes I owned, as they shifted fine. The DH-8 and -9, on the other hand, suck in that department. It takes a constant rowing of the shifters up and down to select a gear properly. You can set it up to either up-shift well, or down-shift well, but never both. It's a compromise.
The only shifter rear mech combo that works well, really well is the Sram XO and the X-9 Triggers. I have had them on the DH-8 for over a year and they work really well. :thumb:

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
The Straight 8 I have seems to shift good. I am running an older (8spd era) XT rear derailleur with newer XT 9spd shifter.

scooderdude

Chimp
Feb 11, 2002
Bay Area
I have a M-900 XTR derailleur (1st generation) and a SRAM gripshift 8-speed shifter on the DH-9, and a M-950 XTR derailleur and gripshift 8-speed on the DH-8. I have another M-950 derailleur I plan to put on the DH-9, but I doubt that will help much. We'll see.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
scooderdude said:
You can set it up to either up-shift well, or down-shift well, but never both. It's a compromise.

My six shifted better through 27 speeds than any bike I have ever owned prior to and after that bike, even with less gears.

They changed some things with the eights though, and I agree, shifting was pretty wonky. Still, that's when you evolve a design, not scrap it.

M

Montara

Can I get my pull shock Pushed, or does it have to be Pulled? Can Push pull, or can that only be done by Pull? ;)

Scooter – can you measure the axle-to-crown, BB height, and head angle on your 8 and compare them to your 9? Thanks man. And congrats on the repeat wins!

I just put a rollamajig and 105 derailleur with a shortened G-pulley bushing (less side-to-side slop) on and it's the best shifting combo I've had.

conleycm1

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
If anyone is selling the four banger PM me or email me at schwinnstr8@gmail.com: I'm not sure, but I remember that "rtfreerider" was selling a four banger... pretty good condition too. I don't know if he still is selling, but you can find him on these boards. I don't know if I spelled his name right....

I love Lawwills too! I have a small 01 straight 6 with the carbon swingarm. No problems so far, but I only weigh 130lbs :) :) . I don't do drops to flat either ;) But man, that bike goes downhill FAST!! Perfect fit for my style of riding. I'm also looking for a small straight 6/8 DH style with the aluminum swinarm and through axle. Cheap... :) conleycm1@yahoo.com I'm Chris