Quantcast

Science bitch slaps the Low Carb industry, Atkins officials in denial.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior meeting in Naples, Florida. Dave was presenting some data arguing that just because body weight is relatively constant, that does not mean that it's homeostatically regulated. Basically he was presenting a few examples of why the current theories of body weight control might be based on false assumptions.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Sample size = 1 in uncontrolled experiment gives absolutely meaningless data that shows nothing.

The general body of scientific studies on rapid dieting show that:

• 50% of all people who begin to diet never make their target weight
• For those who achieved weight loss, ½ of the weight is regain in first year.
• Average weight loss five years after making target weight = 0 lbs.

Fad diets don't work...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
well my grandma in law tried adkins and lost a lot of weight and then had a heart attack so...... her bad expirience cancels out your friends good.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Heath Sherratt said:
My friend lost 140lbs on Atkins and has kept it off for three years now.
Hmm... Now that you mention it, an old family friend lived to 90, and he smoked a pack a day, and ate a raw egg & a shot of whiskey for breakfast every day. I'll start tomorrow. :wonky2:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Mackie said:
Hmm... Now that you mention it, an old family friend lived to 90, and he smoked a pack a day, and ate a raw egg & a shot of whiskey for breakfast every day. I'll start tomorrow. :wonky2:
It's the whiskey that does it. That's Jack Lalanne's secret. A little whiskey in the ol juicer and you'll live forever!